Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late for gold germinators?

Posted by rosemctier z5/6 waynesburg PA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 11:36

so. . .i ordered some hellebore and other seeds and they just arrived last week. i have them potted up and outside already, but for once i think phil was right and spring is early. it's supposed to be in the 50-60s during the day and in the 30-40s at night for the next week or so. i'm sure it will cool down again and i think most evenings will be hovering around freezing. perfect maple sugaring weather but i don't think we're going to get to it this year :( is that enough cold, do you guys think, to please the cold germinating seeds?

wondering about peonies too. has anyone just straight wintersown peonies, instead of following the warm/cold/warm cycle? got enough in trade (thanks randi!!!) that i'm thinking about experimenting. my family cannot wrap their heads around the idea of bags of dirt in the fridge and it never turns out well. any ideas? i was thinking i could pot them up and then either keep them inside for a few weeks (or in the unheated greenhouse-- warm during day, cold at night?) but if there is no evidence of sprouting in a few weeks i will run out of cold weather and will have to refrigerate somehow when they finally do send out root shoots. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late for cold germinators?

Although your micro-climate might differ from mine, I'm guessing we're fairly close in terms of warm/cold extremes. I'm linking an article about growing hellebore from seed that strikes me as pretty common-sense. The thing that struck me about the information is it's recommended to sow seeds when they're fresh as opposed to stored.

Growing both peonies and hellebore from seed appears to require a great deal of patience waiting for those first stunning flowers. Other than that, my guess is you're good to go.

Hopefully someone with actual hands-on experience will chime in but I thought this might at least be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating hellebore from seed

o
RE: too late for gold germinators?

Rose I started my hellebore seeds in either september or october. I have had them outside the entire time. I check on them occasionally, and I have not had germination as of yet. I noticed one of the seeds had come to the top and it wasn't even swollen, ya know how they swell up right before germination. So they are hard little seeds to break that dormancy.

My thought is if it doesn't germinated I plan to leave my container outside through the year and maybe I may have germination next spring.

Not sure if this matters but I had 4 types I have sowed. Nigra, orientalis, livida (spelling??) and an unamed one.

o

I came here searching for gold, could use a bit more in my coffers. Wondered if there was seed that I didn't know about.
;-)

o

LOL i didn't even see that! what a plant that would be!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here