gardenfanatic2003
13 years ago

Can you give an opinion in my thread on the Hosta Conversations forums? Thanks,

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on mattress recommendations

Comments (14)

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Somethings are worth the money you pay for them, you may always complain about the price but you'll never regret the purchase. Get the most expensive mattress you can afford.

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was wondering if the Sealy Posturepedic or the Sleep Number beds are worth the money, or if it's a bunch of hype on TV commercials.

Deanna

• ljpother
    13 years ago

Shop around. Mattress prices can vary by $100's for the same mattress. Decide on the internal structure and features (pillow top) and compare prices for mattresses with the same construction, not brands. Non of the warranties are worth anything -- prove you turned your mattress once a month for ten years.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Different brands make different models too, so you can't really go by the name. We loved our waterbed when we were young but as we got older it just didn't give enough support.

My only try with memory foam was a pillow. Very comfy but hot! I woke up every night with wet, sweaty hair. No more memory foam for me- it doesn't breathe.

Karen

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Out my way, we see a lot of advertising for Trump Mattresses,we are looking also,we were told, the box spring is just, if not,as important.To many chooices.
    Oh, what to do?
    cAROL

• ljpother
    13 years ago

I think the box spring is a scam; but, bought one anyway. No warranty without it. We have a futon platform to put the mattress on and the vendors try to say the floor doesn't give enough support. :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

It feels really dumb, but my advice is put on something comfortable and go try them.... ignore the fact that you have a stranger standing upright next to you and check out all your favorite sleeping positions, see how it feels to shoulders, hips, lower back.

My favorite was the Duxiana and it was in no way going to fit into the budget any time soon or ever. I bought a Chiropractic International by Springwall and we've been happy with it - and it's on a bunky, not box springs. Matrress + bunky board makes the mattress top just slightly under waist high on my pine four poster, if on springs I couldn't have gotten into bed. I was assured by the store it did not void my warranty.

Someone asked about the sleep number - that wasn't one I investigated but my sis stayed at a hotel in Boston recently that touted 'sleep number' in their advertising. She said - glorified air mattress :)

So go try them. If you sleep with someone and not alone, try to time it so they can go too and lay down together so both weights are present. Roll around, try not to feel silly - it's a big purchase :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:359050}}

• noinwi
    13 years ago

We have a Beautyrest(Simmons, I think), the one with individually pocketed springs(remember the bowling ball commercial?). We're very happy with it. DH has trouble sleeping and gets in and out of bed frequently and until we had this mattress, I would wake up every time he did. Not to mention rolling into him when he moved. It just doesn't happen anymore.
    Also, we are on a budget, so we got the floor model which was marked down considerably.

• downsouthdavid
    13 years ago

Mattresses make great planting containers....ha ha jk!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I hate to add another element to your considerations, but there are many people who are concerned about the chemicals that are sprayed on mattresses. Especially fire retardant which has been required by law. I have kept our mattresses and not replaced them because of that. I am considering getting a new organic, non toxic mattress topper for ours. There are organic mattresses out there that are non toxic, but they are REALLY expensive! I have seen them in a showroom and tried one and it was really comfortable too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Should you ditch your chemical mattress?

• terrene
    12 years ago

I need a new mattress too. Mine is nearly 20 years old and has gotten soft and saggy.

Anybody have a Tempurpedic? My sister has had one for years and she loves it.

• northforker
    12 years ago

We were just having this discussion at work yesterday - -seems NOBODY really loves their mattress, regardless of how much they paid!

A coworker spent 2K on a deluxe queen super duper supporter mattress - and hates it after a year. My hubby and I had a fancy king size that got too soft too fast and we ended up moving to a queen (giving my son the king mattress - a king for my prince!). We chose one at Macys that was very firm, a week after delivery we felt like we were sleeping on a concrete pad. I had read wonderful things about those memory foam toppers and did some investigation. Seems you need at least 3" thickness to have it really work. Anyway, I ordered one and we love our bed now. Still very firm (for our backs) but with a "cush" before it gets firm (hard to explain) that is great.

Best of luck to you!
    Nancy

• kay-jay
    12 years ago

I work at a mattress store. The secret insider tip is to find a store that will let you sleep on a mattress for at least 30-60 days and then exchange it if you don't like it. You have to give your body several weeks to get used to a new mattress before you can really decide if you like it. Most people hate their new beds at first because their muscles are used to the old one. After you retrain your muscles you will like the bed better. If you don't like it after a month you won't ever like it. Also, don't fall for the hype of pillowtops. New flame resistance laws made the manufacturers change the composition if the foam so it doesn't hold up as well.

• Jacob12
    10 years ago

Hi,
    You can buy memory foam mattresses which are more useful for back pain and spine problems.

Sponsored