Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

alyssum

bookjunky4life
11 years ago

What is the best place (onine or real store) to purchase large quantities of alyssum? Ebay? I'd also like to get some colors other than white. I usually buy the 10 cent American Seed packets at the agriculture store but they only have white this year. They don't have the purple.

Comments (9)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I've purchased seed on line and had great germination and beautiful plants. I'd do a search online and order ASAP so you can get them in some potting mix. Interestingly, I found the white variety grew three times as large as the purple, and they were side by side in the garden. So, buy extra purple seeds or plan to fertilize them generously.

Martha

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Martha. I will just order some from ebay. I grew the white and a purple variety, both American seed, last year and they grew equally in my grill planter. Not sure how the purple would have done in ground, as I only planted white that way.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

If you haven't cleaned up your planter and discarded the plants you might find seeds on your old plants. hey set lots of seeds. Each year I take the old plants and tap them on the ground where I want the plants the next year. Alyssum self sows well for me. You might have some sprout in your planter this spring if you haven't changed the soil.

• northforker
    11 years ago

I find that I can get at least two years, sometimes 3 on a patch of aylssum.Tthe best reseeding plant in my garden.

You can buy larger quanities of seed at Hazzards and at Johnnys I think. Both should have reasonable prices.I always plant tons of both Alyssum and Nasties along the front edges of many of my garden paths and have gotten Nasties at Hazzards in big bags.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

This is my first year growing them, can I plant them in a full shade area? (next to my Hosta's)

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

I've never tried alyssum in full shade, but it does OK in part shade. Those in full sun bloom much better for me.

There are not only different colors but different cultivars of alyssum. The newer, tetraploids are great, with bigger flowers.

I've been growing Clear Crystal type for several years, and I love them. I bought them from Harris and I'm still using the same bunch of seeds. They're pelletized, and each is a multi-seed pellet which grows it's own little hunk.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: alyssum seeds

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Here, still blooming in September, in horrid heat and drought.

Karen

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

bookjunkie, be careful if you order on ebay. I bought several colors last year, shared them in a swap and none came up! I would order from Hazzards, they are a great seed source.

flowerangel was one of the ebay people that I ordered from and had no germination on any of the seeds.

Lisa

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Thanks Kqcrna! You know I love pictures!

I agree with Ishareflowers, Hazzard Seeds is a wonderful company. If I want a seed that is hard to germinate, I go straight to them. Their seeds come in really good packaging, the kind that you don't have to worry about temp fluctuations. They carry a large variety of everything.