Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordered new seeds today...wheeee!

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:42

I'm so excited to get started on my wintersowing this year, and extra excited that I'll be sharing the fun of wintersowing with my son's preschool class. I'm teaching the teachers and they are turning it into an environmental/science project for the class to plant vegis and flowers for the school.

I got all into looking up new varieties that I might try wintersowing, either because they make good cut flowers or because they do well in part shade (which I have a lot of) or just because they seem cool. I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed their knowledge to these boards over the years for helping me come up with these lists. Thanks for introducing me to WS and for making it so fun and easy to learn about!

And now just for fun, here's what I ordered today (and if anyone wants to chip in their two cents on these, more than welcome!)

ARMERIA, FORMOSA HYBRIDS
ASTER, METEOR CARMINE RED
BACHELOR'S BUTTON, RED BALL
CAMPANULA, WHITE CHIMNEY BELLFLOWER
CAMPANULA, WHITE CLIPS
COSMOS, CANDY STRIPE
ENGLISH DAISY, HABANERA MIX
TABLE MOUNTAIN HARDY ICE PLANT
LOBELIA, HALF MOON
LOBELIA, REGATTA ROSE
PETUNIA, GIOCONDA VIOLET
ROCK CRESS, CASCADE RED
RUDBECKIA, AUTUMN COLORS
ZINNIA, ENVY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordered new seeds today...wheeee!

LOL! I wintersowed about half of those this year! Can't wait to see how they turn out. It is my first year too.

The Rudbeckia Autumn Colors I have as a plant I bought a few years ago. It reseeds PROLIFICALLY!! So you should have no problem winter sowing that.

Very exciting that you are doing this as a project. Winter sowing seems to be almost a secret cult method of growing!

o

I have variations of most of what you're growing. The hardy ice plant was new to me last year. I babied them all season by keeping them in their container then planted them out in the fall. It looks like five of the six will survive the winter (and the dogs tramping over them). At one point I took a couple of them in the house, and one of them actually bloomed -- a purplish aster-like flower.

o

A very nice selection! Where did you order from? I'm interested in the Red Aster.

Sow those English Daisies because the come up early and do best in the spring.

o

I ordered from swallowtail seeds. I'd ordered from them before and they were fast and they have a nice selection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here