Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoregrowin

You ok down there Drippy and GGG?

shoregrowin
14 years ago

Shout out to all our southern winter sowers- YIKES are y'all ok down in the snowy south?

We're digging out from blizzard #2, this is getting to be old hat!

Hope you are all safe and sound and don't lose your power.

Take care,

Shore

Comments (44)

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

WOW Silver cat!!! That MUST be surreal! Same here with the roads, people just aren't use to driving in this much snow. State of emergency for being on the roads was in effect through last night. Still over 400 cars that were NOT allowed to even be ON the roads got stranded. Makes it a terrible mess for the police/fire and other emergency services and snow plows to do their jobs. When they say stay off the roads- stay HOME!!!!

Several roofs have caved in from the heavy snow, DH and our neighbor shoveled 4 feet off of our porch flat roof.

We had 8 foot drifts for a mile and 1/2 on the road out of here, but the farmers have been amazing at getting our rural roads cleared. A neighbor came with a tractor yesterday and cleared one side of our drive so we can get out. Our roads are pretty good now. Great job!!
    We're going to a local wine tasting this afternoon just to get out for awhile. I've got a serious case of cabin fever...

More snow for Monday, Tuesday- mercy, that groundhog knows his stuff, LOL! :)

Hope the snow is done for you now, gave your sprouts a nice little drink there,

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Isn't that bizarre gardencrazy?
    How much snow did you get GGG? Is it over now?

We just got back from the wine tasting and took some pics of the huge piles of snow on our road. I sat up on one of them and DH took a pic. Wet jeans, oh well, it was fun climbing it and sitting in it!
    It was a freakin mountain to this short girl! LOL!

Hope everyone is safe down there,

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Token that is one freakin cool pic! How much snow did you get?

Drippy, happy to hear all is well down there, did you end up with any snow? Did you find your house yet?

GGG, I love those big fat flakes, so beautiful! Glad your husband made it home safely. Are the roads a mess?

It's snowing this morning AGAIN... sigh... this is the coldest, snowiest winter I can remember here in Delaware. We've had over 50 inches of snow- that's NUTS!
    Here is our 10 day forecast. Every low is below freezing...
    I am SO ready for spring, how many days Token?

10-Day Forecast
    NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

High /
    Low (°F) Precip. %
    Today
    Feb 13 Few Snow Showers 31°/22° 30 %
    Sun
    Feb 14 Mostly Sunny 35°/20° 10 %
    Mon
    Feb 15 Snow Shower 38°/26° 60 %
    Tue
    Feb 16 Few Snow Showers 32°/23° 30 %
    Wed
    Feb 17 Mostly Sunny 36°/25° 10 %
    Thu
    Feb 18 Partly Cloudy 36°/26° 10 %
    Fri
    Feb 19 Mostly Sunny 36°/28° 10 %
    Sat
    Feb 20 Mostly Sunny 39°/30° 20 %
    Sun
    Feb 21 Sunny 40°/29° 10 %
    Mon
    Feb 22 Partly Cloudy 40°/31° 20 %

Snowbound Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Way to rub it in Token! We've got another 5-6 inches for Mon/Tues and the 2 feet hasn't budged!
    It was cloudy all day, so no melting, but hopefully will see some disappear before the next bout.
    42 sounds delightful!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

"I probably shouldn't tell you about the upper 50 degree weather we're supposed to have by the end of the week, huh?"

Get the spare room ready Token, the DH and I AND our 4 cats will be on the way down Wednesday to enjoy your warm weather and hospitality.
    :o

Drippy- Good news on the house front. I know you've been lost without your piano. I laughed about the working from home. Like you aren't use to some BIG snows!

Glad it's all melted away GGG- ditto on that germination. After all this crap, it better be gangbusters!

Take heart guys and gals, only 35 days left of winter- woohoo!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Gotta bump to see if that room is ready Token!

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

WOW Silver cat!!! That MUST be surreal! Same here with the roads, people just aren't use to driving in this much snow. State of emergency for being on the roads was in effect through last night. Still over 400 cars that were NOT allowed to even be ON the roads got stranded. Makes it a terrible mess for the police/fire and other emergency services and snow plows to do their jobs. When they say stay off the roads- stay HOME!!!!

Several roofs have caved in from the heavy snow, DH and our neighbor shoveled 4 feet off of our porch flat roof.

We had 8 foot drifts for a mile and 1/2 on the road out of here, but the farmers have been amazing at getting our rural roads cleared. A neighbor came with a tractor yesterday and cleared one side of our drive so we can get out. Our roads are pretty good now. Great job!!
    We're going to a local wine tasting this afternoon just to get out for awhile. I've got a serious case of cabin fever...

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

We just got back from the wine tasting and took some pics of the huge piles of snow on our road. I sat up on one of them and DH took a pic. Wet jeans, oh well, it was fun climbing it and sitting in it!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Drippy, happy to hear all is well down there, did you end up with any snow? Did you find your house yet?

GGG, I love those big fat flakes, so beautiful! Glad your husband made it home safely. Are the roads a mess?

It's snowing this morning AGAIN... sigh... this is the coldest, snowiest winter I can remember here in Delaware. We've had over 50 inches of snow- that's NUTS!

10-Day Forecast

High /
    Low (°F) Precip. %
    Today
    Sun
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    Mon

Snowbound Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Way to rub it in Token! We've got another 5-6 inches for Mon/Tues and the 2 feet hasn't budged!
    It was cloudy all day, so no melting, but hopefully will see some disappear before the next bout.
    42 sounds delightful!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

"I probably shouldn't tell you about the upper 50 degree weather we're supposed to have by the end of the week, huh?"

Get the spare room ready Token, the DH and I AND our 4 cats will be on the way down Wednesday to enjoy your warm weather and hospitality.

Drippy- Good news on the house front. I know you've been lost without your piano. I laughed about the working from home. Like you aren't use to some BIG snows!

Glad it's all melted away GGG- ditto on that germination. After all this crap, it better be gangbusters!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

10-Day Forecast

High /
    Low (°F) Precip. %
    Today
    Sun
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    Mon

Snowbound Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

42 sounds delightful!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

10-Day Forecast

High /
    Low (°F) Precip. %
    Today
    Sun
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    Mon

Snowbound Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

42 sounds delightful!

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

Shore

• shoregrowin
    Original Author

• Angela
    14 years ago

Jackson MS. We got 7 inches last night. :P Surreal!

Now I have that snow blanket to keep the sprouts and cuttings warm like y'all up north... well, a little... :D

Hope people stay off the road-- nobody knows how to drive in this and we don't keep road salt on hand...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

We're sitting tight, enjoying the winter wonderland! We were prepared for it this time.

{{gwi:356489}}

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

Zone 8 has snow on their jugs!
    How often does that happen?

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Oh, no the snow is not over! I would say 3" here right now, the flakes are now the tiny "ski" flakes - no more big puffy flakes that were so beautiful. But my back yard (which is a disgrace right now) has been transformed into beauty. :)
    I've NEVER seen so much snow down here. The snow we had earlier this year was the most I'd ever seen here, it stuck in some parts of our yard for 2 whole days then. It took my DH 1.5 hrs to get home from work tonight. Normally maybe 1/2 hr. drive at most. Most stuff is canceled. I would imagine we can't get to our dinner and concert plans tonight (which is actually OK by me since the only sports I like are the Olympics and I never miss opening night!!!)

• token28001
    14 years ago

It just started here in lower central NC about 6pm. They're calling for 4-6 inches of accumulation now.

• drippy
    14 years ago

7 inches in Mississippi??? Holy cow, maybe I'll move back north! Thanks for the shout-out, Shore - we're okay here, surprisingly, seems more okay than most. Looking at Token's and GGG's post, I am wondering if there is a bubble over Huntsville. They're calling for 2-3 inches - altogether - Sunday & Monday. No flakes here yet.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Drippy, this is an exceptionally odd winter. Our normal temperatures should be in the mid 50s during the day with 30s overnight, few freezing nights, and rarely a 30 degree day. The past week, our high was 45. Our lows have been in the low 20s. Next week, we'll be back to normal.

Already an inch on the ground here. Been snowing 2 hours.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Software enhanced image of the backyard after 2.5 hours of snowfall.

{{gwi:356490}}

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Our temps are very close to what Tokens are supposed to be this time of year and we are way outside of "Normal" range and have reverted to a winter more typical of the 80's and pre- "climactic change". It stopped snowing here at about 9pm and we've got 3-4"
    How much did you get in Huntsville, Drippy?
    There is a winter sower around Jackson, MS but she's not on GW anymore. I think she got more snow than we did.

• token28001
    14 years ago

We ended up with 4" according to the national weather service, but I think we got about 3 around my house. It's almost all gone now, it got up to 42 degrees today and was completely sunny all day long.

This was one I took this morning just before the sun topped the trees.

{{gwi:356491}}

And by 1pm, the hoophouse was surrounded by brown dirt again.

{{gwi:356492}}

These are the snowfalls I like. Come and go in a day. Even the streets are clear tonight.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I probably shouldn't tell you about the upper 50 degree weather we're supposed to have by the end of the week, huh? That's more normal for us. I just hope the rain stops soon. I need to get the leaves off my beds and shred them so I can start planting out my sprouts. I'm weeks behind last year's schedule. It's been way colder than normal.

• auntyara
    14 years ago

It's OK,
    Us northerners are used to it.
    I felt bad for all our southern friends who aren't prepared for the snow. I hate it myself. But I love/hate my zone.
    We're hoping for low 30's for valentine's day. Heck I'm glad to be out of the teens for a change.
    :) Laura

• drippy
    14 years ago

Well, we've had flurries here but nothing sticking yet. Supposed to be 2-4 inches overnight, but I'll believe it when I wake up tomorrow & see it.

Shore, we are getting close to making an offer - DH is dragging his feet a bit - I understand, it's a big financial commitment. None of the houses we've seen have instantly screamed "Home!" to us, but we've found a few that would work just fine, and we need to move soon - I need my piano back! (not to mention a place to garden) - hopefully I'll have some news on that front soon.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Most of our snow melted today, the roof is clear now, and even the shady areas only have a puff or two left a few inches around.
    We may get some more, but perhaps only north of here. By the end of this week it is, indeed supposed to be in the low 50's and sunny, but the nights all cold this week.
    Germination better be super happening this year!

• token28001
    14 years ago

Yep. Most of our snow is gone already too, except in the shade. On the north side of the house, there's chunks of ice in the soil. It could be June before it warms up enough to plant my cohosh and astilbe.

{{gwi:356493}}

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

We've had our share of snow but nothing like our eastern friends are reporting (and hard in the south although not as deep).

But this seems like an unusually cold February. For days on end, the sun melts or evaporates a lot of snow, but there's still plenty and more expected, snow covering this time of year is good. But the daytime temps have been in the 20's for days and forecast for days to come, may hit 30. And the nights have been in the low teens and single digits, a few nights below zero.

Nothing like some of the extreme cold we have had even last year. One year it was 18 below for several days, a pipe froze first time in my memory except trailer folks and had to get heat tape and wrap around them.

I worry about the car starting, had battery problems last year and this, always ask for extra cold cranking power because my car has to sit outside. Hope that's solved. One battery was bad, and Walmart made it good after I lost my receipt. Somehow the trunk light got left on when it was frozen shut, I popped it, couldn't get it open, then it thawed. Somehow the dome light got left on this winter. I always try to remember the car lights. Now they have some that turn off automatically.

Driving in winter here is always a worry especially on highways, the interstate and the like. Main streets are fairly quickly cleared and salted, it's pretty good. I think overall they do a good job, but people always complain. They complain about the side streets but people won't move their cars so the plows can't get in and get it done right, then sometimes they turn to terrible ice which is much worse than driving on snow. Never hit your brakes or use the accelerator if you see ice (black ice you can't see) and can't switch lanes or get around it, lots of accidents, some bad.

If it's snow or ice and you have to stop at a stop sign and expecially on a down slope, pump your brakes and go as slow as possible if you see it coming. Shift down if it won't throw your car out of control. Glad you people are being more careful.

If you start skidding, you're supposed to turn your wheels in the direction you're skidding, counterintuitive. Had a rough drive on the interstate once, skidded, compensated, skidded the other way, compensated, was skidding for quite a ways like that until I got the car back under control, freezing rain and snow. I did not dare panic, and there was a lot of traffic, missed the exit on account of it and decided safer to go on to the next one.

• drippy
    14 years ago

Grand total was about a half inch here. Businesses are giving people permission to work from home (she says, rolling her eyes).

• greengardener07
    14 years ago

"I probably shouldn't tell you about the upper 50 degree weather we're supposed to have by the end of the week, huh? "

Okay token, that is just wrong. I would love to have even the 40's right now to melt the gazillion icicles that are all over the place here! But to brag about the 50's when a lot of us still have 2.5'+ on the ground is just wrong!!!!!!!

I am telling you, it is like something out of Dr. Suess around here with the icicles hangin off the gutters and roofs around here. Like the house are alive.....

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Reporting to be 57 and SUNNY here on Saturday. OH BOY! I can not imagine being back to normal this time of year!!! 60 on Sunday!!! Most of next week low 50's. Looks like I may actually be able to get some work done out there!!

• token28001
    14 years ago

62 on Sunday. GGG, you might want to recheck the forecast, they keep raising it. :)

{{gwi:356494}}

I don't have a spare room, but I've got a nice hammock I can hang in the basement, and the couch folds out.