Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenluv_gw

hmmm....tomatoes

gardenluv
14 years ago

Okay here is my story before I get to my question.

I have two young children who LOVE tomatoes plus a husband who LOVES tomatoes. I would like enough plants so that the three of them can all share and be happy. I forget who it was who suggested at least 12 plants in order to do so.

Here are the seeds I have:

Jelly Bean Hybrid

Garden Peach

Red Cherry

Pearly Pink Cherry

Delicious

Brandywine

Roma V

Beefsteak

Tigerella

Box Car Willie

Early Girl

Better Boy

Speckled Roman

Yellow Stuffer

So finally to my question. I am planning on starting at least one of each kind, but are there any that anybody would suggest doing more of off of my list? Are any of those that you would skip? I am kinda limited on space but can manage to have around 20 tomato plants.

Comments (19)

• auntyara
    14 years ago

gardenluv,
    LOL I hope they can eat that many. I think you better study how to can them. Or sell them. That's a lot in my book.

:)Laura

• token28001
    14 years ago

If your space is limited, consider only indeterminate types. You can stake them as they grow and they take up very little real estate. You can even plant, if the soil is good and you water consistently and feed heavily, one plant per square foot. It's the Square foot gardening method.

Now, the only concern I would have is, do you have enough growing season for things like Beefsteak? They are huge and can take time to ripen. Early girl is a short DTM and is supposed to be good. Better Boy is a good tomato as well.

For the cherry varieties, consider planting them with your flowers. Why take gardening space for those? They're going to produce a lot, and it could help you get the family into the flower beds. Plant with marigolds, cosmos, and nasturtiums. Stake them or cage them.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last year we had 10 tomato plants and it wasn't quite enough. They prefer them over candy (I'm totally serious). The ones that take a while to grow I am going to start inside next month. That way come time to plant out, they will have a start on the wintersown ones. The cherry tomatoes and early girl I will wintersow.

That's a good idea to plant the cherry tomatoes in with the flowers...if I have room. Most of the tomatoes will be grown in large containers since I don't have very much ground space. Hence the reason I can only do about 20 plants.

• kterlep
    14 years ago

OK, I would plant one of each (that's 14) with an extra of anything that it looks like you should need more of. The Jelly Beans tend to be very prolific (I haven't had the hybrid but have had an OP variety, and one should be enough). You may want another cherry or two, and probably an extra Roma or two if you will be making Salsa (likewise an extra stuffer if you would want to make a whole pan of stuffers at once).

• token28001
    14 years ago

Don't use a container smaller than a 5 gallon bucket. If you're using regular potting soil, mix in some vermiculite to hold moisture. They don't like to dry out.

Even with my wintersown tomatoes, I tend to repot them at least once before setting them out. It helps me get a larger plant that I can bury deep to force roots along the entire stem.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, thanks guys! I plan on using 5 gallon buckets and also large plant containers. I too like to repot my tomatoes and bury them when I do so. Good to know about the vermiculite. I didn't know that would help and I will definately do that this year.

My husband likes to eat sliced tomatoes topped with basil and cheese. Which tomato would be a good slicing tomato for that? Beefsteak? Betterboy?

• token28001
    14 years ago

Beefsteak is an excellent slicing tomato. If you apply Miracle Gro as soon as the fruits form, and about every 2 weeks after, you'll have huge tomatoes. Be sure to add about a 1/4 cup of lime to the top of the container every other time you fertilize. Miracle Gro and other chemical fertilizers can acidify your soil, especially in a container, and cause blossom end rot. My grandma used to drop a piece of chalk in the hole when she planted her tomatoes for the same effect. If you notice yellow leaves, common in containers, add a spoonful of Epson Salt to one of your waterings. It'll add back magnesium which helps the plant take up nutrients.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are an unending source of information! I often wandered what caused blossom end rot. I only had that problem with a couple of plants, but wasn't sure why...now I know! I will definately double up on the Beefsteaks. Last year he was so happy when I would make these and take them out of the oven. It is a tasty healthy snack and I love that it comes straight out of the garden. Thanks Token!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I grew Jelly Beans 2 years ago and found their skins to be tough (although my inlaws liked them). I would just plant another Red Cherry & skip the Jelly Beans. Now that I think about it, your kids probably get a kick out of the name. It might be worth it for the kids. That way they can tell their friends that Mom told them TO eat their jelly beans. Anyway, I prefer Tommy Toe (a red cherry), Red Cherry, Supersweet 100's and Black Cherry to Jelly Bean.

I didn't find Brandywines or Delicious to be very productive at all, but you have a good mix of beefsteak/slicer type tomatoes, so you won't be waiting for a tomato. Beefsteak, Early Girl & Better Boys have been good producers for me.

I haven't grown the rest.. Just my 2 cents.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks booberry! I think I might actually have some black cherry tomato seeds somewhere...hmmmm I will have to go look. I think with four cherry tomatoes, I won't need to double up on those. I will double up on the beefsteak, early girl, better boy. I'm hoping for a good mix this year with lots and lots of tomatoes!

• token28001
    14 years ago

I love tomatoes. My favorite this past year was Green Zebra. It's tangy and juicy. I love smashing them up, simmering them with a little seasoning fat, and spooning them over rice. Enough juice in the pot and it's like a soup. My mom makes this all the time. I can't get enough even in summer. I've got plans for 36 plants this year, 23 varieties.

{{gwi:360870}}

I also grow a great deal of squash.

{{gwi:360871}}

Veggies were what got me started with gardening. My parents used me and my sister as forced slave labor every summer. Some things, you just can't escape.

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is impressive! I hope I have that much luck with my tomatoes this summer!

• irisgirl
    14 years ago

If you want to sell them, grow as many seedlings as you can/all varieties you have. Then keep for yourself those that don't sell. Worked pretty well for me the last 3 years.

NB: Yellow Stuffer is just what it says. Use it just like you would a Bell Pepper for stuffing. BUT THEY DO NOT FREEZE WELL, EITHER STUFFED OR UNSTUFFED. To my sadness... They do have nice thick walls tho so use them up in ratatouille or a chunky salsa or something like that. We thoroughly enjoy them. Specs: these are big IND plants, that keep producing until the heavy frost really wipes them out. Plan on really big cages or double stakes to keep the fruit off the ground. And ENJOY!

• flowerchildky
    14 years ago

this thread is so interesting- such good information
    I don't have a lot of room either, and plan on using 5 gallon (or bigger) pots for my tomatoes- I have been busy this winter trading and shopping and have 20 or so heirloom variety tomatoes to try...

I grew Jelly Bean red and yellow last year- (thanks Sandy in MN!) and we loved them! My favorite cherry was the 'black cherry'- I like sweeter toms- they are SO cute too!

token- thanks for all the good info you shared- I have followed your threads/pics all winter- great job!

couple of questions:
    where can I find free/recycled 5 gallon containers?
    need a recipe for salsa -an easy one? and one for stuffed toms?

gardenluv- I have a few fun/unique seeds I think your kiddos would find interesting to grow- e me if you are interested..

thanks,
    happy spring!
    Linda

• courtcourt
    14 years ago

Linda -

I grew lots of tomatoes last year in self-watering container-rigged 5 gallon buckets. I'm going to try a few this year just in the buckets, with a "trough" thing underneath some to see if that will work as well.

Anyway - free 5 gallon containers - I get mine from the bakery department of my local grocery stores. I actually left my phone number with them, and when they have a bunch that are empty at once (usually right before a holiday week, when they are making cookies and cakes for that particular holiday), they call me and I've taken out 10-20 at a time. Takes some scrubbing to get the icing off, but they're free. ;) They also have given me 3-gallon buckets that I grow peppers and lettuces and other things in. (I have land, but like the control of growing in containers.)

My go-to salsa - 3 tomatoes, 1/2 a red onion, a handful of cilantro, a couple of squeezes of lime juice, a jalapeno or serrano chile, and a pinch of salt. Chop it all up and munch all day long.

• flowerchildky
    14 years ago

courtcourt
    thank you for the information!
    the salsa sounds so good! can't wait for some 'real' tomatoes...
    happy spring!
    Linda

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found some black cherry seeds in my stash so I will be adding those to the list.

There is nothing that smells better than fresh salsa (coming from someone who doesn't even like it). My husband makes fresh salsa. Very similar to courtcourt's, but he adds garlic and more peppers. He likes his HOT!!!! I am so looking forward to this year's tomatoes!!

I have enough room inside to do all 20 tomatoes, which I will probably do, but I will also wintersow some cherry tomatoes so that I can share with others and have some later bloomers that will make it longer into the season. Is it spring yet?

• sweetlady
    14 years ago

Token, what is seasoning fat?

• tazebell
    14 years ago

I got the tomato seeds I ordered from Tomato Growers the other day. Why in the world did I order so many? I wanted unique heirloom varieties. I ordered a few plugs of the ones I so very much wanted last year but blight got them before they bloomed. I have to sit here now and go back to the website and make notes about what these "love apples" are.

I have never heard of most of the ones I got so now I am thinking, outloud - who is going to buy you extra plants or the finished product this summer? (See I have this dream of sitting under a canopy in the front yard with my 'maters out.

Bet I would have to get some type of state regulatory certification or something.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting