Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet Paper Rolls

Posted by ladygladys z5b/6a NEPA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 13:21

Anyone doing toilet paper rolls this year? If anyone did in years past how did it go? I am trying a few this year to see how it goes because I hate transplanting and this seems to make that a bit easier. I am also looking into the newspaper pots, but as of now I have more toilet rolls than newspaper saved. So anyway can anyone please let me know how it went for them?

Gladys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet Paper Rolls

When I first started wintersowing a few years ago, I tried both toilet paper rolls and newspaper pots. I found that I got the best results from the newspaper pots because they didn't dry out as much in the jugs and broke down faster when they were transplanted out to the garden. But others who are better at keeping things watered may have had much different results.

o

Gladys, I use TP rolls and newspaper pots and have been pleased at the results with both. I put them in another container such as a gallon milk jug or 3# coffee can. To help retain moisture, I stuff them in really tight, even if it squashes a few. If I have any empty spaces left after that, I sprinkle in potting mix and water well. I moisten the mix til almost sloppy before adding it to the rolls or pots and that way the paper soaks up the excess moisture. By doing all this, the mix in mine is still moist at plant-out time.

I use them for sweet peas, zinnias, Baptisia, and other things that don't like to be transplanted. I use more each year because they are so easy to transplant -- no messing with separating roots. I don't put bottoms on the paper pots. Just be sure to bury them completely with soil. If you leave any paper above ground, it will wick moisture away from the roots.

o

I'm using up my tp rolls, cut and folded the bottoms as shown here, goes fast once you get the hang of it, am now worried the soil may not be moist enough. They are in an ice cream container with a recessed lid which will trap melting snow (and rain). I burned holes rather than cut slits, then thought maybe that many holes would let too much water in so taped all the holes but 2 or 3.

So I can either untape the rest of the holes or something. I'm waiting to save one or two more to fill a plastic candy container. When I plant that, I'll make the soil that goes in more moist, so thanks for warning about that.

I'm not against newspaper pots, just don't want to bother with them and need the newspaper I have left for under the cat box plus I like to have some on hand to wrap messy garbage and broken glass in.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 5, 10 at 10:48

I saved a bunch for this year -- I will try what you do, plays_in_the_dirt. Untangling roots is so annoying!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here