Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have

just1morehosta
13 years ago

Vandana Shiva - The Future of Food and Seed

video.google.com

I love this woman,she really has a great love for seeds,and is very inspiring.

cAROL

Comments (12)

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1FTCzDSck&feature=relmfu Future of Food Part 1

I think I did the first one wrong,ya all know I am not computer smart.
    cAROL

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I enjoyed and was most enlightened. I see I have some future books to read. Thank You for this Link.

• cottagedreamer
    13 years ago

Good information. I enjoyed this video as well - thank you for the link.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope more will check this out, as she loves,and talks about seeds,in depth.
    cAROL

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I find that more people will go to a link if it is clickable.

To add clickable links in GW:

1. Copy and paste the link in the box below the message box,
    "Optional Link URL".

2. Put a name for the link in the "Name of the Link" box

Preview message as usual. Submit.

I do not know how to make a clickable link in the message itself. I think some people have been able to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Future of Food-Part 1

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much mnwsgal,I did not know how to do this, I know formyself, I like it if the link is clickable.
    I hope you listened,she is great don't you think.
    cAROL

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Sorry, we had server problems today so had limited computer access earlier.

Yes, I did listen and find her comments very interesting. Having read and heard others speak on these issues I was already familiar with many of her ideas. She is an excellent speaker.

I do not understand why farmers can not sue for contamination of their seed crops from genetically modified crops.

I am also strongly in favor of diversification of crops and locally grown food. I grow many of my own veggies and buy others at the local farmers' market.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Interesting, thanks for the link, cAROL.

I was already aware of a lot of the information she gave, but her slant on it is interesting. I have often heard the thing about crops naturally contaminated by open pollination leaves farmers or gardeners liable for patent theft, and outlawed from saving/propagating their own seeds, but have never been able to find it on government websites. Does anyone have a link to that information? (i.e. in U.S. patent law)?

If I had a better understanding of plant genetics I could understand this stuff better.

BTW, did you know that Monsanto also owns Scotts?, therefore Miracle Grow? That's why I avoid buying their soil, ferts, etc. And they own most of the seed companies, but not all. A few independent ones still exist.see link below.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Non- gmo, non-Monsanto seeds

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Karen,I printed that out,very good information.
    I try to be as organic as I can be.
    This will be my first year, in many, that I will be having an Organic garden.
    I am hoping to plant some Beans,both bush,and dryed.Tomatoes,peppers,cuc's,sweet potatoes,and a bunch of other goodies.
    When my children were small, I had a beautiful food garden,for many years,now, I am coming home.:0)
    cAROL

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

The only veggies I grow are tomatoes, and last year a few beets and carrots. My yard is flowers. I try to keep that organic for the environment and the insects.

Karen

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I wrote to Harris seeds, asked if they're Monsanto owned. I got this reply
    Thank you for your e-mail. We have no affiliation with Monsanto. Harris Seeds does not sell any seed that has been genetically engineered. All of our seed offerings have been developed through traditional breeding techniques.
    Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.
    Sincerely,
    Cristina

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is good to know Christina,even though they were not on that list, it is always good to check,now we know we have one more to choose from.
    I really liked all the different Sweet Potatoes from Sandhill,I want to grow them this year.
    Thanks for the info on Harris seed.
    cAROL

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington