o
Something to pull in more newbies :-)

Posted by pitimpinai z6 Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 18:44

Front yard in June:
Photobucket

Vera, I finally found a pic of my backyard in July:
Photobucket

Remember that I have a tiny yard in the city. :-)
But I like to stuff it to the hilt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something to pull in more newbies :-)

Gorgeous, can't wait to see my first results too.

o

Ooh! I want that!

o

Shut up! (That was meant in a good way) Wow! Those pics are amazing. They remind me of what I'm trying to achieve in my backyard. What are those pink flowers in the first pic? Drooling... Nikki

o

Nikki,

Those are Bee Balm (Monarda). Piti sure knows how to grow them. Gorgeous!!!

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 19:21

C'mon, pit! Pull in us oldies too! More, more ...

Nikki, the "pinks" in the first picture are monarda.

PV

o

Now you have to tell us what each plant is and whether it was wintersown and if it bloomed the first year. Cause we know everyone here keeps such meticulous records. :)

o

WOW!! So nice! I have a small garden in the city too! Now I know what I want it to look like! Thanks for posting those!
I grew some Monarda as well, but not as many as you did. I just today WSed seeds from them, but I think I did it all wrong. Should have read the FAQs at the Seed Saving Forum last fall instead of after I sowed today ! Oh well, maybe some of the seeds haven't read the FAQs either and they'll just pop up anyway!

o

Oh how beautiful. I see why you guys sow jugs by the begillion. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Dea

o

Lol. I am causing a stir, eh?
Thanks, everyone. :-)

About half of them in the backyard were winter sown.
Here are some at closer look. They were WS:

Penny Black. I have not been able to find any more seeds since:
Photobucket

Feverfew. I love these plants. I have at least 5 different forms in my garden. I am too lazy to look up the botanical name right now. Tiff and others will supply it; I am sure:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Shirley Poppy:
Photobucket
California Poppy and Petunia:
Photobucket
More petunia. These were grown from seeds collected from Dolcisimo Flambe
Photobucket

Coreopsis tinctoria:
Photobucket

Rudbeckia hirta burpeeii from Donn:
Photobucket

Sunflower ‘Baby Bear’ from Debbie in Columbus:
Photobucket

o
re: Winter Sowing

Oh, the series above are all annuals or hardy annuals. They bloom the first year. Some may last until the second year...such as Feverfew and Rudbeckia hirta.

In the 2nd pic in my first post, the drumstick-like lavender flower in the foreground is Liatris spicata 'Kobold'. I grew them from plants, but the seeds will WSow or self sow readily and will bloom the second year. The blue balloon flower also in the foreground will bloom the first year too.

o

Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 20:57

Wow, those feverfew are beauts! And Donn's ruds! And all of them!!!!

Pit, I have some commercial penny black seeds - about 3 years old. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share. Drop me an email ...

PV

o

PV, Yeah! I would love some Penny Black seeds. Thanks a bunch. You are so kind. Would you like Prairie Smoke seeds? This is a beloved plant of mine and I don't usually offer it as a bonus.... or anything else you like. PLMK.

Another angle in the backyard:
Photobucket

Bunny Tail Grass, Lagurus ovatus, annual:
Photobucket

California poppy with Convulvulus Ensign series:

Photobucket

These are perennials:
Prairie Smoke, Geum triflorum from Wsowing. I had drooled over this flower for ages. Mine blooms the second year. I bought a new baby last winter..a baby that produced these gorgeous photos. That's why I hardly posted on the forum last year. :-)
Prairie Smoke
Photobucket
Photobucket

The angle from the alley. The Clematis is on the side of the garage. It’s Niobe right next to Etoile Violette:
Photobucket
Clematis ‘Etoile Violette’. This clematis has rather small flowers, but blooms profusely:
Photobucket

Stepping closer into the backyard:
Clematis Venusa violacea. A favorite:
Photobucket

o

Okay quit enabling hahhaha I love your gardens keep them coming. Still a newb in WI...Barb

o

All I can say is WOW! I'm not new to this but I just cannot get red monarda to grow for me. The lavender does just fine, but I SO badly want the red--it is one of my favorite flowers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dandelion Haven

o

Tee hee...heee I am on a role here.
This garden is a 22-year work...so it didn't happen over night.

Forest girl,
The red Monarda is growing rampant for me. I have to keep pulling it out. But the pink one does not spread like the red one. If you like, I can mail some to you in spring for postage. PLMK.

Photobucket

Clematis Venusa Vilacea:
Photobucket

Clematis ‘Madame Julia Corevon’:
Photobucket
I love these small flowered clematis. They bloom all season long unlike the larger flowered ones that bloom profusely in the season and then only sporadically the rest of summer..like this one just by the garage door. Clematis jackmanii:
Photobucket

This clematis grows next to a Viburnum next to C. jackmanii above. C. durandii. It’s a pain because this clematis does not cling to anything. I have to keep tying it to the viburnum:
Photobucket

These clamatis are on the narrow strip along the fence:
C. huldine. This one is relatively new. Only two years old:
Photobucket
C. ‘Prince Charles’..also new:
Photobucket
Another new one, C. viola:
Photobucket
This is the back of viola:
Photobucket
Another new one, C. ‘General Sirkosky’…spelling?:
Photobucket
C. ..ah…I forgot which this one is:
Photobucket

C. ‘Marie Biosselot’. I initially grew this on the fence and added a couple stakes so tall that I could not see the blossoms. One summer I kept wondering why she was not blooming. And there she was a couple feet over my head. I have since lowered the entenders:
Photobucket

C. ‘Comtesse de Bouchaud’ or ‘Bouchard’ I am not sure which is the correct name:

Photobucket

o
More??

A couple Rudbeckia hirta and Echinacea purpura at the base of the C. jackmanii:

Photobucket

These grow at the base of the fence at the feet of the Clematis and between the Clematis.
Lily ‘King Pete’ – a very short Asiatic lily…might be in the pixie series:
Photobucket

Geranium lancastriense and Campanula Poscharskyana from Bluestone:
Photobucket

A no-name Lilium longiflorum…very fragrant and very tall….must be at least 7 ft tall. My neighbor gave me a couple bulbs many years ago.
Photobucket
Lilium ‘Silk Road’:
Photobucket

Rose ‘Tiffany’ and Allium cristophpii between C. Huldine and ‘Prince Charles’.
I love Allium cristophii next to Lamb’s Ear. I truly love this combination:
Photobucket

This Iris ensata can grow from seeds too. This one is in the corner in the backyard:

Photobucket

These are in the front yard. Lamb’s Ear (grow easily from seeds), Allium cristophii, Barberis ‘Bonanza Gold’:
Photobucket
Lilium ‘Regale Album’:
Photobucket
Hydrangea arborscens ‘Annabelle’(native of Illinois-very easy going and easily grown from cuttings), Hosta ‘Sum and Substance’ & Variegated Solomon’s Seal:
Photobucket

Hope you will fill your gardens as full as I do. :-)

o
Some more :-P

I love this Lamium maculatum. It’s very pretty in the shade. I grow it around my Hosta:

Photobucket

I grow this annual forget me not everywhere. It reseeds very well too:
Photobucket

Another reason I love Allium cristophii:
Photobucket

o

Piti,

Your garden is spectacular! Love the red bee balm and the Allium. I am also going to grow a few varieties of the feverfew and some Penny blacks. I also have some Penny Black seeds I would gladly send to you,if you would like them.

Amy

o

OMG, I feel like I'm walking through an indoor garden display.

The pics make me think to myself, "I want one of those and one of those and one of those..." as I do when going through catalogues!

What amazing displays...all your work sure has paid off really big time. I love the packed gardens. They're like a feast for all the senses.

A huge thank you for sharing your GORGEOUS garden world, piti.

o

Stop it, you're killing me here. Just gorgeous.

The Allium cristophii, I'm assuming those are the puffy balls? I've never seen those before. Do they grow from seeds or bulbs?

o

These are sure some nice pictures. I hope do as well.
I have milk jugs all over the yard, everyone thinks
I'm crazy. I guess I got hooked by the newbie hook.
Jim

o

Ok, I am drooling over your beautiful garden! I only have 40 containers sown so far, I better get busy!

o

Beautiful! Just beautiful! I love the photo with the hydrangea and the solomon's seal. And I LOVE how packed your gardens are. Stunning.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 10:49

Those are gorgeous!

o

Your pics are beautiful! I received some Feverfew semi double seeds from you in a newbies swap a couple of years ago, and they are one of my fav.s! I love your other feverfew as well! Thank you for sharing these photos!! Makes me excited for spring!!

Karen

o

Your garden is truely beautiful Pit,what a feast for sore eyes.
I have sowen many of the plants you pictured,all from every one here,i sure do hope over time,mine will be as pretty.
My all time favorite is the Prairie Smoke,can it be ordered from seed?I will have to look into this one for sure.
Have you WSed this year?Where will you put any more?:0)
And, what have you sowed so far?
Thank you for a nice walk through your garden,now i am really wanting spring.
Spectacular Display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cAROL

o

Thanks great show!! Spring Fever for sure! Beautiful love the clematis!
Annette

o

ohh those are just GORGEOUS pics!!! You tend your flowers well hon. They are so happy :)

~Wendy

o

OML!!! Pit...I'm so inspired and anxious to TRY to accomplish something similar. Now when I think I have enough containers out there...I'll remember your yard and be inspired! Thanks for the lovely journey through your yard. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Heavenly!

o

Wow. I've never in my life seen the 'Prairie Smoke', but I just wrote it on my Wish List. Thanks for the show!

o

I'm sold! Thanks for sharing your awesome gardens! I'm a newbie with WS and know I'm starting late but gettin' on it today!

o

Oh, yeah, I love Clematis. I have at least 30 in my tiny garden. Some are in triplicate. Some are very easy to propagate from layering. This is another favorite. I planted this one right by my side door so I can enjoy the fragrance whenever I go in and out of the house. C. ‘Betty Corning’:

Photobucket

I love the front yard too, mayblooms. Unfortunately we lost the tree from the street. Now the hostas would fry by July.
This is the front yard from another angle. The hostas are now way bigger than in the photo:
Photobucket

I am sowing only some annuals these days. Lol. You are right; I have no more room to add much any more. I have sown only Fritillaria meleagris…just to see if it will germinate or not. I want to sow Petunia, Lobelia, Marigold, and veggies this year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Those Prairie Smoke were winter sown a couple years ago, Carol. Didn’t I send you any seeds in the newbie pack? I can send you some. Send me your address again. I was very disorganized this year and did not record any one’s address. You’ll have to ask very nicely, lol. I don’t normally send Prairie Smoke seeds to anyone without asking. Lol.

Token, yes, the puffy one is Allium cristohpii or albopilosum. I love that Allium. I keep the seed heads all season long and let the wind blow them away in the fall. A. cristophii does reseed but I am too impatient to wait for them to grow. I usually added new bulbs every year until the year before last. I’ll see how many I have left this year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do like to stuff my gardens. Yours will be full too if you plant things my way. Every single inch in my garden is literally planted 2-3 times. For instance, I space perennials and shrubs very carefully. But then in between, I would plant bulbs, a large bulb, a medium bulb then a mini bulbs all in the same hole. After that I plant a ground cover such as Lamium between those perennials then scatter leftover annual seeds everywhere. I absolutely cannot stand bare soil in my garden. :-)

The garden looks very happy because I pile in shredded leaves every fall. A few times a year, from spring on whenever I have a chance, I will go haul horse manure and spread it all over. I also make compost in plastic garbage cans. I have tons of big fat worms in my garden.

If you start from scratch or nearly from scratch or still have room, think of planting shrubs for structure and height. Then fill the rest with annuals and perennials. Do not clean up your garden in the fall. Leave some seed heads for winter interest. I also have several miniature evergreens and some shrubs with beautiful stems/twigs to look at in winter. My garden is never boring and I love it that way.

Happy Winter Sowing, folks.

o

• Posted by paradisa Zone 5 NY Adirondack (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 19:58

Your gardens are absolutely beautifull!
As a newbie I am definately inspired.
I love all the different colors, textures, and heights of your flowers.
Breathtaking. I can't imagine all the hours...
Gives me something to aim for.
I have started winter sowing, yesterday, everyone thinks I'm bonkers- never heard of such a thing- think I'm wasting my time. Wait till spring - I'll show them!
I love your prarie smoke - what a pretty flower sort of looks like a columbine but not. Your Iris ensata is gorgeous too - what a lovely shade of blue! And your clematises are to die for - so many blooms at once!
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Happy gardening!
Paradisa

o

All the pics are beautiful! It makes me want spring to arrive sooner! I just started winter sowing and so far, I have morning glory, malva, strawberries and penny black. Your penny black picture is beautiful btw! :)
Brigitte

o

Hi Pit,I sent you an e mail.

No newbie pack from you or any one else,do you mean the trade from Patty?No seed there either,could be a different Carol?
cAROL

o

What a great photo tour of your garden. You certainly have a fabulous collection of plants!
I love everything you grow...especially your collection of clematis.

o

pitimpinai,

Thompson and Morgan has the penny black seeds for you. 280 seeds for $2.95

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/2880.html

Fran

o

I can't stop looking at your pictures everyday! They are all so lovely! :)

o

You pulled me in this summer with those pics. Now I'm up to my ears in containers. :)

o

Thanks, everyone.

ForestGirl, I love your jugs. You are way ahead of me. I have just moved my rack to the patio this eveing. I plan to place my containers on the rack, so I don't have to bend down to check my sprouts. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To everyone who has sown a gazillion seeds, you MUST prepare your beds now. If you wait, you won’t have them ready by the time those seedlings are ready for transplanting. And make sure make the beds 3 times larger than you think you’ll need.
Tosser, email me for Prairie Smoke seeds.
Fran, thanks for the info re Penny Black on TM. I hate that company. The seeds don’t germinate well. I am also too cheap to order anymore. :-P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a favorite WS combination of mine – Lobelia ‘Blue Cascade’ and Marigold ‘Lemmon Gem’:

Photobucket

The green and white plants are native annuals – Snow on the Mountain – Euphorbia marginata:
South front

People seem to hate Yucca, but I love mine. I find the color, form and texture very striking. It is evergreen too, so it gives a nice touch to the garden in winter as well. I grow mine right where my front walk way meets the side walk…..a prominent display year round. It can be winter sown:
Favorite Yucca - Gotta love those curls.

o

Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 20:11

You can't kill those yucca, either! I WSed them in 2004; they stayed in their seeding container - a 16-oz. plastic cup - for 2 whole years, very, very, very neglected! Finally transplanted them to a 2-gallon pot in 2006, where they still live today! I'm gonna have to cut that pot off them!

Love that Snow on the Mountain - got seeds around here somewhere.

PV

o

When I think of yucca, I think of desert climates. I think of tall langly things with a poonch of spikes at the top of these ugly brown sticks. I love the way yours works in the garden. Do you ever cut it back?

o

Ack! Pitim - just now saw your kind offer for the Prairie Smoke (came back to see if you'd posted more pix). I ordered some from Prairie Moon less than an hour ago! I haven't been able to get those beauties out of my head. Thank you so much for the offer!

I love yucca, too, and don't have any at this house, so I ordered some of them, as well. I miss my gnarly yucca - they were always so reliable and polite. "...ugly brown sticks"!?! ttthhhpppptt!

o

Token, I only trim down the Yucca if the blades get freeze burn or after the seed pods turn ugly. This kind has soft blades and the tip is not terribly sharp. This is what I have next to the Yucca. Colchicum …forgot the variety name:
Colchicum
Photobucket
This C. jackmanii was grown from layering. The one above was actually a seedling of another C. jackmanii and that could possibly have cross-pollinated with another one. That’s why the color is lighter than the one grown as plant.

A no-name Aster:
NOID Aster novibelgii - Pretty just the same.

Something for winter interest. My son said it looks diseased. J
Betula nigra ‘Little King’

Photobucket

In spring I have a lot of bulbs in bloom, because there must be a couple thousand among those perennials and shrubs:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I cannot tell you how much i enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading about your yard and plants. I remember you from a couple of years ago and you were explaining to me how I can compost by tucking leftover veggies right into the garden between plants. I've been doing it and my soil is so rich with earthworms. I save all my veggie scraps and banana peels, etc..

You are such an inspiration. I look at your gardens and flowers and this this is what my passion is, growing and looking at flowers and plants.

Will you pls tell me how you layer the clematis. I have about 20 but 3 or 4 of my favorites i would love to layer.

thanks
Maureen
p.s. great camera and photography

o

Oh, i forgot to ask you about Tiffany rose. I have this rose. I'm getting rid of all my roses that need to be sprayed, do you have to spray your rose for blackspot?

I love Tiffany and would hate to part with it. I've grown it from a tiny small rooted cutting.

thanks

o

Wow, I have to get me some of that Prairie Smoke. My husband does not like flowers but likes plants that are interesting and spur conversation and that is one incredible conversation if I have even seen one even though it is pink. I found out the plant grows wild in Saskatchewan in Canada. Now I know why God made Saskatchewan so flat and that is so we could enjoy these low growing beauties. I will be looking for some seed or plants for sure. Pictures are amazing... keep posting.

o

don't want this beauty falling off the first page:-)

o

Hi Maureen,
Yes, I call that compost method composting in situ. lol. It's the easiest way to compost.

No, I don't spray my rose for black spots. Haven't done that for many years. If they get any, so be it. I just clean up the fallen leaves afterwards.

Tiffany seems very resistant to black spots, though. I would pour water that I use in rinsing milk jugs over the rose bushes whenever I remember to do so. That's as much fuss as I want to do with roses. My Tiffany was grown from cuttings too. When the humidity is right, the fragrance is intoxicating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have had success layering C. jackmanii and Etoile Violette. I think all the vitticella will be easy to layer. I have not had luck with Niobe or Ramona. I have not tried others yet. Do you know that you can’t really kill Clematis that easily? I moved my Ramona a couple times. Each time I would leave something behind and it would grow!
Layering is a very easy propagation method for a lot of plants. I just scrape off the bark and expose the cambium (The green growth layer just next to the bark.) injuring it a bit. If you are not sure where it is, just scrape off the bark to expose the woody stem. With Clematis it’s not that easy to figure out where the cambium is, so I just use a very sharp knife to cut off half of stem lengthwise without severing the stem from the mother plant. I then paint the injured part with rooting hormone. Cover that stem with soil and use a brick to hold it down to the ground. Keep the area moist. Check the stem 3 months later. Usually you should see a few roots growing already. With Clematis, I usually wait until the next season to sever it from the mother plant so I can get a good root system. This method is called ground layering.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For stems that you cannot bend to the ground, air layering is a good way to propagate.
I do that a lot with my Red Twig Dogwoods when I run out of lower stems. All you need to do is peeling off the bark to expose the cambium/woody part, paint the exposed area with rooting hormone (actually it’s not necessary), cover it with potting soil, wrap some moss around the soil, then wrap a piece of clear plastic sheet over it….just like a big fat & chubby sausage. I use a piece of nylon to tie the top and bottom. This way I can just pull off the top and inject some water into the wrap once in a while to keep the soil moist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anisten, I saw Prairie Smoke for the first time in Montana. So I am sure it must be all over the Great Plains. It really is a striking native.
Thanks for the compliments.

o
Fillers

Some favorite fillers:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

pitimpinai - thank you so much for all the information i asked for. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try layering some of my clematis this year. I love clematis, so much. I have Etoile Violette and will try layering it this year and see how it goes. Do you grow India Star? It is a beauty and i love it very much. I have it growing throughout a tall bush and some shrubs. By the way, do you replant tulips each year? Your pics of tulips are so pretty. My tulips are starting to pop out of the ground!!!! Yippee!!!!!!!

o

Beautiful, just beautiful! Thanks for the hope of Spring on a cold Winter's day. I think the Prarie Smoke is one of the most striking plants I have ever seen!

o

• Posted by phyl345 chicagoland z5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 14:23

hi piti!! ~~ i haven't been here for awhile; but i am LOVING catching up on all your beautiful flowers ~~ and i can vouch & attest to their beauty cuz i had the great honor of seeing them for myself!!

two years ago piti sent me a very generous envelope of lots of wonderful seeds for my first yr. of w.s.ing ~~ BUT then last spring i got REALLY lucky ~~

i live in the burbs & my daughter & i were going to a play in the city ~~ so we stopped at piti's on our way ~~ her gardens are awe-inspiring ~~ she loaded my car up with lots of great stuff (all of which survived beautifully)

piti, THANK YOU again! phyl

p.s. ~~ piti irl is just as delightful as she appears here!

o

Ok, I'm a newbie, and I'm hooked! I just moved here last fall and am building raised beds in the back yard...very rocky and compacted soil here.

Tomorrow I will be going thru my recycle bin and making flats!!!
The ice storm sent hundreds of limbs into my yard...we have been sawing and dragging them for days now. Can't wait to get the raised beds set up...
Nana4

o

Glad to oblige, Maureen. Have fun wxperimenting in your garden.
No, I don't have C. Star of India. Just googled it. What a gorgeous clematis. I wish I had room for more. :-P I normally replant tulips every other year. I also chose those that don't all come up at the same time, but these past few years, global warming has been wreaking havoc on my spring flowering bulbs. Everything all came up at once then got scorched. I may not add anymore bulbs.

Those in the pictures were planted right under the Monarda in the very first picture on this thread. See what I meant when I said I planted every inch 2-3 times? I love huge and fragrant tulips.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With so many comments, it looks like Prairie Smoke is the winner here. :-) Hooray to a native. :-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Phyl, Glad to see you post again. And many thanks to the very kind words. Would you like some more plants?? :-P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is my favorite Wsown annual. Petunia ‘Laura Bush’ and her progress through the season. I finally looked up the date to go with each picture:
June 16, ~2 ˝ weeks after planting from some very tiny Wsown seedlings:
Photobucket

June 24:
Photobucket

June 27:
Photobucket

July 4:
Photobucket

This is what the bed looked like on July 4. This bed is in my next door neighbor’s backyard:
Photobucket

July 14:
Photobucket

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 4:45

Got up early and started looking at posts and HOLY MOLY! I love the pictures! Thank you so much. It is a burst of inspriation in this crappy winter.

We have had yet another wind storm and apparently I am one of the few who didn't put light weight stuff out on trash day, but everyone's crap is in my landscaping for days now. I went out to pick it up and the cutting cold wind sent me right back in. The trash is still out there....then we had a wintry mix of rain. Arugh.

o

Pitimpi,
What is the taller, very dark red flower standing above the petunias in that bed? It's gorgeous!

Martha

o

Hi bakemom. A compliment from you is an honor indeed. :-)Thanks.
I feel your pain. We had a big thaw a week and a half ago. All the snow that had accumulated disappeared. Then Thurs and Fri several inches came down again. Now I have a foot of snow in my back yard...again..... Yesterday the wind was so high it looked like a blizzard.

I really need to start sowing my favorites today, because the snow may thaw by the end of the week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, docmom. The dark red flower in the middle of the perunia bed is Dahlia ‘Karma Naomi’. She is really a beauty in the garden, but exceptionally dark in a bouquet. Would you like a tuber? I think I have several in storage. Email me in March when I check them and start potting them up. Here’s K. Naomi up close. The digital photo made her much redder than in real life. She is a great bloomer too, long stem. Great for cutting:
Photobucket

This is my one of ‘Bishop’s Children’ dahlias from WSowing. Too bad the saved tubers didn’t make it. The bees absolutely adore them:
Photobucket

o

Wow your garden is spectacular, there is definately hope for me. Would you be willing to share some red bee balm and Rudbeckia hirta for postage or I have double white marigold seed, african daisy and black pearl peppers to swap if you would like.

o

Geez-Louise, Pit!!!!
If that isn't enabling, I don't know what is!!!
(I've got my fingers crossed that this will be my best gardening year ever :-) I want to have pictures like yours (time for the new camera...)

Linda

o

Oh my gosh, your photos are glorious! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't imagine ever being that good a gardener, or nearly so knowlegable. I'm sort of an accidental gardener. :o)

o

I'm drooling! I wish it's late March or April now! :D

o

natflo, Sure re Beebalm. Rudbeckia hirta will probably not be there, because it does not live long for me. I have to replant it every year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, lblack & oceanna. Gardening is a hands-on experience...and all trials & errors. Mother nature plays the biggest part, actually. The same plants will yield different results if planted in different climates.

lblack, would you like a camera like this one? :-)
Photobucket

I am still learning to use it. lol. And this thing is much too heavy for me. I really bit off more than I can chew.
Most of the pictures above were taken with my old point & shoot, though. Only a few come from this camera.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
v1rtu0s1ty, you make sure to make several flower beds before March/April, you hear? :-D

o

Ooooo...Pit...I just might.
DH misses his old time SLR, so I've been telling him about the new digital SLRs. We've been looking at cameras (half-leisurely, half-seriously) for over a year. He says he just wants a point-and-shoot, but I'm thinking he won't be happy until he gets a digital SLR.

So other than being heavy, how do you like it?

Linda

o

pitimpinai I am drooling over those lovely flowers you have posted. Monarda is just eye candy. Thank you for sharing all your efforts.

ML

o

Linda, I love that camera. It takes some mean pictures. :-)
I have 4 different lenses. I think your husband will love it..unless he is partial to Nikon.

Thanks, ML.

o

you have this newbie's attention. the pictures are beautiful.

I have been lurking here but have not wintersowed yet.

Karen

o

I had to come back again and look at all these pics. Needed my fix for the day. It's chilly here in NY today..brrr...
Have a great day everyone.

o

pitimpinai ,
You have an awe inspiring garden.
I love your monarda. Is that Queen Anne's lace or
something else I see in one of your pictures?

I also love the Birch. I think the ones I planted
Heritage, are cousins.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures on such a
windy dreary day.

Mary

o

Maybe I missed it because of looking at the pics, but what are you shooting with? Great shots! Santa was very good to me & I'm trying to transition from film to digital SLR

o

Thanks, everyone.
The pale blue Iris is a Japanese Iris (Iris ensata).

jessew,
Most of the pictures were taken with an old model of Panasonic Lumix.
The mean looking ones were shot with a Canon 40D.
Think carefully before you buy one. I love mine, but it is very heavy. I cannot handle it without a tripod, if I want decent pictures. Also, the lenses will put you in a poor house....if you become addicted. :-)

o

Such beautiful flowers and wonderful combinations of colors!! I've gone through all the photos over and over. Each time they just seem more lovely. Thank you so much, Piti!!

o

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I hadn't come across it yet. Wow, what a fabulous, inspiring garden. I'm only on my second season of gardening this year (and first season WSing), but I'm looking forward to having something akin to this in 10-20 years or so...

o

Piti,

I think I've come back to this thread 10 times in the last few days. Each time I learn something new.

And I -love- my digital Rebel camera. Anyone that is thinking of going for a serious camera purchase, check out slickdeals.com and check it frequently, there is a photo forum. I bought my camera with a lens for around $250. Yes, $250. I'm serious about my bargains, been on a tight budget for a -looong- time.

o
Bargain site-cameras

Here's a thread to 'favorite' if you're interested in cameras. Generally, it's slickdeals.com, then go to forums, then to hot deals, then to photos. Here's a link http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=226074&f=9&sort=lastpost&order=desc&icon=38 and it looks like they have a Nikon D40 for $350 right now listed for $350. Make sure whatever you go for that you check ratings on it (amazon is a good resource for this).

:)

o

piti, your flowers are absolutely stunning. Has all of this been achieved by wintersowing? I am going to try it this winter. I have been saving seeds and milk jugs to get ready.
Tammy

o

Piti,

I'm glad to see this thread back, I love looking at your pictures!

I have some commercial penny black seeds if you need some more.

Lisa

o

I just looked at this again and I still can't get over how beautiful it is. There is so much inspiration here for any gardener who is thinking about winter sowing. Newbie, you could be looking at your future. GO FOR IT!!!

o

This page just makes my "wish list" get longer and longer,lol. Piti you mentioned composting insitu. How do you do this? I just started a small compost pile about a month ago,throwing in grass clippings and kitchen scraps.
Tammy

o

I am surprised to see this thread again. :-)
There are newer pictures that I posted in early July, you know. :-D

Anyway, I can use more penny black seeds, ishareflowers, thanks. I'll send you seeds for trade later when I am well.

Tammy, a lot of those plants were Winter Sown.
Re: Composting in situ: if the weeds that I pull or flower clippings are not very large, I just bury them next to the plants or in any empty spot in the garden. lol

When I plant bulbs, I dig a hole, put a handful of dry leaves at the bottom, add soil, bulb, soil, another handful of dry leaves and soil. lol.

I have been doing this for many years. My garden beds are very loamy and rich with nutrients and earthworms. :-)

My garden beds are

o

Piti,

drop me a line with your addy and I'll send out all that I have of the penny black seeds. I'm not so worried about a trade! I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa

o

Piti,

I mailed your penny black seeds today. I also threw in some 5 spot and blue pimpernel because they are really cute too. Enjoy!

Lisa

o

Wonderful. Thanks much, Lisa.
Will send you something later.
Thanks again.

Cheers.

o

Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 11:34

I NEVER, EVER get tired of seeing these pics! Thanks, pit, for a wonderful lift on a dreary, rainy day!

PV

o

More of pitimpinai's beautiful photos on this more recent thread interspersed with many other posters' photos & comments.

There's just too much to comment on right now, lucky you people, but it is an inspiration to all winter sower's. It's especially inspirational to me because I discovered Prairie Smoke out of it and WS'ed some and also what can be done with a small lot.

It doesn't looked planned or crammed. Just is. Beautiful!!!

I wish piti would or could repost all her photos from the linked thread or somehow incorporate both threads into one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feb 2010 thread - Why so many? - Much input by pitimpinai

o

WOW........I am speechless ...that is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

o

I was pulled in and totally addicted about 30 minutes after I found this forum.

You all have such a wide variety of plants and set the bar so high.

What’s a newbie to do ? Sigh…..

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 17:46

I also want to add Prairie Smoke next season from her posts. I just fell in love with the flowers. now I need to look for seeds :)

I never get tired of these pics they are so nice!!

Karen

o

Karen, Prairie Moon Nursery. Somebody else found it and posted a link. Got 3 pkts of Prairie Smoke just for ins, think I held back one pkt of that. Found some other ones to try, sowed them all except 1/2 pkt of something. Very fast shipping and reasonable prices.

Odd I also have a Baptisia called Prairie Smoke. Gotta watch those names.

No, I need to keep looking at those photos for inspiration. Always see something new and different in them. Many I'm familiar with, but there are so many I never knew about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon Nursery, Winona, MN

o

Hi, I'm new here, a first time winter sower; your flowers are simply gorgeous! Really an inspiration to me. I have about 20 containers and 12 flats in my backyard; started in January, and just finished (I think) today. The way I look at it, is, winter sowing can't possibly be as frustrating as the "indoor heatmat and grow lights" sowing that I've been attempting for the past 5 years! I've already gained much good advice from this forum, Thanks, everyone!! One thing: I covered everything with saran wrap and poked holes in the top of it. We had a warm spell this past week and I took the saran wrap off. Was this too soon? The only sprouts I have are the red clover, and what I think is the verbascum (forgot to label it!). We are getting alot of rain, but all the pots and containers are draining well. Should I cover everything again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Shirley

o

Hi Pitimpinai,
I just wanted you to know that looking at your flowers gives me rapid heart beats!!!!!
Also I purchased the prarie smoke seeds I had asked about in a previous post from Prarie Moon nursery!!! I am so excited about starting them, thought I would ws some and start some in my little greenhouse.(Got 3 pkgs) I just loved yours!!!! Thanks for the beautiful pictures, especially on such a rainy, gloomy day!!!

o

THANK YOU!! Just discovered that mice have chewed the bark off several apple trees planted last spring...4 feet off the ground. That's how much snow we have had. The 2 y.o. blueberies are crushed and one tree peonie has been crushed by feet of melting snow. Your pictures were just what I needed!!! I never have enough color- your gardens take my breath away!!!

o

composting in situ..can you explain what that is and how it is done?

Folks, did you notice that Piti doesn't have any lawn to mow? There's not an inch bare for grass to grow. Have you ever submitted any of your pictures of your gardens to any gardening magazines like BH&G or Fine Gardening or GardenGate or Birds&Blooms? You really should consider it. they are worth it!

This is what I'd like mine to look like..how do you manage to plant things so they kind of run into each other but look so beautiful. Weeds wouldn't have the nerve to grow there in your garden. Absolutely breaktaking! Thanks for sharing with us. Love that pink monarda too! That Convulvulus ensign series..which is a mini morning glory, right? Can that be grown in a outdoor container? Guess it needs something to climb on? Got to have Kobold liatris. Somebody sent me Blazing Star liatris and I planted that. That Prairie Smoke..oh my, is she a beauty! Hard to grow?

When you try layering clematis..how do you go about separating the new rooted one from the original clematis? Suppose when you layer it and it takes roots, can those new roots/plant be transplanted somewhere else?

o

Ahhh....what sight to wake up to on these dreary days. :-)
Thanks, PV, for bringing this back.
And thanks, everyone for the kind words.

Lisa, I forgot to send you seeds........:-(

We had snow on the ground until last Wednesday. And guess what I found hidden under that snow all along?
This:
Photobucket

I also have Snowsdrops in bloom too. I meant to get out there and take more photos but it's been raining and windy and cold...bummer

Prairie Smoke - Geum triflorum - is the most sought after plant, it seems. It is the most striking flower I have come across.
True to its nature, it truly is an easy plant to grow. I guess being a native to the prairie, it has to withstand all kinds of harsh and extreme swing of weather. I first time I saw them they were growing wild in the expanse of Montana.

Molly, that you see today is the result of a 22 year experiment. It has evolved over the years - through a lot of change, a lot of trial and error.

I never really have a plan, just some nebulous picture in my mind. I started out with an almost empty lot like almost everybody else, planting whatever struck my fancy, things for nostalgia first off. Then things to bridge the gaps in the garden, then fragrance, then colors, textures, height & form.

As new gardeners, I would like to suggest that you plant some shrubs as backbone/structure then fill in the gaps with perennials and annuals.

Keep in mind that mixed structures and forms looks better than a sentinel. Don't always put plant of the same height together, because they won't stand out. Vary the heights. Put something tall in front, in the middle and in the back. Look at garden pictures. Visit gardens, then visualize what you like and use it as your guide.

o
RE: Something for newbies :-)

How did I fill every nook and cranny? I sorta plan and planted perennials with specific spacing. Then fill in the gaps with bulbs and annuals. I also scatter left over seeds everywhere for good measure. :-D

It is great that we have the internet nowadays. You got a lot of people as a springboard.

sjc48, put the saran wrap or plastic sheet back on. You don't remove the covering completely until the seedlings have grown enough. What you should do is widening the venting holes little by little to ease the seedlings to the elements and to gradually release the condensation and heat. We may still have heavy rain or snow or frost.

o
Composting in situ

It is composting in place, pippi. I just bury any weeds or scraps or leaves as I go about in the garden. When I plant anything, especially bulbs, I dig a hole, stuff a hand full of dray leaves, a fist full of soil, add a bulb, cover with some soil, more leaves, more soil, another smaller bulb, more soil, more leaves, more soil and so on.

Yes, Convulvulus is a Morning glory. It does not need anything to climb on, because it is not a vine. It's barely a foot tall and grows well in containers.

I layer Clematis about a foot away from the mother plant, so it is not a problem to dig it out to replant elsewhere. It definitely can be planted somewhere else.

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 12:32

aliska, thanks for the link. I will have to sneak and buy some when hubby is not looking. I am trying to picture where I would put them too...

pitimpinai, I do love the pics. What is the yellow flower you just posted that was under the snow? It is so neat!

I plan to add Prairie Smoke - Geum triflorum next season. It is such a neat plant. You have gotten me interested in so many different flowers!

Karen

o

The little yellow flower is Eranthis hyemalis. It is only 4" tall. Love it. Reseeds quite well too. I hoe to have a swatch of it some day.

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 23:51

Piti, your gardens are absolutely mind blowing. I have gone through these pictures twice today and am sure I will be looking at them again and again. Thank you so much for sharing.

o

Shirley,
welcome to the forum.
Believe me -this is tons easier and more productive than the "mat and heat and light indoor set-up".

Re the covers of your containers - I also do like Pipi and gradually enlarge the holes to give them more air and get them used to unprotected environment.
If they are hardy to the cold tho, I just remove the top after a few days and let them go.

What have you sown?

ellen

o

This needs a bump into 2011.... Piti, your gardens are gorgeous. You never divulged what the feverfew varieties are. I think they are gorgeous. Feverfew is now on my radar (OCD List)... I also loved that Rudbeckia hirta but have not been able to find anything with that name. Thank you so much for sharing your garden.

o

BUMP

o

Everything is so amazing! I love it!

o

I checked out this post last night before I went to bed. Well I had dreams about that monarda!!

Pitimpinai, wonderful pictures, absolutely wonderful, I did have to jot down a few names of these flowers to add to my want list, cause they are just beautiful!!

I am with buturfliis mom, no one ever named the feverfew types. That first fever few is wonderful!! Though all of them are gorgeous. I have some seeds over here of some feverfew and I wasn't planning on wsing it yet, but after seeing these pictures I was ready at midnight to so a container full. LOL

o

Pitimpinai what is the name of the tufty purple flower? (I tried to find it in this post but I think I got lost...)

I am squeeing like crazy over here looking at all these photos! I totally forgot about beebalm. I didn't collect seeds from my last plants, but I'll have to find some in the store. It's one of my favorites!

o

WS Newbie here.......those are beautiful. Does anyone have pictures of their garden in March/April with WS flowers? I would like to see the progress from planting to late summer

Christy

o

pitimpinai,

Your garden is beautiful! It is not small! I love the combinations of each flower. Truly Inspiring!

Your right I'm going to have to have some soil hauled in.

Thank You for the beautiful pictures!

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 23:08

Sammy, the tufty purple that is the main focus of her second photo in her first post to the thread....liatris.

o

Hi Everybody!
I was kinda surprised when I received a couple emails. And voila! This thread must have started them!

Thanks for the compliments. I miss my garden too. Right now it is under 5 - 6 ft. of snow. Those of you who live nearby may come by this spring. March - April is a good time. I will dig up as many plants as I can for you. I need to thin practically every thing out. It has overgrown because I was too ill to take care of it.
I also want to clear a patch to make room for vegetables.

I may mail plants for whoever asks me nicely too... for postage. I have done that for years, but I'm kinda tired right now. I am not a spring chick anymore and I have not been at top form in recent years.

I only have a name for the 5th feverfew. The rest were just grown, reseeded & cross-pollinated in the garden.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 10:18

Feverfew has a way of doing that, naughty little thing isn't it - gets around :)

Your photos were a nice diversion for all of us, but - Please take care of yourself in all the snow. 'Phil' says spring may be early. I don't know how people manage just daily life with snow to that depth.

My mother said on the second which was a rare sunny day for us - Sigh, 'the groundhog would have a shadow to see', clearly very disappointed. I pointed out we don't have groundhogs here and the one that counts did not see a shadow :)

o

thanks morz8! I just looked that up and found out it's also called "gayfeather" which is great because just yesterday I ordered some of those seeds!

o

wow! amazing photos and great info. i am curious about you bulb planting method of putting multiple sized bulbs in one hole. how often do you divide them?

i'm so excited to be winter sowing this year!

o

yay i am so glad to have found you again... i hope you are well. what is the fifth feverfew name? i will get it out of you!!! lol

o

Feverfew 'Tetra White' I bought seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds long ago. :-)

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co. IN (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 17:02

I am so glad that this thread got bumped to bring it up now. Its a perfect mood lightener on a gray winter day and I think all newbies should be encouraged with Piti's beautiful, inspiring photos.

o

OMG, these are gorgeous! U totally inspired this newbie. =) I used to live in Chicago (W. Rogers Park), and was totally impressed the way people would make these tiny garden plots into the most luscious gardens!! But this completely takes the cake. Did you post pics of this years garden?

o

I realize that this is an old post, but still the pictures are amazing! Just looking for some ideas on plants to WS this year.

Pitimpinai, your garden is absolutely beautiful. I grew up in Chicago, near Division/Milwaukee in the West Town area - near the Blue Line! I'll definitely have to try some of the plants you've mentioned including 'Penny black' and sunflower, "baby bear" - so cute.

Happy wintersowing!

Evelyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here