Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lychnis Selection Source

Posted by patty57 7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 14:33

I have done a bit of searching online to find a seed source that would have a multiple selection of Lychnis. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated please.

Thank you.

Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lychnis Selection Source

I don't think there are that many varieties of seed types. Try Swallowtail Garden Seeds, they have 3; Maltese red, pink & white Angel Breath and my fave, Dusky Salmon. I think the dark pink is coronaria.

o

Thank you muffienh. Was at Swallowtail Garden Seeds and will head back there to make an order.

patty

o

Lynchnis Flo Jovis 'Peggy" - Flower of Jove. Cute one! Pink flowers and the foliage is silvery like Lamb's Ear/ Stachis.
Lynchnis Chalcedonica - Perennial. Comes in red, white, and my favourite is salmon coloured - Dusky Rose.
Lynchnis Coronaria - more or less a biennial. Commonly called Rose Campion. Come in Fushia, white, blush...
Lynchnis Haageana. Comes in a deep red or a salmon colour. Largest of all Lynchnis flowers. Great border plant.
Lynchnis - Ragged Robyn. Pink flower. Sometimes considered a weed, but welcome in my gardens as it attracts the Hummingbird/Sphinx Moth and Yellow Swallowtails of the east.
Lynchnis Viscaria Splendens Fever (German Catchfly). Definitely a favourite of mine!! Butterflies love this one!

OK, so I just wanted to point out that there are quite a few varieties of this plant. Some seeds are harder to come by but that's because some folks don't consider some of the varieties to be something they would place in their gardens. Most change their minds when they start growing them. Several years ago I ordered Haageana, Viscaria, and Flo Jovis from Jelitto Seeds in Germany so that's another supplier you might consider.

Do enjoy the ones you grow!!

o

Sample seed shop has a good variety too.

o

I got mine from T's Flowers and Things. Large selection.

o

Thank you all for the informative feedback of my request. Greatly appreciated.

Patty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here