Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New cold frame

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 20:46

I've lost my space to start seeds indoors for now.
I went to the dump recycling place and bought a kids' water table and some plexiglass that just fits the top perfectly :)
It's about 2x4' and about 7" deep.
I tried some winter sowing last year, but got distracted and they all fried. This year I'm retired and have the time to pay attention!
I have almost exactly 2 months til plant out time. I also have 3 new beds (raised up 3x8')
Soooooooo.....When to plant eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, squash, tomatillos, etc? Any vege you can think of is what I'd like to plant!
My worries are that, with our severe drought and warm temps and now finally winter type weather, I'm just not sure when to go about this! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New cold frame

i know nothing about your zone so I can't really give you specific advice.
DId you want to start the veggies via Winter sowing or in the cold frame?

o
RE: New cold frame

I thought they were basically the same thing? Using a greenhouse-type environment to start the seeds?
I'm in No Ca where we are having the most bizarre weather (or lack of!) It has been anywhere from 60-75* most of Jan and Feb. Overnight frost (But no freezes)
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here