Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

A lesson learned today

pippi21
13 years ago

I wanted to check my milk jugs to see if there was any possibility that I might have some sprouts on the seeds I planted back in late Dec. We have had a warming trend for past few days and I was hoping. One day last week I found that the bottom of one of the clear, milk crates I had purchased at Staples a few weeks back had a few inches of solid ice in the bottom from when we had snow about 3 weeks ago. Since it was in 70's and high 60's the last two days, I figured that would have melted. Oh, it did melt and had no wheres to go so my milk jugs were sitting in about 2 inches of water. I realized those milk jugs/aka file storage boxes had no holes in the bottom for drainage. Duh! My mistake; they were such nice crates and a clear color, it never dawned on me about their bottom being solid plasic. No wonder there was a block of ice under the milk jugs. I took each milk jug out, sat them on the ground, bought the crate inside and used the soldering iron tool and made many drainage holes in bottom and even the sides and put them all back in there. The bottom of that storage crates was such hard plastic. It was taking my soldering iron a while to burn through the plastic and at least it was stamped in the plastic bottom MADE IN THE USA, no wonder it was so sturdy and solid! So tonight I am poking more drainage holes in the other one. I think I'll go back to the thrift shop and see if they have anymore for $1.91..these clear ones from Staples were $6.99 each. Can slugs crawl up into the drainage holes if the milk crates is sitting on the ground? I sure hope the seeds haven't rotted from sitting in that water these past few days. Valuable lesson learned!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions