Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peat moss?

Posted by sorie6 6b ok. (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 17:16

Is it possible to use all peat moss for WS? It's all I have right now so thought I'd ask. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peat moss?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 19:16

No, bad idea. Straight peat will become hydrophobic if allowed to dry out, you almost have to use hot water and stir or knead it in to rewet it - which you can't do of course with seeds sown on top. You'll be happier and so will your seedlings if you wait until you can pick up some potting mix/potting soil.

o

OK will do. Thanks

o

ProMix is peat mixed with perlite. I could be wrong but I think most all seed-starting mixes are mostly peat moss. Potting soil is used once seedlings are up and growing. Once the seedlings use up the nutrition in the seed, they need something like compost which will be found in potting mixes.

A compressed bale of peat moss is very inexpensive. All you need to do is mix it with a bag of perlite or vermiculite (to lighten it up) and you have the equivalent of ProMix if it isn't available in your area.

Personally, I buy the compressed bales of ProMix because I find it easier than doing the mixing thing. Once I am ready to transplant my seedlings, I add compost from my working compost pile to the ProMix and I have 'potting soil'.

o

To make your own peat based potting mix in addition to perlite or vermiculite, you would also normally need to use some lime since peat moss is acidic. Commercial mixes also often include a starter fertilizer and a wetting agent that makes it easier to get the peat moss wet. If I recall dish soap has a similar effect for wetting? There are some recipes over on the container forum.

I buy potting mix for wintersowing for convenience, but make my own mix for container planting. It is the 5-1-1 mix (from container forum) and much cheaper and better performing than regular potting mix.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 15:08

Can't get the ProMix here, but the online label shows Canadian Sphagnum peat moss (65-75 % / volume)
Perlite horticultural grade
Dolomitic and Calcitic limestone (pH adjuster)
+ The ingredient that helps to solve the water repelling tendency of peat = a Wetting Agent
And some of the product line, not sure if all, Mycorrhizae fungi

I don't mix my own, but one of our local Mom/Pop garden centers does mix and bag potting soil for us, using the Cornell 'Peat Lite' recipe and tweaking it a little for this mild wet climate. I'm working towards more in the ground and covered by sprinkling system (system that still needs an overhaul), and less in containers dependent on me, so am using less potting 'soils' these days ;)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 15:10

If you buy dry peat and use it wear a dust and particle mask while doing so.

And gloves.

o

In the last decade of my life - never used a dust mask -- good idea not to inhale it though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here