Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caryltoo

Cloches or hotcaps

caryltoo Z7/SE PA
13 years ago

Is there a difference in these two things? Can I use either to transplant my seedlings a little ahead of the last frost date?

Thanks.

Caryl

Comments (3)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

You can plant out hardy perennials and hardy annuals (poppy, larkspur, BBs) any time, no cloche needed. They don't need protection from cold temps. I try to transplant them when they have a couple of sets of true leaves. I've transplanted these as early as Apr 1 though my last frost date is mid May. Really.

Any warm loving annuals which are very sensitive to cold temps (things like zinnias, cosmos, marigold, coleus, impatiens) - I wouldn't plant out too soon. If you would plant out and cover with a cloche they might fry if weather gets hot. I perfer to wait to transplant those until at least real close to last frost.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Karen

• greyandamy
    13 years ago

With nemesia though, I know it's hardy annual. But most of what I read says it loves cool temps, but not frost. Or it's hardiness is 32 degrees? If it's wintersown, will it be hardier thus when planted out, be able to withstand temps colder than 32 at times??

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I was thinking more of getting my tomato seedlings in a couple weeks early to get a jump on the season. Last year, they sprouted and formed true leaves via wintersowing, but didn't really take off size-wise till they were in the ground.

Caryl

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus