Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plastic bags over milk jugs

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:47

In a earlier post someone just cuts out a large hold in milk cartons and covers with a plastic gallon bag. I thought this was great and would eliminate the need for the 'flap' that has to be taped down but found that the gallon bags won't fit over a gallon milk jug.

So, I found that the plastic bags from grocery produce do fit and it seems a much easier way to use the milk jugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plastic bags over milk jugs

I have used the window with a plastic bag for several years.
The window makes it easy to see when germination occurs and see the sprouts growing. The plastic bags I use are freezer bags and last for years with only a few each year splitting and needing to be recycled.

In my area the plastic jugs become brittle from sun exposure after 2-3 years. In the 2nd year I have started cutting the top off to remove seedlings and recycling the jugs.

I also use 2L bottles cut in half with the top pushed over the bottom. So far none of the 2L bottles have gotten brittle and have been used for up to 5 years.

In this photo there is one in the back row which still has the bag over it. The other bags have been removed and most of the open windows of the front row have been turned towards the 2L to keep out chipmunks and squirrels.

WS Spring 2008 photo IMG_0223-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here