Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

Burpee seed prices?

greengardener07
16 years ago

I was just looking at their online store and I noticed that their prices are extraordinarily high. $2.65 for a packet of 50 Happy Days Marigolds? And $3.50 for a packet of Bush Blue Lake Beans?

Is it me or do these prices seem very high? I just picked up two packs of those for less than $3.50 at Lowe's. They were the Ferry Morse brand, but I got them to germinate fine last year.

Comments (13)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

They do seem very expensive to me. I use to order regularly from them. I haven't done that in a few years now. It's cheaper to go to the local stores, buy what I can and order the rest of the seeds I want elsewhere.

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

If one has a little patience, they're high priced stuff shows up the next year at the wal-mart. There are some things that don't show up there. For example, my perennial favorite, Toy Choi, Pak Choi. I love that. It tastes fabulous and has a DTM of like... 30.

Other things I order are, Thumbelina carrots, Tokyo Cross Turnips and their Sea Magic fertilizer cause I can't find the seaweed stuff for a decent price locally.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I thought their prices were high too. I had considered an order of just four packets, but with shipping it came to a bit over $16. I could not justify paying $4 per packet for these things, so I didn't order.

• vbuff
    16 years ago

Watersuntogether.com sells this year's Burpee seeds. They don't have all the varieties that Burpee does but you never know, they may have what you are looking for. I have ordered from them twice and been very happy.

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

The prices are more like theft than high and more than shocking after you purchase some of the same seeds in the stores.

My local mom and pop hardware store just got in the huge Burpee selection of seeds.

picked up 3 packets of seeds at a cost of $5.64 including state sales tax.

After seeing this post I opened the packages and counted the seeds. that's when I couldn't believe my eyes and checked burpee on line to check.

And found the following. prices are the burpee price printed on packet

Gazania sunshine mix 1.79 a packet 100 seeds

Gazania tiger stripe 1.79 a packet 100 seeds

morning glory heavenly blue $1.79 a packet 85 seeds

Burpee online

Gazania tiger stripe $4.65 a packet 25 seeds

Morning glory heavenly blue 2.65 a packet 50 seeds

they didn't have gazania sunshine mix

Now that is a stunning difference in both price and seed count

Fran

• tansy_moon
    16 years ago

I had a pile of catalogs a month ago and did a price comparison. The best prices were around $2.75, but I realized it would still be too expensive a route for me.

Eventually I did what I usually do and resorted to buying seeds from vendors on eBay, plus veggies from Territorial Seeds, and so far I have not been disappointed. I have a whole stack of unusual seeds now, that I don't usually see in the standard mail order cataglogs. And they were competitively priced.

Once I found of about WS, of course my gardening lust went to my head.

I ended up investing about $88 in seeds this year (and last fall about $30).

The good news is I'm the type that would spend my last dollar on hyacinth bulbs if it came to that, so am happy as a clam anyway. Also, DH is chipping in for my new seeds as a Valentine's gift, so I wont be completely broke when it comes time to buy truckloads of dirt and gravel later this spring for some big garden projects.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Wow, Fran, your information is an eye-opener. I've never bought from Burpee online, but I have bought them in stores. There, they didn't seem expensive. I guess you explained why.

Karen

• dorisl
    16 years ago

It seems to me that every year online shopping gets to be more and more expensive than regular shopping. They realized that they GOT you on the convenience factor.

Didnt online shopping used to be cheaper or am I disremembering?

• yogi-gardener
    16 years ago

Love that word, disremembering :)

I think it might have to do with not paying tax online, things seem to be getting more and more costly.
    I did the same thing that Fran did, and was shocked at the difference in not only price but seed count between Burpee online and Burpee in the stores. I would have thought it would be the opposite.. there I go thinkin again

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

Burpee's marketing is a science it's self. I usually get their seeds on store racks. Last year I noticed price and seed differences between Home Depot and LOwes (Lowes being the highest) the local Hardware store has a rack and their prices are higher than the chain hardware. The super Walmart here put out a rack in February and almost of the Burpee seed is 1.50 per packet. They also put out a later rack last year that more of a selection.
    I ordered from Burpee last year because they had a pole bean and a melon I wanted. Althought the bean seed was pricy I got 2oz of beans, that is about the same amount of seed packet size I get the farm store for truck patch farmer size.
    My brother asked me what I wanted for xmas and I said a gift certificate from T&M, Park, Burpee, Johnny's would be great he picked Burpee.
    My first glance at the catalog and the 50.00 would only buy 10 packets of seed! I am going thru the catalog again and picking out only what is on their seed sale rack and ordering only what I know I can't get locally. Even the equipment section was sparse for someone who has been gardening for decades.

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

Just look at the Burpee catalogue. It is fantastic and you are paying for it!

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carmen,

I don't know about that. I just went to Rite-Aid last night and basically got the same type of flower seed Burpee has in their catalog for $3.50 for only $0.10! Yes! 10 for $1.00! Not much of an exteneded selection, but they have the very basics, and if it is dependable and I like it, I'd rather pay $0.10 for a packet as compared to $3.50.

Just my $0.10!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living