Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgitrbl

Seeds and Companies You Are Enjoying

corgitrbl
12 years ago

Really enjoying several seed companies (as follows) are there any you are enjoying and what special plant did you find there?

Botanical Interests Italian Red Bunching Onion, Linaria Fairy Bouquet, Basil Custom Blend, Better Boy Tomatoe WS

Swallowtail Garden Sparky Sunflower, Green Mist Laceflower

K-Mart Burpee Amaranthus Chestnut Plumes Mix, Black Swan Poppy WS

Target Seeds (not out here yet)

Is it okay if they are not all for winter sowing? I do some direct seeding also. I put a WS after those I have wintersown. I think it is fun to see what others have found and are delighted in.

Jacqi

Comments (9)

• Amy
    12 years ago

I just picked up a packet of the Botanical Interests Basil Custom Blend, I am really excited as I am not only a pesto freak, but I also love a good margherita pizza with fresh basil on top!

• susaninosceolamo
    12 years ago

Hello all. I'm pretty much a newbie to gardening and I did some research and have ordered from a few different companies recently. I discovered last summer that I liked collecting seeds - unfortunately, I collected from hybrid zinnias so who knows what I will get. Here's the companies I ordered from.
    1. Harris Seeds - lots of stuff and fast shipping BUT way too many catalogs sent through the mail. Plus, I managed to get treated zinnia seeds which just kinda creep me out! Sure hope I can save them.
    2. Baker Seed Heirloom - fast shipping, BEAUTIFUL catalog, threw in extra packets, seed packets seem to have extras!
    3. Trudi at wintersown.org. Found her site while researching tomatoes and discovered wintersowing which is wonderful. Packets are very generous and she even sent a Xmas card with seeds!
    4. Gary Ibsen. Ordered from this place before discovering Trudi's site. Quite the selection of tomatoes, fast shipping but no extras, bummer!
    5. Johnny's. Emailed the company with a question about zinnia seeds and they responded back immediately on the weekend so I definitely ordered from them and will go back. Super fast shipping. Have hybrids and heirlooms.
    6. Fedco. Have an order to them but they may have slow shipping (it said within 2 weeks) and I hope it is not true. Almost did not order from them because of that and their website is hard to navigate BUT they were recommended elsewhere on Garden Web, very cheap for heirloom seeds, free shipping over $30 and you get a copy of their catalog which I saw online and has all sorts of great info. Oh, I hope they ship faster than 2 weeks.

I have also heard about Swallowtail on here and want to try them. And, the Seed Savers Exchange and Tatiana's Tomato Base. I don't need any more tomatoes but she has a database online of all the different tomatoes and I like that someone has done that!

Would love to hear of other great places. I'm finding that the price for one thing can be quite different place to place.

Hope to order even more seeds - every spare cent is going to seeds, I'm afraid to say!

Take care all!

• skycopp
    12 years ago

Regarding Botanical Interests, A few years back I flew to Denver to visit my mother and as I was going to the baggage claim, I saw a familiar face from many many years ago. It turned out that it was Curtis Jones, a friend of mine who I had worked with 'way back when we were much younger'. Curtis told me about starting this company called Botanical Interests.
    After the trip I forgot all about it, but this past year I got into gardening and recently started buying seeds. I came across Botanical Interest's website the other day and then I remembered that I knew the owner. Curtis is a great guy and it looks like his company is doing awesome things.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

Hi - mentioned some favorite seeds and suppliers in the current thread linked below. When I addded J.L. Hudson to that thread, I browsed more and realized he has both Dahlia Redskin and Dahlia Bishops Children seeds - which I love (both will flower in the season - google search them to see how beautiful they are). Have that window open now shopping - prices and shipping both are so reasonable there (fan of all and any linaria as well and he offers a few).

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Source Thread

• shemeows
    12 years ago

I've ordered from Georgia Vines this year for the first time. No frills, reasonable prices and fast shipping (free shipping to the US now. They even sent a freebie packet.

I can't speak for their germination rates yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Vines

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

I ordered from Hirts Gardens (Amazon) this year. I got a gift card for Christmas. They shipped quickly,and it was free for shipping on seed order of $5 or more. (easy!) They had detailed labels on all of their seeds. And a few of the seed packs were labeled Botanical Interests, so I don't know if its a business arrangement? Anyway, I have WS some and the really tender things (Chocolate Habanero) I started inside. The thing is, I got all of the Habs to germinate, but so far only one seedling has made it out of the soil. The coleus is growing wonderfully. I had tried and failed with these before, but the seeds came with dfferent instructions than my last batch and it worked! I just started a few more so we'll see how it goes.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

This year I ordered from Johnny's, Renee's Garden, Peppermania,
    Chili Pepper Institute, Pinetree & Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
    I like supporting everybody!! ha, ha!! I also like Botanical Interest, but
    already ordered from them last fall as well as Baker Creek.
    Oh, and I forgot, Gleckler Seedman for some tomatoes.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Oh, and I forgot Sandhill Preservation, but I haven't got the seeds yet.
    Hopefully soon. I've been waiting awhile now.

• Edie
    12 years ago

I'm lucky to have local stores that carry Botanical Interests, Renee's Garden, Seeds of Change, High Mowing, and Hudson Valley Seed Bank seeds. I've tried seeds from all of them. Much better results than from that other company that seems to have a deal with all the big box stores.

I've been ordering from Pinetree since 2000. If you visit Pinetree's site, check the discount book selection while you're there. Some of my favorite and most-used garden books came from there.

This year I ordered from Summer Hill, Swallowtail, and Select Seeds. All of them got seeds to me within ten days of my order. Summer Hill and Select are new to me this year, and both sent freebie packets.

One thing I absolutely had to have was more "Black Prince" snapdragons. And maybe this year I'll leave a few to make seed instead of deadheading in the hope of more gorgeous flowers.
    Also got "Morello Cherry" lupine to try after salivating over photos of WS lupines some of you have grown.
    I also bought tuberous begonia seeds to start indoors so I could have sprouts to play with extra early, and not be so jealous of the people in warmer zones who get WS sprouts before April. I've been fussing over them since December. :-)

Sponsored