Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Anyone sowed Berries and current, Peat Pot?

ladyrose65
11 years ago

Hello, I finally got some seeds of raspberries, Blackberries, cranberries and currents. Can any shed light as to what to expect as far as growth habit's.

I would like to keep them in peat pots for the first years. Any got recommendations for Peat pot companies at good consumer prices?

Comments (9)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Do you have experience with peat pots that makes you want to use them?

I hate the way they perform. They are either too wet, or wick the moisture from the growing medium and roots are too dry, I can't find a happy in between.

If you are looking for something PH suitable and that's why considering peat pots, most places that carry an assortment of potting soils will carry an azalea container mix that would be a more acidic growing medium, retain some moisture without staying soggy.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

ladyrose65 - I am sure that you know that if you sow seeds of raspberries, currants (are they red, black, white??) blackberries, etc you will not know for some years whether the resultant plants are worth having. Named varieties of these fruits do not produce true copies from seed. If you want to be guaranteed good quality fruit you need to take cuttings of, or plant, named cultivars which have been vegetatively produced. When my soft fruit produces seedlings I pull them up to preserve the purity of the planting.

If you do go ahead and sow seed, then peat pots will not help you. They are designed to hold a seedling for a matter of weeks before planting out - and they aren't much use even at that. If you want to keep a raspberry in a pot for 'the first years' it needs to be a robust container of a gallon at the least, not a peat pot.

BTW - currants, raspberries and blackberries are not particularly bothered whether they have acid soil or not. They will be perfectly happy in neutral soil.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You Morz and Flora. The package says "wild bramble blackberries" they should come true to seed? I got some seed saving books, I'll check them out.

I guess I will have to find a company that sell nurserie pots.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Ladyrose, you might find a closer vendor but I get my supplies at Charley's. I buy in bulk and haven't had to order for a while, I use them for years. The 3 1/2x5 are an especially nice size for growing on perennials and shrubs I know I won't be planting right away, room for good root development without taking up width on my plant carts and tables.

I've heard good things about Novosel Enterprises bulk prices too, but I prefer the square shape and haven't ordered from them myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleys Greenhouse

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi again ladyrose65 'wild bramble blackberries' doesn't tell you much about the parent plant, I'm afraid. Wild blackberries are highly variable and interbreed prolifically. There is no way of knowing what the fruit of your seedlings will be like. And I have to say I am amazed that someone has the nerve to sell bramble seeds to the public when they are such a common weedy species, however tasty and useful. If you just want the fun of growing something from seed there is no problem but if you seriously want to produce some good quality fruit you need to buy a named cultivar of blackberry. The same goes for raspberries and currants (which come in black and red/white/pink, the former being a different species from the latter.) I know nothing about cranberries but do you know if you have purchased true cranberries or one of the viburnums?

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice I will look into the pots.

Flora, this is where I ordered the seeds from. Maybe you can make better 'heads and tails' out of this.

The seed packets say "Family: Rosaceaa". They do say seeds may vary. There is a high probability of pot-luck. But I was happy for fruit seeds. Time will tell what I actually get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant world Seeds

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

So you ordered bramble seeds from the UK? Now I'm even more intrigued given that there are many, many US cultivars of blackberries suited to conditions in the States.

I am afraid I am still of the opinion that 2.30 for a pack of wild blackberry seeds is a rip-off. I have had a look at the website and it seems to be offering a complete lottery as regards quality of fruit.

I couldn't find any currants on the website, so I can't help you identify what you might have got there.

Rosaceae is the family name of all blackberries, raspberries, roses, apples, pears and hundreds of other plants including trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals.

You are absolutely right - Time will tell what you get.

But seriously, if you really want to grow fruit it is far,far better to buy plants or take cuttings from known plants.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Grief, I was slightly shocked too. I have bought many seeds from Plantworld and find them to be a reliable source of many really unusual plants but really, wild bramble?
    Honestly, even if you do not want to buy a named plant, you can easily propagate your own brambles by tip layering a suitable variety (if you know of anyone growing some you fancy, including handy thornless types). Simply bend the end of a cane into a pot of soil, pin with wire to anchor in place and forget about it for6 months - by autumn, you will have a nice little plant of your own and can sever it away from the mother plant.
    Vegetative propagation is the only reliable way to get good berries which have the same characteristics as their parent - seeds sowing is a bit of a lottery.
    Oh, you will probably only need 1 good blackberry bush.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flora, believe it or not, I've had two people asking for the berry seeds for trade.

Sponsored