Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemctier

too late for gold germinators?

rosemctier
13 years ago

so. . .i ordered some hellebore and other seeds and they just arrived last week. i have them potted up and outside already, but for once i think phil was right and spring is early. it's supposed to be in the 50-60s during the day and in the 30-40s at night for the next week or so. i'm sure it will cool down again and i think most evenings will be hovering around freezing. perfect maple sugaring weather but i don't think we're going to get to it this year :( is that enough cold, do you guys think, to please the cold germinating seeds?

wondering about peonies too. has anyone just straight wintersown peonies, instead of following the warm/cold/warm cycle? got enough in trade (thanks randi!!!) that i'm thinking about experimenting. my family cannot wrap their heads around the idea of bags of dirt in the fridge and it never turns out well. any ideas? i was thinking i could pot them up and then either keep them inside for a few weeks (or in the unheated greenhouse-- warm during day, cold at night?) but if there is no evidence of sprouting in a few weeks i will run out of cold weather and will have to refrigerate somehow when they finally do send out root shoots. any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area