Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be concerned

Posted by wizfan90 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 19:23

Hello,

I am new to the winter sowing experience and have about 20-30 plastic containers sitting outdoors. I look outside today and my Lupines and delphinium sprouted. It's supposed to snow over the weekend. I live in the DC metro area and was wondering if I should be concerned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be concerned

You could throw a blanket over them for additional protection.

o

Snow is a good insulator. You should be fine.

o

Thank you both for your replies

o

The Lupines will be okay, they are very hardy and can tolerate a hard frost. When I sow them they are always among the first seeds to sprout.

Not sure about Delphs.

o

The situations of most concerns in Winter Sowing, are killer frosts, If it''s hot outside, open up the containers and slugs. Put sluggo or some kind of slug bait down. They can wreck havoc on your seedlings.

o

Now, my garland daisies are sprouting lol.

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 20:40

If this is you're first year of WSing, then you must CELEBRATE your seed germination, not worry about them!!!! If you were going to get a prolnged period of deep cold (like in January), maybe then be worried about sprouts. But we are headed into March, your perennial sprouts in covered jugs should be fine.

o

thanks for the advice nan. Less worrying and more celebrating! *Pops Champagne*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here