Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

I hope you understand...

trudi_d
15 years ago

As of March 1st, 2009 any SASE that I fill will have to include a printout of that SASE address page at WinterSown.Org.

Too many people have taken advantage of my generosity and published the Six Pack SASE address on websites or shared it through list-serves; the Your Choice Tomato SASE list is also circulating through emails, which is a shame because the offenders don't update the list and I have to deal with lists that are several months old and many of the varieties long exhausted--I'm the one who has to make apologies and send substitutes.

The problem is that people are just raiding my non-profit for free seeds without bothering to discuss or share info about Winter Sowing, which is why I started the Seeds for SASE programs; originally I had to give people seeds to get them to try it. Though Winter Sowing is now widely accepted and recognized by the USDA as a method I still continue to share seeds.

The address pages at WinterSown.Org have a neat little calendar application that shows the current date. If the printout calendar date is more than a week older than the USPS cancellation date on the letter the SASE is mailed in then the SASE is invalid, or if no printout arrives the SASE is also invalid. The instructions are clearly stated on the website.

I hope you understand, but the hemorrhaging has to end. I will still continue to share seeds but now a visit to WinterSown.Org and the dated address printout are required.

T

Comments (42)

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I totally understand. I hope the Newbie Seed Project hasn't contributed to your woes. It's my understanding that the Main Exchange is having problems with asking for free seeds rather than responding to SASBE offers.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think what you're doing is wonderful. And in no way does it effect what happening at WinterSown.Org...if anything you're making new Winter Sowers, which is wonderful!

T

• irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

Your a gem, of course we understand. What a shame that some people have to take advantage.

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Do you need donations Trudi?

ML

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Trudi:

I didn't realize that people were copying and pasting your address! If you recall, I made up a brochure about wintersowing a year or so ago--and what I did was direct them to your site. I figured that would get them to the main source for information, and if they got free seeds to try, so much the better! And if you stopped offering seeds, then there was no address to see. It's a shame that other people did not think it through that much.

I recently went to your site to see your brochure, and I saw the quiz on wintersowing that a person has to pass in order to get the seeds. I thought that was a great idea! I didn't do all that well on the quiz, either--since it was 2005 when I read your whole site!

I hope the "bleeding" slows and stops. If you haven't thought of it, perhaps you can put your SASE address in quotes, and use Google to track down any postings of it, and hopefully get it removed or add a post changing the offer. Good luck!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Trudi, what a shame you are being taken advantage of. If only FAIR was as important to people as FREE. And how clever of you to find a way to slow the problem...the date page printout. Good girl!

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ML, and everyone else who wants to share their extras, Bless you!

I can use whatever you want to send. My seeds seem to go out in almost equal amounts between SASE requests and less often but bigger bulk requests from non-profits. Last month I sent seeds down to Talladega Extension to help them with a community garden project they're enacting to provide gardens for food bank recipients so that they can supplement their table and increase their nutritional intake with food they grow their own. Foodbanks are currently overwhelmed and usually carry starchy foods and canned goods--fresh produce is a rarity; so a salad garden can help with that.

Right now I'm putting together a large donation of tomato packets to go down to Beltsville where a youth education and outreach director will distribute them to youth clubs like 4H, Future Farmers of America and Scouts, tomorrow I'm overnighting seeds up to an extension along the Canadian border for a county wide 4H Sow-In, (I have to overnight them because I had the flu earlier this month and in no way was I sending fluey packed seeds out of the house to anyone--their event is this coming weekend), and after that I have donations for a senior group I'm teaching about heirloom tomatoes, and then there's a conference in Beltsville, MD that I take seed to each year.

SASE increases are up--they do go up each year, but overall I am seeing more requests in the SASEs for veggies only, and requests from non-profits and schools are way up. I had to turn down a university yesterday that wanted acorns (of all things!) for a sow-in next week. If they wanted tomatoes or wildflowers I could have done that but it's a symbolic thing that mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow so acorns it had to be.

I'll paste in the link for the donation info page. I can use anything except invasives--everything has a purpose and can be used.

As a special note, most folks send bulk seeds which I will repack and label into sharable amounts, but pre-packed seeds that are "ready to go" I am in great need of--those usually start going out into SASEs within 24 hours of their arrive here.

Bless you all, I love all my Winter Sowers--you've given me a wonderful and purposeful life. In the beginning the impetus was on teaching the WS method and getting people to accept it, but now the focus has moved to the seeds and what Winter Sowers do with them. Beginners are benefiting from the great amount of knowledge which is shared. More experienced sowers are making backyard habitats for critters, birds or butterflies, some people are doing community beautification or improving the value of their own property, some people are doing work with community gardens. All of this is fabulous. WS is no longer an experiment, it's now a means for accomplishments.

Hugs to all,

T

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown Donations

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Trudi do you need more veggies or flowers? Would last years seed packages un open be ok for donations? I am so guilty of getting as many folks as I can to try winter sowing. Most are young people like under 20. Figure good way for them to learn how to garden with seedlings they grow them selves. Most dont come here but been working with a group.

ML

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I think it makes perfect sense. Asking people to educate themselves about the "freebie" they are going to receive is a very common practice, and I'm glad you found out a way to make it happen.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ML, I can use both please. Partial packs are great too--I usually bundle them together in 3x4 mini-zips as sets of three or four and label them "Seed Curios, Partial Packs and Oddities"...these are great for clubs and classes.

T

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Trudi:
    I don't have extra tomato seeds, but I have extras of others I'm putting aside and plan on sending. Think you are absolutely right to ask people to be conciencious about their use of free seeds for EDUCATIONAL use of winter sowing!

GGG

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

Trudi,
    I well be happy to send ya some seeds, " pre-packed seeds that are "ready to go" I am in great need of" I know the tomatoes are 6 seeds to a pack but I'm not sure about the rest like corn, lettuce, marigolds, hollyhocks, & can I just put them into small hand folded envelopes & hand write the kind on the envelopes? I looked at the donation site, & I didn't see how many to put into the pre-packed seed envies. Sorry if I overlooked it, but I would like to seed ya some seeds & I want to get it right for ya. Winter Sowing has came into my life at a time when I really needed something positive to focus on, I can't thank you enough for that. ") BIG GRINS :)
    lillyjane aka jan ")

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

That's such a shame! Why in the world would anybody do that...? Tsk. Anyways, I really appreciated the free seeds I got from you and others. And I definitely spread the word. (Though few took it up. One of my friends sowed indoors in jugs and put them outside after they had sprouted *headsmack*). Your idea though is a good one.

Now if only people will follow directions...

• token28001
    15 years ago

I got my first seeds from Trudi. I'll be sending seeds that I collect from wintersown packs as soon as they are ready this fall. I blame her. She did this to us. LOL.

Thanks Trudi. It's a shame people have to be so greedy.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Your program is wonderful. I never asked for your sasbe because I was having so much fun trading. Now I am tempted to go to your site again just to see how I'd do on the quiz, lol. I may have a few things I can send along. I'll check.

I wouldn't mind printing the page, I shouldn't think anyone really interested would either. Don't worry trudi, we are not offended.

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

Trudi,

we fully understand and support you. i love wintersowing, liked the quiz also. Though i did not need seeds i wanted to know how much I know and i scored 80%. good enough for newbie :)

HOS - a new flavor at the local ice cream parlor. LOL !

• terrene
    15 years ago

I think that is an excellent idea, especially adding the quiz so that people have to make a little more effort (and learn something) to get free seeds.

It is amazing how crazy people can be when they can get something for free (or cheaply). A few years back, I had to clear out part of the commercial space I manage, and held an "office sale" in the parking lot on a Saturday. The sale went from 10-3 pm and after 3 everything left over was free. People would attempt to bargain on the price of nice packages of labels, dividers, and binders. Trying to chisel PENNIES off a dollar or 2, when these items are quite expensive to buy at the store. There's something pathetic about bargaining for 25 cents. People wouldn't spend $3 for an adding machine during the sale, but when they were free, they came back and snapped them up. They probably spent more than $3 in gas and time to come back to get them.

And this was when the economy was much stronger! Penny wise and pound foolish?

• ajpa
    15 years ago

I think you are awesome for doing all this!

The quiz & the print-out are both such creative solutions.

I will learn how to save seeds so that I can send you lots in the fall.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Trudi,
    I'm soo sorry that greedy and selfish people have drove you to this!! But I completly understand, I would have thrown in the trowel along time ago :-)
    mean people suck
    Please let us know how many seeds per packet, or if anyone else knows, please post.
    Also if I save the tomato seeds will they come back true? I have mostly flower seeds but will save veggies next year!
    I took the quiz too and sad to say I need to go back to school!!LOL!!
    -B

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Trudi, how many seeds per pre-packaged do you want?
    Also, let me know what info you want on the packets, days to mature, common name etc..
    There are quite a few kids grounded that I know, I will have them do a project and ship off to you.
    Liz

• terrene
    15 years ago

Trudi, can you use donations of native wildflowers and grasses? My veggie seeds are old (but mostly viable) but I've got lots of nice flower seeds.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

It is a shame that there have to be "rules" attached to sharing,but I whole heartedly agree it is necessary sometimes. wintersown.org is a place to go to get an education on how to be self sufficent,not a place to pick up free seeds and "forget the method". It is horrible how it has been mistreated and I am glad you took a stand Trudi!:)

• daisydawnny
    15 years ago

Ut Oh....I took the quiz and got the addy, I just have not mailed it yet. What should I do?

I am so sorry people are taking advantage of your generosity. One of my goals is to gather seed to share. I know it has been a wonderful experience as a newbie.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone very much.

I've always been casual (reticent actually) about suggesting how people should share their seeds so on the donations page the amounts per packet were never included. It seemed improper to me to request that people should do certain particular things--after all, you're donating to me and I'm not purchasing or ordering from you. So, this has always left me feeling uncomfortable.

But this is "the now" and WS has gotten very big, times are hard for many people and sincere requests are the bulk of WinterSown SASEs.

So, let me make some suggestions here and I do stress that they are suggestions for pre-packed seeds.

Weight is a big issue. I ask for two first class stamps on the SASE which will cover a fat envie over an ounce but under two ounces (if I recall correctly).

Pre-packed amounts would be equal to something that you feel comfortable trading or receiving. There are a few exceptions simply because of the weight of the seeds.

Really big seeds, like runner beans should be limited to about eight seeds per packet.

Big seeds like corn, peas and beans I would limit to a tablespoon amount.

Smaller seeds like morning glories would be about a teaspoon though that may actually count out to a very generus amount.

Any seeds smaller than that is an amount that you would feel comfortable sending or receiving in a trade.
    =========================

Packet info:

Minimally the common plant name is needed, botanical name is not needed. Let's say that if you label a pack as 'Mixed French Marigolds' there really isn't much need to put anything else. But if you don't know you have French Marigolds then you would put on the label 'Marigold Mix, 12'. There is no need to supply every bit of info--after all WS is all about self-learning and if you provide all the info then there is no reason to look up a name and learn on your own.

It's never needed but some people like to put their name on their packets--that's okay if you limit it to your online name, but for obvious reasons don't include your real name and contact info.

If you need more clarification let me know but I think that will cover it all. I do have some seed packet designs uploaded, you can use these or not, I wnat everyone to do what they feel comfortable with--it's not a complete file yet because it has to wait until the end of winter when I have some more free time. I'll paste in the link below.
    ====================

As to the learning puzzles....

I'm so glad you like them. I think they're very important as a learning tool. The software for the puzzles came from University of Victoria, it's called "Hot Potatoes". There are several types of puzzles you can make with the software but I've only used a few types. The puzzles can be set to email me the results but I have no interest in using the puzzles for test results--I use them as learning tools with a timer and ability to repeat the puzzle to improve your score and time.

Thank you everyone, your support leaves me uplifted. I agree that mean people suck--over the years I've developed a thicker skin. In the beginning, when people were still laughing at me an my frozen milk jugs in the snow, harsh criticism would have me doubled up and crying in the throne room, but those days are long gone. I also cannot say enough good things about my AgNIC family which embraced from the very beginning--their acceptance made it possible to fend off critics, they're shared collective wisdom helped me build a powerful website.

Well, I've got seeds to pack and emails to answer--and a few more copyright statements to add to the site. My AgNIC family has made some site suggestions that I will begin to implement.

Bless you all,

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown Seed Packets

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daisy,

Just send in the SASE now without the printout. It's not March 1st yet...if you want you can go back to the site and do the printout to send with your SASE.

T

• daisydawnny
    15 years ago

if you want you can go back to the site and do the printout to send with your SASE.

T

Done! Thank you again Trudi.

• karendee
    15 years ago

Trudi, I have learned a lot from the winter-sown site. I do appreciate it all.
    Karen

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want to thank everyone for your support, it's wonderful to know you all "have my back".

Bless you all.

Trudi

• susan926
    15 years ago

Oh Trudy,
    Why do some people just have to take advantage and work the system? I will never understand what makes us all tick.. I always bring tons of seeds to share when I teach a Wintersowing seminar, but since we moved from the 2 acres my seed supply dried up for next year. Now I will have to just become a snatcher full time, other wise I would offer you seeds:)

Hugs,
    Susan

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bless you Susan.

We reap what we sow, the seeds you shared will come back to you.

• helenh
    15 years ago

If all the people who got seeds plant them, that will be more food that will be shared. I plant tomatoes for myself but in midsummer I have them coming out my ears. I think the seeds will do lots of good even if Trudi is being stressed at this point in time. People on other forums are talking about winter sowing and telling newbies to check out the WS forum. The winter sowing idea is being spread; don't worry about that. I can see why there were too many requests for the free seeds; it is an unbelievable offer. I don't have any vegetable seeds but I will send in some flowers if that would help.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bless you and thank you Helen, I can use whatever you want to share. I've got over ahundred of these SASEs to fill this weekend, and next week I'm filling a donation going to a Veteran's Hospital in Oklahoma.

What comes tomorrow replaces what goes out today. It's a big revolving door of donated seeds--I am so grateful for everyone who keeps that door turning.

But, oy! Sometimes I get a little dizzy, lol.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

You KNOW I have your back!

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

When I first went to the wintersown website, I somehow got the quiz first. I took it and tried to answer the questions before seeing the basic website. They were hard. LOL I don't have seeds right now, but I will later.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And I've got yours too Bakemom.

Here is a link that might be useful: We're both prettier than this but the intent is clear ;-) Lookout world, here we are!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Trudi,

Can you use melon seeds? I have a bunch of different kinds that I don't plan to use. I'd be happy to send them along if you think someone may want them. plmk

Lisa

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Melon seeds are slways welcome and appreciated. I am a very big fan of the entire melon and gourd family, which includes cucumbers, winter squash, zukes, etc. When I have these seeds I always put them into SASEs...they don't stay here long at all. I like them for a few reasons.

First, they're usually quite easy to grow. A bucket of compost, a little food and water is all it takes for success. They can climb or crawl--it works out well either way.

Second, the seeds are large and easy to sow. Tiny, very young hands or old, arthritic ones can easily manipulate the seeds.

Third, the seeds are very forgiving--you could sow them a bit too deep and they'll still have enough energy reserves to get their leaves to the sun.

And finally, they sprout fast with big leaves. This is exciting for anyone--little children have little patience, these seeds are a blessing if you're helping a young child with their first garden.

Thank you Lisa,

T

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Package on way to you, will try and round up more for you

ML

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

*bump*

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Trudi,

Where do I send them?

Lisa

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the bump Nancy!

Lisa,

I will paste in the link with the info for you. Thank you.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Seed Donations

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say Thanks Trudi for all that you do. This is my first year and I'm already hooked! Nikki

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH