Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting perennials in milk jugs outside in winter

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:13

I am interested in trying the linked method for starting some Butterfly weed this spring. Haven't done much starting by seed. The hard copy version of this article said that Northern gardeners could start theirs in February, but weren't specific. When in February should I start this? Seems too early now. Mid Feb? Late Feb?
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk jug method

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting perennials in milk jugs outside in winter

Some seeds need a certain amount of time in the cold! it is call cold stratification! Or time in cold conditions.

o

zap---try this website. It may be helpful---
http://www.wintersown.org/

o

Also see Trudi's FAQs at the top of page 1 of this forum.

Now is fine to wintersow your perennials. You might want to wait until close to spring for tender annuals like zinnia or marigolds.

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs

o

This is a great little tutorial to forward to my grandkids in various states!

o

I started butterfly weed last year, sowed them in Jan in milk jugs. They should do fine if you sow them now.

o

That's a great little slide show, and exactly the way I do my milk jugs except i use duct tape.

Now is fine for most things, though I'll do my zinnias and things that sprout quickly a little later. My marigolds went out yesterday and my petunias went out almost three weeks ago as well as a bunch of perennials. They're sitting outside now surrounded by the little bit of snow we've gotten over the past week. The year we had the two blizzards in five days they were covered for weeks and everything did just fine. In fact, I think snow cover makes it easier, it insulates and then waters as it melts -- no fuss, no worry about whether they're drying out.

Give it a try, you'll probably be hooked.

Caryl

o

How do you know which annuals are ok to go out now

o

If they're on the ws list they're OK to go out any time after Dec. 21. And for sure anything that volunteers for you from time to time can go out -- like that marigold in the walkway crack that you didn't plant for example. My tomatoes went out Tuesday. Nothing will sprout till the conditions are right, and most seeds will just remain dormant till then.

o

Any seed can go out any time. The concern with annuals is that you might get a period of early warming which will stimulate the seeds to sprout. Then the weather might turn colder again and those sprouts might get frozen and die. So, many of us wait to sow frost-tender annuals until closer to our last frost date. Also, if you have a really wet spring, some of the seeds can rot before they ever get to sprout. I generally just do perennials that might need some cold stratification during the cold winter months and save the annuals for more spring sowing. Hope that helps.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here