Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

I almost bought seeds this week....

lisa2004
12 years ago

Off to a late start this year (mostly because its been so warm and we haven't had any snow at all)... went on the Burpee website and found a few annuals that I wanted to give a try. I was surprised at how expensive the seeds were (around $5/pack for zinnia, petunia and marigolds). Granted they were not the usual varieties, but not all that unusual either. Then when I went to check out they wanted $8 for shipping. Crazy! I canceled the order.

Is there a reasonable online place to buy seeds? I used a good one a few years ago but can't remember who they were.

Comments (12)

• Merilia
    12 years ago

I'm a fan of Swallowtail garden seeds. They've got a great selection, decent prices, and they don't charge shipping if you spend $30. I know $30 is a lot to spend on seeds, but somehow I managed to reach it fairly easily...

I also like how open they are about how many seeds you get in each packet, which varies a lot (fancy new hybrids will come in MUCH smaller quantities than older or open pollinated cultivars).

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail garden seeds

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

That's why I don't order from Burpee either. The S&H is way too much. I ordered last year, I paid 24.94 for about 3 packs of seeds.

I order from Swallowtail, Hazzards, Parks, T's Flower's and Things and Diane's.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Renee's Garden is a good place to get seeds too. I got my seeds very quickly (about a week after mailing the order). The only time I get Burpee seeds is from the store (Wal-Mart for example). I also agree with Swallowtail Seeds. Both have very nice selections.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Ebay, definitely. Most have free shipping too. I've gotten almost all of my seeds on ebay this year.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I don't order from Burpee either. Prices are too high, both for seed price and shipping.

The same seeds are much cheaper at Walmart, and no shipping cost. Seed packs might be smaller at Walmart, I'm not sure, but plenty of seeds for my purposes.

Karen

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I've stopped buying from several online seed sellers for the same reason - outlandish S&H charges! Now I get most of my vegetable and herb seeds from Fedco (no S&H for orders $30 or more) and Nichols. I also get some from Swallowtail, but haven't tried e-bay yet.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

there's always the newbie seed project even if you aren't new. trade off the ones you don't want for ones you do. no problem.

• nana8
    12 years ago

geoseed.com is my favorite supplier. You know the exact quantity you are ordering and the germination has always been exceptional.

• janetcw
    12 years ago

Sample Seeds has a nice selection of seeds with very low prices and the shipping is reasonable, even for shipping to Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Seeds

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

I also put the Burpee catalog aside when I saw their prices. If I can get a few plants for the same price as seed, I'll get the plant and support a local nursery (then save that first season seed!).

This is the first year in quite a few that I haven't ordered from Parks - they have a lot on sale for 99cents right now, but their shipping also made me leave the basket with the order not placed (every few days, I do pop over - they have a lot I like and their seed germinates for me. Only had coleus not, they replaced that packet when I'd emailed them). Now that I've planted my milkjugs of my own saved seed - I may let myself place an order (if you haven't tried the white black eyed susan vine or cosmos sonata - just knee high and trim, they're great). They also have that Queen Red Lime zinnia everyone is "pinning" that Burpee wants twice as much for. There is another thread that Parks seems to be having shipping problems right now.

I've ordered from Pinetree with never a problem - one year they had slow shipping that knocked them down in folks estimation, but for the most part, they keep prices reasonable. Don't have as many of the "different" or new flowers though if that's your thing.

Have ordered from Swallowtail with good results as well as Baker Creek Seed for Heirloom and different veggies. I pick up Renee's in the store (Orchard Supply and Ace out here carry her seed).

On ebay, I REALLY liked Mary's Great Seed - small packs (stated so), germinated well and shipping is just $2 for one or more packets of seeds. You'll notice on the link where she says :"THESE SEEDS ARE FROM A SUPPLIER AND WILL BE TRUE TO COLOR AND VARIETY" - if it doesn't say that, they may be locally gathered and if this is a negative for you, just ask. They're responsive. This thread is making me browse her store again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary's Great Seed - Dragonfly Columbine

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. I will spend my weekend checking out the sites you suggested!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention another really good source - J.L. Hudson, Seedsman.Packets are $2.50 or less, shipping reasonable ($2 for up to 20 packets, $2.50 for 21 to 40). He has a lot of oddities, no pictures in the black and white catalog listed by latin name. But, if you know what you want (or shop with Google or Bing image search open) it's great. He used to not carry as many "regular" flowers but now does (so 4 types of linaria or 4 globe amaranth. Excellent seed starting info on the packets.

Here is a link that might be useful: JL Hudson Seeds

Sponsored