{{gwi:356159}}

{{gwi:356162}}

{{gwi:356164}}

{{gwi:356165}}

{{gwi:356166}}

Comments (39)

• shemeows
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing them. I think at this point we are all more than ready to start seeing green.

The Dwarf Morning Glory's blue is such an amazing color!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures,your good. :0)
    cAROL

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

What's the deal with Royal Convolvulus; can they be WS. I DS several pack last spring only two plants came up and died after one bloom.

What's the best way to get germination WS or Spring Sow?

• aquawise
    13 years ago

How Sweet they "WERE" I look at mine every single day!
    Some of you have seen them so if you have not have a look and Say" Come On Spring"!! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery

• bcskye
    13 years ago

All the beautiful pictures makes me want spring to be tomorrow.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Here are a few more from the end of August:

{{gwi:356167}}

{{gwi:356168}}

{{gwi:356171}}

{{gwi:356172}}

{{gwi:196351}}

{{gwi:204455}}

{{gwi:356173}}

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Eileen..Can we have some ID on the photos? Here's my guesses: That last one is some type of Rudbeckia?(Cappachino)? The blue some type of Salvia or is that Pentsimeon? My guess for the pink plant is some type of aster? Double Glorisa Daisy from Burpee is second picture?

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

1. Phlox paniculata 'Franz Schubert'
    2. Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise'
    3. Dahlia NOID
    4. Caryopteris/blue mist shrub
    5. Sedum 'Black Jack'
    6. Perovskia atriplicifolia/Russian sage
    7. Rudbeckia hirta/gloriosa daisy 'Autumn Colors'

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Will you save me some seeds this Fall from that Franz Schubert? All are beauties. I planted Coreopsis "Sunray" last year. Think there was only a few blooms so hopefully there will be more this year. Thanks for the ID.

• weebay
    13 years ago

Ladyrose,

I ws'd convolvulus last year around this time and they sprouted in early March. They did really well until sometime in July and then were finished. I have never DS'd them so no experience there . . .

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

None of these were winter sown, but still I wanted to share them for your winter weary eyes. Here we go!!!

My Passion Flower (P. belotii) I grow it as a houseplant during the winter.
    {{gwi:356175}}

Trumpet Honeysuckle (bought last year at Lowe's; this was the only flower it had on it when I bought it and it didn't bloom for the rest of the season.)
    {{gwi:356176}}

Arizona rose (Grandiflora; just planted last year)
    {{gwi:288369}}

Reiman clematis (the only time it bloomed was last May, it's first time)
    {{gwi:356177}}

Lavender
    {{gwi:356178}}

Sweet Autumn Clematis (had lots of seeds on it when my neighbor, who bought it for me, gave it to me; looking forward to blooms!)
    {{gwi:356179}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So cool. Ladyrose I usually summer sow the convolvulvus they have done well in hanging baskets for me but I really need to give them more sun for more bloom I think.

Love that clematis pic and the one of the tin bucket garden, I bet it just overflowed once everything grew up. I can't wait to try more container combo's with my winter babies.

Glad I posted this yestereday. I'm sick today and a bit too dizzy to spend much time sitting up.

• tomva
    13 years ago

wow I love all these pics,thankyou all for making this day bearable...

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Brad - is that lavender in the tin tub with alyssum? Very clever and cute!

Pippi21 - 'Franz Schubert' didn't produce many seeds this year and that was its second year growing in that spot. I may not have many to share but I'll let you know.

tomva - always glad to show off my show offs! The flowers do all the work--I just 'point 'n shoot.' I get a kick out of taking pictures under a broiling hot late summer sun with the flash on to get the background darkness. Most of these were taken around 3-4 p.m. first week of September:

Caryopteris/blue mist shrub
    {{gwi:356180}}

Tricyrtis hirta/toad lily
    {{gwi:356181}}

Dianthus/carnation/pinks
    {{gwi:356182}}

Gaura lindheimeri/wandflower
    {{gwi:356183}}

Perovskia atriplicifolia/Russian sage
    {{gwi:199288}}

Phlox paniculata 'Franz Schubert'
    {{gwi:356185}}

Gaura lindheimeri/wandflower
    {{gwi:199289}}

I almost ignored that last one until I saw a SEED POD on the stem to the right of the flower!!!

• sjc48
    13 years ago

These are from last July, Aug., and Sept. I'm still not doing this right, but I'm closer than I was an hour ago! Thanks, River and Butterflyman! Enjoy!
    {{gwi:356186}}{{gwi:356187}}pg" target="_blank">{{gwi:356188}}a>{{gwi:356190}}flys%202010/IMG_1596-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Shirley those photos are just gorgeous!! Thanks for posting such colorful pretties for us all to enjoy/drool over. My favorite is the one on the upper right where the butterfly/moth is coming in for a landing on what looks like an aster--makes me want to watch until he/she lands!

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Thanks Gardenweed! That is high praise indeed, considering what you posted right before me-those pictures are just stunning! I can't seem to get that kind of clarity with my flower shots. I'm taking a photography class, starting next week, to try and learn more about this wretched Canon I bought.
    Those are asters, they reseeded from 2009, in a container, tons of them! I planted the zinnias from seed last April-really impressed myself with those!

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

I use the macro setting on my canon for my flower pictures. Fuzzes out the background and really gets the flowers in focus.
    {{gwi:356191}}From 2010 Winter Indoor plants

{{gwi:356192}}From 2010 garden shots

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love that gaura, I really must try it someday. Aren't zinnias just the brightest flowers?
    My fever finally broke a bit ago so I figured I'd catch up and post a few more pics. Missing the colors.
    {{gwi:356194}}
    {{gwi:356195}}
    {{gwi:356197}}

• tomva
    13 years ago

Ya"lls pics are absolutely beautiful,I had to add some of my favs that I took
    {{gwi:356199}}
    {{gwi:356201}}
    {{gwi:356203}}

• sjc48
    13 years ago

So many beautiful pictures on this thread!
    Sure beats looking out the kitchen window at my WSed babies under 10" of snow!
    Floodthelast - in your first post, what is pic#4?
    Tomva - what is the last pic you posted?
    Livsauntieshel - Would you believe I can't find the macro setting on this Canon? And we're not talking some super great SR digital here, this is just a basic, mid-priced point and shoot. I'm definitely missing something, which is why I'm taking the class!
    Happy Day, everyone! Shirley!

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Number 4 was a tall celosia or cockscomb. Tried it for the first time last year and really loved it. It was very long lasting and I dried some as well. Also made seed like mad.
    Tomva-the combination of autumn joy and those pink zinnias was really nice.
    Oh and sjc48, macro setting is usually the image of a flower or tulip on your camera. It should be on the wheel of options with the auto setting.

• sjc48
    13 years ago

I'm almost too embarassed to post this, but I will anyway because none of you can see my bright red face!
    Floodthelast-the little macro symbol is NOT on the top of the camera, on the little wheel that has "auto" ect. on it.
    However, it IS on the little wheel on the back of the camera, THAT little wheel has all kinds of goodies with a "function" button in the middle, which is the only part of that wheel that I've ever used, deleting, for instance.

duh, duh, duh.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

sjc48 - if it helps any to take the sting out of your red face, I only found the macro/little tulip setting on my camera last summer. I've had the camera nearly 4 years and since my favorite photos are closeups of flowers, it has been frustrating getting blurry shots most of the time. At least with digital I can just delete them.

Also, since I was in discovery mode, I found the setting for taking photos with SNOW being a dominant feature. How cool is that? And how apropos seeing our official snow total stands at 79.9 inches so far this winter.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Gardenweed, yes that is alyssum growing in with the lavender. We transplanted both plants later in the season. The alyssum first and then the lavender later after it got a lot of water in it from the rain.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Thanks Brad! The alyssum I WS last year grew and bloomed and was still going strong at Thanksgiving despite no rain and no watering from June until mid-October. That says flower power to me and I'm hoping to WS lots more of it this year. I planted mine in full sun on the south side of the house. Where'd you end up planting yours?

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

In another container with some grey santolina (cotton lavender). They did pretty well in there and they lasted a long time too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• adamark
    13 years ago

I miss those days... All ws'ed for the first time
    {{gwi:356205}}

{{gwi:356207}}

{{gwi:356209}}

{{gwi:356211}}

{{gwi:356212}}

{{gwi:356213}}

{{gwi:356214}}

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Adamark! Your pictures are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing-just stunning! Shirley

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lovely pics, a pleasure to see.

sj, don't feel too bad. I'm sure you scoured that camera and we are not used to dealing with symbols most of the time. I figured you just hadn't had a good description of what you were looking for. I really need to read the manual for mine. I've had it over a year now too.
    For instance what is the setting for snow?????? I would love to use that.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

floodthelast - the setting for beach/snow is a dual icon--can't make out the beach part but there's a snowman for the snow. Guess I should blow the dust off my own manual and do a little studying!

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the "comfort!" The little macro symbol was on the top of my Kodak, which is why I got confused, I think. In any event, got the Canon for it's larger zoom and more pixels, wish I would have waited for the newer Kodak. This Canon weighs a ton, too, and I think there is something wrong with the lens.
    WAH,WAH,WAH.
    I want to try the snow symbol too, if I can find it before the snow all melts-WOW-I am really being a whiner today! I have to go back to the grocery store AGAIN, always puts me in a negative mood-will take the thoughts of all these great pics with me!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Wow...it's some beautiful pictures on here! Really Pretty!

• dawiff
    13 years ago

Thought I would join in the nostalgia from last summer. The following were all winter sown last winter.

{{gwi:356215}}

{{gwi:356216}}

{{gwi:356217}}

{{gwi:356218}}

{{gwi:356219}}

All the following Dahlias came from seed saved from a single plant. Lots of variety!

{{gwi:356220}}

{{gwi:356221}}

{{gwi:356222}}

Thanks to everyone for showing such beautiful photos! Can't wait for Spring. I winter sowed lots of perennials last year too, which will not flower till this year.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

dawiff - absolutely gorgeous pictures! Those dahlias are amazing. Isn't it exciting knowing our WS plants from last year will bloom & put on a show this year? Well worth the long wait and lots to look forward to showing off in a few months.

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are some really nice dahlias. Loved the chocolate one and the semi doubles. I am trying to overwinter some wintersown ones that Lynda gave me. If I manage I may have to start more.

• cottagedreamer
    13 years ago

So many gorgeous pictures! I can't wait to see all your gardens this year. I know my beds are burried under snow and ice, but we may be getting a little thaw this week in northeast ohio!
    Floodthelast - I hope you're feeling better!

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Love the flowers. I wish I could take pictures like that. These
    were not wintersown, but hopefully I can share some wintersown
    flowers from this year.

Hollyhock & Clary Sage
    {{gwi:356223}}

Phlox
    {{gwi:356224}}

Anise Hyssop
    {{gwi:356225}}

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lovely pics roper. I really must try agastache someday.

I just wanted to share that it finally warmed up enough that I was able to pry my bucket of soil free from the frozen ground and bring it in to thaw. I should be up and sowing more in no time. : )
    {{gwi:356226}}

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County