Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Shelf-life of seeds?

mmqchdygg
15 years ago

My seed stash is anywhere from 2006-2008, including seeds dating back to 2003. Has anyone found any specific 'shelf life' of particular seeds?

So far, I can't say that I've had poor germination from my traded seeds, not having paid much attention to the dates on the packets if there were any.

I'm actually wondering about zinnias, but didn't know if anyone felt like offering anything up that they may have learned for the rest of us.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I think it varies from species to species, how they were stored, etc.

With traded seeds, if they were harvested by that gardener, you have to consider the possible margin of error there. (Like were they ripe when collected?, how were they stored?) Beginners who have the best of intentions don't necessarily get it all right in the beginning. I think that's just something you just have to accept if you want to trade.

For commercial seeds, I expect them to get it all right, though I'm sure that's not necessarily true, either. If they're several years old, I'd sow more heavily assuming that fertility might not be what it was in year one.

Karen

• columbusgardener
    15 years ago

wasn't "Nettasaurus" doing some kind of study on old seeds and their germination rates?

I remeber her starting it - but I don't recall a finish

• drippy
    15 years ago

4 out of 4 of Earl's Faux tomato seeds, from a 2006 trade, have germinated for me in my indoor flats - woo hoo! I am expecting my WS tomatoes from that era to do as well.

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

The one I always heard was only good for a year was Delphinium, and it seems to be true.

Storage conditions of cool and dry tend to encourage seeds to last longer than warm and/or damp.

It has been said that bean and amaranth seeds found in the old Anasazi ruins of the Southwest sprouted when they were at lest 800 yrs old, but I'm not sure if it is true.

Sue

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

I had pea and snow pea seeds that were only 3 years old fail last year. Later I read that pea seeds do not store well for some reason, so I am replacing those this year. But all my other seeds have germinated really well; have kept them cool & dry thanks to advice from folks on this forum.

• ramazz
    15 years ago

Here is something I have saved. I don't know how accurate it is, and of course, I don't have "ideal storage."

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Longevity of seeds in ideal storage

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most excellent! Thanks Becky!

• terrene
    15 years ago

The longevity of seeds greatly depends on how they were dried and stored. Bill Cullina, author of "Growing and Propogating Native flowers of North America" says that seeds should be dried for several weeks after collection until the moisture content is 3-10%. One would assume that commercial seed companies have thoroughly dried their seeds before selling them.

Regarding storage, he writes "The other way to slow down the aging process of the your seed is to refrigerate it. Metabolism involves chemical reactions that are greatly slowed as the temperatures are lowered to near freezing, and air-dried seed stored in paper envelopes in the refrigerator will stay viable FIVE TO TEN times as long as seed kept at room temperature."

I have had great success germinating seeds that are 10 years old or older, by storing seeds in open ziploc baggies in a drawer in the refrigerator, with dessicants thrown in the baggies and the drawer.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump for ponce...

• ponce418
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Would it be a good or bad idea to vacuum pack them?
    (Like with those Tilia food saver thingies)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I wouldn't. It might crush them.

Karen

Sponsored