cottagedreamer
13 years ago

I WS'd my first ever 5 (gallon size) jugs today:

Iceland Poppies

Malva Zebrina

Sweet Williams

Calendula

Cottage Garden Mix (American Seeds)

Planning to sow a few jugs a day the next week or two.

What have you sown or are planning on sowing?

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    13 years ago

lettuce, basil, balsam, calendula, alyssum

• Margie Crawford
    13 years ago

Congratulations on sowing your first jugs! I'm planting all kinds of things - alpine strawberries, dianthus, eryngium, rose campion, butterfly weed, parsley, yellow columbine, rudbeckia, balloonflower. I'll start tomatoes in a few weeks.

A word of encouragement - this is my second year WS and everything is SO much easier. I'm not worried about the container, amount of soil, moisture level of soil, depth of seed, too much/too little tape, etc, etc. Everything worked so well last year that now I just plant it and forget it.

Have fun!

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Well, let me see...actually, the list is very long, I'm planting mostly North American native perennials this year, a few shrubs, pawpaw, and the few daylily seeds I have. Last year I didn't go so crazy with the crossing (of daylilies) like I did the year before (I had at least 600 daylily seeds last year and gave half of them away to a friend, way too many for myself), this year I have about fifty. I'm going to sow a few annuals too so I have something in bloom this year while the perennials grow. Some of those will get sown directly in the ground (morning glories, sweet peas for example). I just hope I can get the beds prepared before the seedlings outgrow their jugs.

Karen

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

So far, lots of heuchera and blackberry lily as well as poppies, clematis and lots of others I can't remember at the moment. : ) I'll have to update later.

• cottagedreamer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Onedaylily - Thanks for the encouragement - I've been stressing over every detail, but I should relax and have more fun. Glad to know it works out somehow!

Tepelus - I hadn't thought of the perennials needing a couple of years to bloom. I'd better get some more annuals going. Thanks!

Floodthelast - I'm wsowing the seeds you gave me today or tomorrow - thanks!

Just wsowed some more jugs yesterday - purple coneflower, penstemon, chives, shasta daisy, alyssum, wallflower, yarrow.

We're getting some warmer temps this week, so I'm sowing later in the day and making sure the jugs are in the shade.

• weebay
    13 years ago

Everything? Is it possible? At least that's what it feels like. 20 different types of poppies, hosta and heuchera are new for me this year, and lots of others!

floodthelast, have you ws'n clematis before? if so I'd love to hear your experiences. I was thinking of experimenting this year. I know different clematis can vary wildly in how long it takes for germination so I have never tried.

Also, I know lots of people have great results moving their jugs into more shady areas, this is just my second year, but last year I had all my jugs in southern facing sun on a cement patio, and they did wonderful. I did not have any problems with frying them, I also had 98% germination and took off the lids(opened them up) when temps got into 70's, and planted out quickly. Just wanted to share, everyone has different methods in WS'ing, finding out which way works best for you is part of the fun. It will be fun to see how this year goes!
    cheers
    weebay

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Since I only sowed 9 jugs, wouldn't you think I'd remember what they were? I do remember a heuchera, helenium, cynoglossum, ????the other 6 I forget! Most seeds were several years old.

Karen

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

I've never done clematis before so it's all new to me. I did put some canna seeds out yesterday and those are new to me as well.

With full sun just remember that inside your containers tends to be about 10 degrees warmer than outside.

Sponsored