Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Tell me how to rot a tree stump out.

ontheteam
15 years ago

Make a large tree stump (that is still attatched to the roots)

a planter?

I have a tree trunk from a sugar maple it got to 3 trunks wide before heart rot killed it.

It's been cut down for 2 years. I normally place a planter on it.. but I got a wild idea...

What is the best way to hollow it out to make a planter?

How would you selectively rot it out in the middle?

DH is thinking boring holes and a chicle... I am thinking hot charcoal briquettes applied every few inches.. char it,bore/chisel/heat bore chisel..

What do you think? IS there a forum I should be asking this in?

Comments (12)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Either would work, all depends on how much work you want to do.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

as little as possible really.... I'd like to used it this spring

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I think I'd actually 'build' onto it, assuming the stump isn't way off the ground. Take some small pieces of 2x4s or 2x6s, and nail them into the stump in a circle, then fill it with compost, and plant some shallow-rooted annuals. It'll rot out eventually, but you can also dig out around the stump about a foot or so to put flowers AROUND the stump, which will hide your new 'planter' that you built.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's tall... about 3/4 feet tall... I could build on it and cover it with moss. Or train a Morning glory vine around it...hmmmm....

• wiley0
    15 years ago

Is that 3/4' tall or 3 or 4 feet tall?

I'm guessing 3 or 4 feet tall.

Well, if you are allowed a wiener roast in your area then I would drill a few holes in the center. let some oil soak into the holes and then build a small fire on top of the holes.

I make ash for my garden on a city lot by having a small campfire ring in my front yard. I burn some scrap wood, limbs, and firewood. next to me are marshmellow, and wieners, buns etc. I haven't been cited or checked on by the police or fire dept as I am attending the fire. Actually, campfires are allowed in the city if you follow certain rules. I keep it small but I do get some good ash for a compost pile and I know what went in there.

Once you have a center hole burned in you could chip out a round hole or redrill and burn deeper.

• sweetkountry
    15 years ago

What would happen if you put some high nitrogen fertilizer on it? That should speed up the decomp, but probably not fast enough to use it this year.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I don't know how a maple is compared to a cherry tree stump, gees I have this cherry tree stump that is 2 inches off the ground and I have tried everything to get it below soil level so I can mow there. This has been there for decades. I finally have given up and going to get pavers and ring around it for a fire pit.

Yours is taller than mine so if you have wood bits for your drill, how about drilling holes on the sides for plantings with moss and peat and putting a container on top.
    Kind of like a sudo strawberry pot?

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Here's a thread from the Texas Gardening forum on using sugar:

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Sugar to kill a stump

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ohhh busy lizzy... you are on to something there.. I can get DH to buy in if it meas he needs to buy a specail tool to do it...

Sugar eh? who'da thunk....

• jmc7104
    15 years ago

If hany with tool an electric chain saw might be considerably faster than drilling and chisling would be but be aware that there is a higher chance of injury with chain saw unless one has some experience with same. Reason for saying electric over gasoleine is ease of use. If experienced with chain saws then gas is more powerful and faster. Have done what you describe with both methoids. Ps. Stumps don't last very long once you start growing plants inside cut-out. jim

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Those wood hole tools for a drill aren't too expensive, mine has 3 different sizes. Bought it years ago when I was making gourd birdhouses.

I would worry about kickback using a chainsaw for making holes, they aren't designed for that, you would have to use the tip, and unless your a chainsaw artist I wouldn't try it. Even an eletric chainsaw is till a chainsaw. I used electric for ice carving, but that is differentstory for wood.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

um yeah No chain saws here...Thanks tho Jim. I know it won;t last forever...but it'd would be neat for now..

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm