Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie ..hot bed ..and confused!

Posted by ttsjam 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 9:54

I am a newbie but I decided to build a hot bed to get some of my flower seeds started. I just built it Sunday and put my seeds in it and I already have some stuff that is about 5 inches! It is doing amazing! But I am confused.
It has tons of condensation in it, I am pretty sure this is okay for the seeds but once they are seedlings does it need to dry out some? Do I even need to have it heated? We have been having temps in the mid 50/36- 70/45 (Louisiana weather). Alos on warm days it's a good idea to take the plastic off and let it get nice fresh air and sunshine right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie ..hot bed ..and confused!

What is a hot bed? I don't heat anything, just put the containers out and let nature take its course. You really don't want to get sprouts before they can survive naturally in your area. If I want something early I sow it inside. For most everything, however, I put the seeds in the jug, put them out in the cold and that's that.

I'd take the tops off during the day if it's routinely getting into the high 60s or 70s. What are the night temps? If they're also well above freezing then you probably don't need the tops at all. Also, what are you growing that it's five inches high in less than a week?

o

I think you might have better luck asking this question in the greenhouse forum.

This forum is for winter sowing - we plant our seeds in the middle of winter and let them sit out in the cold and snow until they naturally sprout. We don't use greenhouses or hothouses or cold frames. Just mother nature and a milk jug.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse forum

o

Thanks for the info. The plant that has gotten so big so fast is a Brazilian Morning Glory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here