Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Late start this year

proudgm_03
11 years ago

Hello everyone! So glad to see some of the same people on the boards. I haven't WS in a couple of years and I forgot how much fun it is. And now I have a good excuse for wearing fingernail polish. It hides the dirt under my nails that I can't get out! Can't wait for DH to come home and start griping about the containers in the sink and the dirt on the table. Because I haven't WS in a while the garden is a wreck so it's time to refurbish it. Because of the excessive heat I lost almost everything. I am trying some seeds that are 3 years old. Hope they still germinate.

Comments (26)

• emcd124
    11 years ago

Im getting a late start too. Things have been hectic with work, and I'm pregnant which makes me so tired that I cant really think about washing and packing containers because after my son is off to bed all I want to do is sit on the couch :)

glad to hear someone else is starting later too!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

It's still Feb. -- I don't consider that late. :) Good luck to you both and congrats on the baby, emcd.

Caryl

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

Proudgm, Don't feel bad, I haven't planted one seed yet.

Lisa

• terrene
    11 years ago

Hi Proudgm, hope you enjoy doing some Wsing again! I don't think it's late either. I've got some trees, shrubs and perennials done, but will be doing most of the sowing later in March into early April.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I just got started this week and I'm up to 17 containers, so far. Even just a few containers can still give you the joy and excitement of anticipating sprouts and growing a different variety than you'll find in the stores come spring. Just do one at a time, if you can. Remember, it's supposed to be enjoyable, so if youre too tired, it can wait.

Martha

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    11 years ago

Definitely not late. Just moved into a new place so I'll be winter sowing for the first time in two years. I always used to start on or after Feb. 14th. doing the same this year. :O) have fun!

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that I'm not the only late bloomer! I'm up to 45 but I'm about to run out of jugs. I really hope my old seeds germinate. I could just kick myself for not planting them when I got them. I received some wonderful seeds in trades and swaps that I really wanted. Since the summer literally fried everything in my gardens I don't have a trade list so I'm hoping at least some of them make it. Anyone have any luck with older seeds?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    11 years ago

I've had quite a bit of luck in the past. I once germinated some seeds my mother had kept for 30 years.

Let's put it this way - They'll have a better chance of germinating with moisture and soil than sitting in a cupboard. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Columbines are the only ones in the past which have failed me if the seeds have been more than a year old. I guess this is one that requires 'fresh' seeds.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Welcome back, Tiffy. I am not sure what I'll be doing this year because I'll be having surgery next month and travelling once I recover. Did 4 containers: my Cannas which I must have and will probably have to hit the nurseries this year. First time in about 7 years. Interesting to note what you said about Columbines. I had a set of five varieties last year...put them away so well I never found them until Christmas, and I am thinking of putting them out next week. Wish me luck.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Most of my seeds are a few years old and I've had pretty good germination. The one plant I've had trouble with in that regard is asters, and I just read somewhere else that aster seeds only last a year so maybe that's why. All you can do is try -- if they don't germinate you can just recycle the soil so nothing lost.

• wendy2shoes
    11 years ago

Hello Guys! Welcome back Tiff ! I've only sowed 12 containers as my beds are stuffed with perennials now. I'm basically replacing stuff that's faded away, and saving the heavy sowing till spring to start annuals. I scored a bunch of seeds from a local Zellers that closed last fall, with lots of poppies, and white marigolds (which I love) in the mix.
    I think I may still try to find some sweet william. Mine seem to have petered out.
    Tiff..you'll have to post a photo of your new place..do you have much to work with?

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

The past summer was just awful with that excessive heat. I can only hope that this summer we get a normal, healthy dose of rain. There's something soothing about after working in the garden on a hot day to sitting down and listen to the rain fall (and some gentle rumbles of thunder).

I'm cutting back on WS this year and I'm still doing perennials. I'll be doing Datura seeds soon. I'm glad to see that it's still not too late to do the perennials. The butterflies and hummingbirds are just gonna love what'll be growing (hopefully) in my garden this year.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• lissatink
    11 years ago

Wendy2shoes I have some sweet william I can send you. I only did one plastic container so far with about 40 cups in it. We got 3 feet of snow and I haven't gotten a chance to get back out.

• wendy2shoes
    11 years ago

Lissatink..thanks so much for the sweet william offer, but trading across the border is usually more trouble than it's worth. I have a pretty good local nursery that is open year round. I should be able to find some seeds there. One thing I haven't seen for a few years is a dwarf variety.
    Must be my soil, but biennials just don't survive in my garden. I can't keep digitalis going either! That's what is so great about winter sowing. You find out what works and what doesn't without spending a lot.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

wendy, do your sweet williams bloom the first year? I had to wait till the second season for mine, but they're really beautiful. I never had any till I started ws because the garden places usually carry the more modern dianthus.

Caryl

• greylady_gardener
    11 years ago

I sstarted just into the new year with mainly perennials and a few hardy annuals. Still have lots to do, but they are all the annuals that need to wait for a few weeks. That will give me time to gather a few more containers.
    Using up a lot of seeds that are a bit older....nothing ventured, nothing gained! :-)

• wendy2shoes
    11 years ago

Caryltoo, I have to wait for the second year for bloom as well. Sometimes, that is it, and I don't see the plant again. I think I might be disturbing them too much doing spring clean up..:0(

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I was worried I didn't have enough winter left but mother nature showed me who was boss. We have about two inches of snow/sleet/ice and it's still coming down. I guess I won't have to worry about watering in the cold. I have planted out just about all the perennials and had 85 containers. Now for the nervous wait!

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I was worried I didn't have enough winter left but mother nature showed me who was boss. We have about two inches of snow/sleet/ice and it's still coming down. I guess I won't have to worry about watering in the cold. I have planted out just about all the perennials and had 85 containers. Now for the nervous wait!

• northforker
    11 years ago

With my first jug planted this past weekend, this is the latest start I've ever had. I usually begin on MLK day, because I'm off from work and the Christmas holiday maddness is behind me. I got the columbines out there because I think I remember they germinated best if they had a decent dose of cold. I looked at my big bag of perennial seeds and thought, hmmmm, there are others that need that cold spell too; I 'm going to have to prioritize what gets planted next. Anyone have a simple list of varieties that need to have winter cold to germinate? I seem to remember there was one.

Great to see you back Proud Grandma!

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I couldn't find a particular site and I can't find my flower book but here are a few I found that need cold stratification: bleeding heart, allium, aconitum, columbine, echinacea, anise hysop, belladonna, veronica, phlox, lavender, delphinium, asclepias, hollyhocks. I'm sure there's more.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page02.html

This in another site I had bookmarked.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    11 years ago

It has been entirely tooooo long since I've ws'd! We moved from Pa to Delaware... 2 growing zones different! We've been here about 8 months now. The soil is white sand, it's warming, sunnier NO SNOW!

I just got back into thinking about growing from seed & ws-ing... hope I"m not too late. It should be mid 40s during the day but colder at night... at least it's giving the little seeds a head start.

Should seed that are a year or 2 be fine to use? I've got so many tomato, pepper seeds, greens, beans, herbs like basil? I won't be ws'n the tender ones.... oh well, I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. :)

• Edie
    11 years ago

I'm another one just getting started. Kevin over at "A Garden for the House" did a post on seeds that need the cold strat. He's a winter sower too. :-) I used his list to sort seeds into a "priority" baggie and put a post-it on the bag telling me to "sow these first!"

Here is a link that might be useful: List

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edie thanks for the list. That's very helpful!

• northforker
    11 years ago

I will use that list too - -thank you!

Sponsored