Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolgoddess67

First time flower winter sower

Poolgoddess67
11 years ago

OK, so I've finally gottn the hang of veggies, and partial success with herbs. Now I'm ready to tackle FLOWERS.

I"m in 5b, and I 've gotten seed packets for my area, with a variety of heights and colors. But I'm overwhelmed ( last counts was about 24 varietes), is it easier to plan with those in an excel format? Other than the basics: sun/shade, height, color what else should I track to make planning where to put all these easier?

And my seed packets don't all show bloom time, how important is that?

This is for a larger (to me) east/northeast corner front bed on a corner lot, so I wanna get it close the first time.
It's been lying fallow for 2 years, only pulling weeds out. I'm amending this spring--so how deep should I put the compost now? Can I just toss n till like my veggies?

Thinking about potting up another batch this weekend, gosh my deck is getting full, lol

Comments (7)

• terrene
    11 years ago

Poolgoddess, most likely you won't get it all right the first year, so try to relax. Some plants will grow taller, or wider, or slower than you expect or the packets say. In fact I am still working on design in garden beds that are 8 years old now. Fairly well ordered and the bones are in place, but plants die, are eaten by voles, get too big, decline, sun patterns change as trees and shrubs grow, etc. so I am always moving things around and adding new things.

I keep an excel sow chart every year, that includes the species/cultivar, date sown, # seeds, date sprouted, etc. In the first year I included sun preference, height, and moisture preference. I used the "wetland indicator" from the USDA plants database, which consists of a range between wetland, facultative, and upland plants (or you could wet-mesic-dry). But after I became more familiar with the plants I dropped those columns from the chart and added notes instead.

I haven't ever tilled, just hand dig the gardens. But the first year I would mix in compost and maybe leaves etc. using the shovel or tiller. Once the soil has a good texture, you don't need to turn it every year. After that you can topdress with compost or scratch in some fertilizer each year. Flowers need some nutrients, but generally aren't as nutrient intensive as veggies. Organic matter will attract worms which will also fertliize the soil.

But some flowers like it lean - fertilizer makes their growth floppy or too much nitrogen can encourage foliage growth over flowers!

• Edie
    11 years ago

The one thing I'm careful to note besides what's already been mentioned, is whether a perennial plant makes a taproot or is otherwise hard to transplant once settled. I'm more careful about placement of those plants. Anything else is fair game to "plunk and run" wherever I see a spot at transplant time. I figure, if I decide later it's in the wrong spot, I'll move it.

Annuals are temporary anyway. If I decide I don't like where they are this year I'll do it differently next year. For example, last year's larkspur was shorter than I expected, and planted in the back of the bed where it hid behind everything else. This year I'm planting some in front.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Great advice terrene and edie, although be careful what you wish for when it comes to larkspur. Mine was in a mixed seed pack a few years back and it grows tall and plentiful every year now -- it reseeds like crazy, and since it's outside one of my veggie gardens I'm pulling it like a weed from inside the fence as well. It is pretty when it blooms against the fence, though.

• proudgm_03
    11 years ago

Caryltoo I had the same problem with HH. They reseeded and came up everywhere in the garden. Those little suckers are impossible to pull by hand.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Poolgoddess, how is the sowing coming along?

• Poolgoddess67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are all sowed, but it snowed again, so probably not till next weekend before I see sprouts. But spring will come! I did:
    Nasturtium
    Creeping Thyme
    2 pots marigolds
    snapdragons
    Daisies-shasta and african
    2 money plants
    forgetmenots
    pansy
    coleus
    columbine
    hollyhock
    dianthus
    sweet william (biennial)
    2 pots alyssum
    2 pots petunias

some are probably too early, but I have more seeds of the multiples I did sow, so no harm no foul, lol

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

You will be good.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor