Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygladys

Toilet Paper Rolls

ladygladys
14 years ago

Anyone doing toilet paper rolls this year? If anyone did in years past how did it go? I am trying a few this year to see how it goes because I hate transplanting and this seems to make that a bit easier. I am also looking into the newspaper pots, but as of now I have more toilet rolls than newspaper saved. So anyway can anyone please let me know how it went for them?

Gladys

Comments (4)

• barbe_wa
    14 years ago

When I first started wintersowing a few years ago, I tried both toilet paper rolls and newspaper pots. I found that I got the best results from the newspaper pots because they didn't dry out as much in the jugs and broke down faster when they were transplanted out to the garden. But others who are better at keeping things watered may have had much different results.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    14 years ago

Gladys, I use TP rolls and newspaper pots and have been pleased at the results with both. I put them in another container such as a gallon milk jug or 3# coffee can. To help retain moisture, I stuff them in really tight, even if it squashes a few. If I have any empty spaces left after that, I sprinkle in potting mix and water well. I moisten the mix til almost sloppy before adding it to the rolls or pots and that way the paper soaks up the excess moisture. By doing all this, the mix in mine is still moist at plant-out time.

I use them for sweet peas, zinnias, Baptisia, and other things that don't like to be transplanted. I use more each year because they are so easy to transplant -- no messing with separating roots. I don't put bottoms on the paper pots. Just be sure to bury them completely with soil. If you leave any paper above ground, it will wick moisture away from the roots.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I'm using up my tp rolls, cut and folded the bottoms as shown here, goes fast once you get the hang of it, am now worried the soil may not be moist enough. They are in an ice cream container with a recessed lid which will trap melting snow (and rain). I burned holes rather than cut slits, then thought maybe that many holes would let too much water in so taped all the holes but 2 or 3.

So I can either untape the rest of the holes or something. I'm waiting to save one or two more to fill a plastic candy container. When I plant that, I'll make the soil that goes in more moist, so thanks for warning about that.

I'm not against newspaper pots, just don't want to bother with them and need the newspaper I have left for under the cat box plus I like to have some on hand to wrap messy garbage and broken glass in.

• ajpa
    14 years ago

I saved a bunch for this year -- I will try what you do, plays_in_the_dirt. Untangling roots is so annoying!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor