Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Pictures of my jugs! ;)

agirlsgirl
16 years ago

Hi! I have finally figured out how to get my pics off of my new camera.Here is all of my perennial containers.There is 194 of them,I expect to put just a couple more out before I start my annuals.There are various containers, most hidden by the snow. I am thankful for the enclosed deck,it has provided wonderful protection from the wind. I am also going to try to include a link with pics of my sprouts..no not ws sprouts,but still sprouts,the green really has lifted my spirits and figured there are probably a few others that could use to see some green!

{{gwi:360281}}

{{gwi:360282}}

Comments (61)

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Looks great Angie. I never thought of the reflective blankets. Great idea.....

My new job is getting in the way of my ws.... Help LOL

You are gonna have a wonderful garden.... Barb

• terrene
    16 years ago

Wow, that's so exciting! Lots of seeds you're starting there! This winter-sowing thing is addictive isn't it, I'm up to 65 containers with another 40 (?) coming.

I think my eyes are bigger than my garden beds...hehe

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

Cute subject line! ;-D

You are way ahead of me, I just put 10 jugs out last night. I am up to 34 now. And I have a ton more seeds to go! I need to drink more milk more quickly!!!!!!

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Barb! I knew this job was going to interfer with important things like wsing and seed trading...lol..I hope it is going well! :) DH was the one who actually suggested the reflective blankets to me! Seems sometimes non gardeners can come up with some good ideas on the subject!

terrene,it sure is addicting...lol...I plan on sharing the plants I have extra of with friends and family. Quite a few containers I have going are for Gramma's yard.I cant wait for my clover,since replying to your SASBE offer,I have really been thinking about the clover and it's benefits.And of course the beauty of them! My son really likes the purple I am getting from you,he insists some of it needs to be in his garden also...lol...boys got good taste! :)

greengardener,I hit the jack pot with my cousin who has 4 kids and DH's cousin that only has 3, but they really put out the jugs! DH picks them up for me once a week from his cousin,last week he retreived a total of 35 containers from both cousins combined! Got any cousin with kids?...lol..

• tansy_moon
    16 years ago

I'm addicted too. I'm emptying food containers as quick as I can and drinking a lot of water, soup, and tea! Gotta have those containers!

I always look for more seeds too, when I'm shopping, I keep thinking of things I haven't bought seeds for yet like green basil and spinach. This is a gardeners dream come true--more room for seedings by using the great outdoors! No more skinny seedlings in a spare room for this gardener.

As soon as my squashes sprout this year under flourescents and get their second leaves, they are going outside into milk cartons. Pictures to come from my 24 x 24 raised bed garden.

I've got 4 more empty containers ready to fill tonight--I need to plant some Chinese veggies and violets, forget-me-nots, petunias, rocket, cress. Guess I'll have to go to the Dollar store for baking pans!

I have about 30 WS containers started at this point plan to join the 100 club next season!

I am already eyeing new window boxes, because with the baking plan method I just might get my dream of balconies dripping with flowers.

Thank you all at WS for such good garden ideas!

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

I love your jugs :-)

• monipsych
    16 years ago

I'm tired just looking at them....LOL :)
    Great job!
    Monica

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Sheesh!

People at my job think I'm crazy with the 150 packets of seeds I bought this year! Compared to some of you I am a study in SANITY!!!

While I do have 30-50 perennial and annual flowers, most of what I bought are veggies, herbs and plants specifically to be used as companion plants per ghorganics and other sites on companion planting.

So, along with WSing many plants this winter I am also designing my veggie and herb beds, and laying things out to help each other grow better and repel the nasty things like hornworms, jap beetles and cuke beetles.

joy oh joy. Oh yes...trying the permaculture route with sheet mulching too. So this year I am experimenting in a BIG way. It could all be a HUGE success or a MASSIVE disaster. Hopefully it will all in all work out reasonably well.

• tansy_moon
    16 years ago

Zengeos, good luck with the companion planting.

I've never found companion planting to work in keeping away my pests. Slugs and beetles eat my plants regardless of my careful combinations--but this year I'm going with more traps and a lot more floating row covers!
    Companion planting is a very good thing to do when you want to make sure plants are not near another plant that is harmful to their growth, but I urge you to get some barriers like row covers if you're going to go organic.

What is the sheet mulching? Can you let me know?

I'm always looking for better vegetable garden ideas.

Tansy

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on my jugs,I am so flattered(*batting eyelashes*)...lol..:)
    Zengeos,I wish you much success! Let us know how it all works out!
    Tansy,it sounds like you are making great progress,I will be here to congratulate you on #100!:)

• terrene
    16 years ago

Agirlsgirl - I was going to ask what the heck are you going to do with all of those?! but didn't want to sound rude - after all, we're all sane and balanced here, there's no way any one on this forum is planting more than they know what to do with?? hehe

Your SASBE is on the way - it went out yesterday with lots of the Purple prairie clover. The flowers are pretty, and it fixes nitrogen in the soil. Apparently once it's established the roots go down 6-10 feet. That's great your son wants to plant it too!

Zengeos - ditto. Planning to do a lot more experimenting with lasagne beds and sheet mulching this year. I have to have somewhere to plant all these WS seedlings! If I get desperate I may have to dig a bed or two and plunk the seedlings.

Tansy - sheet mulching is mulching existing beds or making new beds using layers of mulch. It's synonymous to lasagne gardening - you layer organic materials like leaves, grass clippings, coffee grounds, cardboard/newspaper, manure, compost etc. trying to achieve a balanced mix of green/brown (more/less nitrogen) materials. Then you let it decompose and the mulch suppresses weeds and adds organic matter to the soil. You can layer it deep and create new beds!

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Shake your money makers! Gardeners gone wild.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol....bakemom, you know you inspired the subject line right?:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh and terrene,I wouldn't put it past myself to try to fit them all in this yard! But, I am thankful all of them will have homes! A friend of mine also has 6 acres of property and is having me landscape the front for her,so all those extra butterfly and bird flowers will be happy right outside a horse pasture,her soil is black gold! She's giving me horse pooh as payment...lol...will work for pooh! :)

• moonphase
    16 years ago

TERENNE,I was going to ask what the heck are you going to do with all of those?! but didn't want to sound rude - after all, we're all sane and balanced here, there's no way any one on this forum is planting more than they know what to do with?? hehe -When I read this I just had a fit if giggles.My older sister has always sworn I have about 5 different personalities and Now I feel so much better thinking I am ok about planting for all 5 of me..lolol
    GGG,our snow here in Dahlonega lasted all of one day.I wish it would get cold-I really need some cold because I am running behind on some that has to have some cold nights.
    moonphase

• lblack61
    16 years ago

LOL!
    This is the thread my husband always looks forward to. He usually expects it from Bakemom, but I think he'll enjoy this just the same...

Linda

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

I'm a newbie and when I first saw this thread I thought "what the heck?!?!" then morbid curiosity got the best of me and I peeked...hehehehe....Nice Jugs...here's a pix of mine. Has anyone seen the movie "Calender Girls" it's about some british ladies-very funny movie-good to watch while making up a new of "whats next to WS" B {{gwi:360283}}

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Brandy,DH and I were talking about how funny it would be to have a "Jugs of WS" calender...lol...I dont know if this was suggested before ,but we thought it would be hilarious!Of course bakemom would have to be the one to organize it! :) Brandy,your jugs are fabulous!

moonphase,I know what you mean ,people here are praying for an early spring, and I am hoping the cold and snow will last a bit longer,they think I am nuts...lol...wait until they find out I have a budding Brug problem and I am showing pics of my jugs on line...lol..yes bakemom,it is gardeners gone wild...lol...

Linda,I know I stole the line from bakemom,but I just couldnt resist,I also get a kick out of it,she is soooo funny!

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

I've got a straw hat and big watering can anyone got a camera?? Maybe we could submit pics our DH took(that is darling husband, not d%$&, right?) But being WINTERsowers must we take the pics IN winter?? B

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL....yes darling husband...today at least...some days he can be the other...lol...
    I was thinking of maybe,pics of the jugs,maybe some in a bikini or some other sexy wardrobe,or your idea of the winter sower with their jugs...or maybe both....oh bakemom what do you think?

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another thought,how about everyone come up with their own idea? do their own thing? We can start a thread for this and everyone that wants to participate can post a silly pic of them and their jugs?

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

We have been joking about a men's calendar for years - but then there's great debate about who gets to pose with the root vegetables in the summer and it falls apart.

That british movie is great - I bought it.

• monipsych
    16 years ago

OK the root vegetable bit got mt to LOL......
    I also can picture a milk jug dressed for all seasons like they do the ducks. :)
    Monica

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Monica,Brilliant! I think I may just do that! Gramma is so disturbed by those geese,dont ask me why,I wonder what she would think of a milk jug sitting there on my porch dressed up...lol...I bet the goose wouldnt be so bad then!
    bakemom,I cant thank you enough for all the giggles...root veggies...lol..

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Zucchini...grourds, cukes - the debate rages on. I think there's a nakd gardener's mens' calendar in Texas that's pretty cute.

Then there was the thread about a winter sowers' convention... where did all those goodies go?

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I know that I am a total newbie, and I really hate to but in, but brandymulvaine, I think that you should be taking the "pasties"/lids off your 'jugs' ;-)
    gg

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

your right GG I've been meaning to remove those "pasties" LOL but forget to do it when I take new jugs out! dang-nab-it!! First thing in the morning they come off Thanks:-) B

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

lol, I am glad someone else mentioned it brandy, because that was the first thing that I noticed when I looked at your pictures.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brandy,Trudi had mentioned just ditching the lids right away,dont even hold on to them. I throw mine away right after I wash it,by the time they are cut and make it to the bleach water,the lids are long gone!;)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i love all the stuff you got here!! the pics are so awesome!! you did a great job!! man and i thought my line was a bit uhhhhh tawdry?? sp LOL i am soooo laughing ya know!! LOL i am sooo telling the gals in the rr to look at this if they havent all ready!! youve done a great job!!
    yes the lids go right into the trash as soon as your done with the container. i don't even rinse them. i know i'm terrible.
    ws "jugs" would be funny!! LOL

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

well my post last night didnt take...

Angie, I know we are friends, but I cant beleive you are showing me your jugs !! I am just glad you didnt post " Ill show you my jugs if you show me yours....." LOL Between you and Michelles tulips in uranus RR, I am not sure which of you is funnier..

I think a thread where we could all decorate a "jug" would be so much fun, and help pass the next few weeks of spring fever...

Thanks for all the laughs ...

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL...thanks medo! I cant wait to see pics of that GH you just got! You are going to live in it I bet!:) I can hear the kids now..."Dad what happened to our mother?"...he would respond with,"Well kids,your mother has been eaten by the green house!" No better way to go! :D

Yes Kym,I am showing my jugs to you , all of GW and any passer byers...lol..! I am a loose cannon! And if you want you can show me your jugs since you already seen mine...lol...I love your idea for the subject line,you ought to start a thread! :)

We should dress up our jugs,why not?Anyone else besides Kym and I crazy enough to do it?...lol...see Kym this is why we are friends!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

LOL craziness is sosoo in the air!! see that's why i love spring!! LOL i just went to the dollar store and bought two more gh's for 350. pretty cool!! oh yeah at lowes they have stay green for 10.29 i believe and its 3 cubic feet. how awesome is that, and its pretty light!! it feeds for 9 months too!! i cant' wait to start using it.

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

Well ladies and gentleman here they are(look out Playboy here I come!)-LOL-
    here are pictures of my jugs
    I'm trying to find a grass skirt and a coconut bra
    anyone know were I cand find a teenie-weenie one??B
    {{gwi:360284}} {{gwi:360286}}

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brandy! I love it!...lol...lol...lol.....
    How adorable is that?!? I cant stop looking at your jugs...lol...now I am motivated,I must work on dressing my jugs this weekend!:)
    I noticed there is soil/mix,in your jug,what you got going in it?

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

agirlsgirl, just columbine barlow mix, I wish it had been something exotic or sexy sounding but columbine was next on the list. Ya gotta follow the list!! A funnier name would have been some kind of liquor too bad I already wintersowed william guinness....B

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Terrene,

Luckily, I have a 100 square foot more traditional, tilled garden...at least, I expanded the tilled area this last fall to be 1000 square feet.

I HOPE to do a boat load of sheet mulching in April, placing transplants that are ready, like broc, cauli, some of the herbs, etc immediately, and letting the rest sit until later in May, when the rest of the sheet mulched beds will be ready. Call me crazy, but I hope to find time and energy to sheetmulch appx 12 4' x 25' *rows* for my experiment in sheet mulching this year, along with creation of 4 or 5 herb spirals.

Maybe I am a fool, but I'm going to do as much as possible in April, after the snow melts for prep. I thin that will end up being the most intense part of the whole garden season, the rest will just be planting out and basic weekly maintenance for a couple hours a week.

I've laid out each of the sheetmulch beds in guilds, so hopefully things will work out.

50 tomatoes, 60 peppers, 24 circles of corn, beans and squash or cukes, 50 brocs, 30 cauli, etc. I may even try peanuts this year.

Onions, borage, lovage, marigolds, nasturtium, peonies, etc spread throughout the garden except where they conflict with the veggies.

What the heck!
    My garden is turning into a monster!

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Oh Brandy, you have MADE MY DAY, i have tears running down my cheeks from laughing soo hard...I dont have any doll clothes so I am gonna have to get real creative..OK, the contest is on....who is next ???

I sure wish I had some "hairy ball seeds" ( it is a plant , honest )

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL...I actually stayed up last night dressing a jug...It is no where as cool and well done as Brandy's.I used what I had on hand at the moment! I am going to get the pic off the camerea and post it soon..

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Angie I cant wait to see it !! Oh what fun this has been checking out everyones jugs !!

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

hairy ball seeds!?!? WOW and I thought hoary puccoon and b#%^$*& toadflax were odd. Now I'll be up all night wondering what the heck THEY look like.
    B

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Named for a reason.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

WOW how cute!!! now i can't wait to see angie's!! LOL and anyone else's!! LOL man if my mind was in the gutter this would be sooo bad!!! LOL

• ohsillyme
    16 years ago

oh no you did not dress up your winter jugs!! ROFLMBO!!!
    Darn, I wish my camera worked!!

• monipsych
    16 years ago

You have to much time on yor hands.......LOL I love the creativity and of course vicariously am looking forward to the next pictures.... It really deserves a thread of it's own...
    Monica

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

ohsillyme, what is ROFLMBO mean?? sorry I'm computer stupid-had to ask the kids what LOL meant. LOL!!
    B

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Brandy
    ROFLMBO means....

rolling on the floor laughing my butt off

OHHHHHH ANGIE...where are your jugs ??????? I am anxiously waiting to see them...again..LMAO

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

comeon everyone chant "JUGS, JUGS,JUGS.... Please don't
    make me be the only one.
    B

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

JUGS, JUGS, JUGS, JUGS.....WE WANT TO SEE YOUR JUGS, JUGS, JUGS............

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey guys,I am so sick I dont have much energy for anything today,I am up now checking the computer before it is lights out for more than an hour or two! I have a few adjustments I need to make to my jug before I post a pic,but I promise as soon as this eases up on me I will post mine,she is a sexy girl,let me tell you..lol...such a great figure!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery