Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter sowing under a low hoop?

Posted by nugrdnnut N-C WA 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 20:35

I am thinking about winter sowing warm weather crops (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillas, etc) in milk jugs under a low hoop cover. I hope that this will produce seedlings sooner, that will grow a little bigger and, therefore, possibly maturing and producing earlier. Btw, I have agribon19 and/or plastic to use as hoop covers.

Has any one done this? If so, how is your success as compared to regular (uncovered) wsing? Do you think that lack of air circulation might be problematic?

Any experiences/trials with this is appreciated?

Regards,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter sowing under a low hoop?

Tom, (I reread your post and had missed that you said in milkjugs. Doofy mis-read on my part.)

I may put some of my wintersown containers under a hoop, just to see & to have the hoop already set up ready to go when the container plants are big enough to transplant. I figure it cannot hurt, though I may need to water/soak those more than the others.

Let's compare notes.
-Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:25

o

Set your hoops and plastic up a couple of weeks ahead of planting to warm the ground. I've planted this way but I always warmed the ground first so the seed gets off to a good start. If the soil is not warm the seed will just sit there until it's warm enough to sprout

o

Tom, I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - it would be kind of like starting them in a greenhouse, I suppose, and give extra heat for a head start. I think the one thing you'd need to attend to is water - being under the cover the containers would not get as much water as they would uncovered, and being warmer, would dry out sooner on top of that.

Good luck!
Dee

o

I'm really looking forward to trying this. It may double our advantage.

o

Thank for the input.

I will be putting up an agribon-19 or plastic hoop cover over the milk jugs this weekend. I will leave 1 jug outside the hoop as a comparison and will report how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here