Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_greenjeans

Hope I Got The Right Place

organic_greenjeans
12 years ago

Hello gardening friends & fellow seed hoarders/sharers!

Although I joined the forum awhile back, I think in '07, I've only recently become active. I've made several posts about various things, but after posting about seeds I had to share & getting zero responses, I thought maybe I should introduce myself!

First, I went through & read special forum instructions & just generally started finding my way around. I don't think I did my seed post right, but I'm a little confused about the instuctions, chemocurl's post highlighting them with bold type.

Please let me know if I've got this right, because I'd like to be part of this! So, I cannot ASK for seeds(for postage) without offering something as a trade, but I can OFFER seeds for postage without a trade item offered. Yes? Do I have this right?!

If not, I hope someone will kindly straighten me out! I've had several strokes which have left me a bit addle brained & at times making comprehension a challenge!

I'm a retired nursery professional, 21 yrs. worth! First memory of my grandmother was literally at her knee in her gardens, where she gave me a small trowel & put me to work in the 'Tawny'daylily bed (of concrete hard dirt-looking back I wouldn't even call it soil!)next to the neighbor's garage where I could do no damage! And likely kept out of her way!

The last few years of my life have unfolded like Murphy's Law on steroids. Multiple close family deaths, home destroyed by fire, & finally some health issues.

But I'm finally settled again where I can have gardens. My grandma used to wintersow, now that's been many decades ago mind you, but I still ended up starting indoors under lights. Go figure!

Until now that is. About a month or so ago I started thinking about how I was going to get garden babies going this year. My starting set up is in the basement & that just wasnt going to work! I thought of the GardenWeb site & started reading, thinking I'd find some ideas, when Voila! I find this forum!

So here I am, with so far 8 containers wintersown, more to come for tender annuals & vegies. To those of you who've taken the time to read all this (my goodness I have gone on haven't I) & to those who haven't but have posted your experiences with W/Sing, both long-timers & new, I would like to thank you with all my heart. You've helped me be able to keep doing something I love very much!

Having lost all my seed in the fire, I've only got a couple shoebox sized storage containers partially filled back up! I'm hoping to be able to join in here on your ex changes to remedy this & soon to have some more to offer as well. I'll start a list today (didn't know about that) & if I can find some pictures of older gardens will post as soon as I figure out how!

Except when it comes to hostas, ferns & the like, I'm not a shady character, so I'm looking forward to becoming part, even if only small, of this great thing you have going on here!

Happy Sowing & Growing!

GreenJeans

aka GJ or Jean!

Comments (9)

• efd123
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Jean!
    I am somewhat of a newbie here also and hope that you will have much success in this coming season and with your wintersowing, I am pushing myself to put a few milkjugs out this week, I know I am late but I guess it can't hurt.
    I hope that the joy of gardening will be able to bring you back to a happier place in spite of all that has seemed to have happened to you lately I look forward to seeing your progress ( and any of those pictures you might post :) )

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Welcome Jean. I enjoyed your story.

I am going over my seeds now. If you are looking for something give me an e-mail. I am a flower person, but I do have some vegetables.

I got lots of Cleome sparkler mix from trade, these seeds look pretty fresh.
    Send me an e-mail.
    Sincerely,
    Ladyrose65

• organic_greenjeans
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you efd! I'm going to work on the picture uploading now, so wish me luck. I see you're a zone warmer than here; do you have to worry about late freezes in your location? Good luck to you too!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Hi, Jean.

Yes, you have the seed exchange part correct. If you want to discuss it more you could do that on the seed exchange site or on this forum's exchange page. Though many people aren't aware there are four parts to this forum with links above the messages list:

"On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Gallery : Exchanges : Conversations]

The idea is to keep the On Topic Discussion page on each forum from getting filled with info that doesn't relate directly to the topic.

The Exchange page is to help consolidate exchanges so one doesn't have to check through every messages to see what if being offered. Also some will not read every post on the Discussion page and may miss the exchange offer.

The Conversation page is for chatting about anything that isn't directly related to the on topic Discussion page. News of families, babies, pets, jokes, recipes, funny stories etc.

The Gallery section is to post photos though most post photos in the on-topic Discussion page because they are more likely to be seen and responded to on this page.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I am sorry for the sadness and physically difficulties you have faced and continue to face and glad that you are able to garden with joy and anticipation again.

I have ws thousands of containers over the years but only 4 containers this year, just a bump in my gardening plans and am hoping to get more done later and I am not actively trading seeds at this time so haven't been reading the Seed Exhange page or paying much attention to the offers in other postings.

A few suggestions to get responses to your seed exchange offers:
    1. Post on the Seed Exchange Forum and the Round Robin Forum.
    2. Post on exchange pages of this and other forums that you frequent.
    3. Join group exchanges. There was a group Wintersowing Swap earlier this year. Sometimes there will be a post telling of a new swap and linking to it.
    4. If someone has expressed interest in trading in a Discussion posting follow up with an e-mail to that person. It is easy to forget the offer if one doesn't go back to read the post again.

I look forward to seeing your photos and reading more about your winter sowing experiences.

Bobbie

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Bakemom's Newby packs if you haven't already sent for one.

You don't have to be a newby to get her packs.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Newby Packs

• jessewo
    12 years ago

You've come to the right place! So many generous and caring folks here! I took a quick look at your list & think I have seeds you can use, let me take a look in the seed boxes this weekend & I'll send you an e-mail

• organic_greenjeans
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I'm nearly finished cleaning & packing up seed to send to bakemom, so some of mine will be in circulation soon too I hope! I took a peek at your trade list & I may have some 'smallish' vegies' seed to share, such as Minnesota Midget cantaloupe & Pixie baby cabbage. If you'd be interested in either of those, mention it in your email!

• jessewo
    12 years ago

You've got mail!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company