Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter sowing with Ca wacky weather

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 21:30

We have gone from 2 weeks of way below freezing to a couple of weeks up into the 70s and an occasional 80* in the last couple of months.
Really off the wall weather in Northern Ca (just No of SF)
I have usually bought starts for my garden, but now that I'm retired, I was wanting to work on starting from seed more.
The problem is that our weather has been so unpredictable that I'm a bit afraid to set up a greenhouse type set up if it's just going to heat up again and fry my little guys while I'm away from the house!
Thoughts or comisserators? Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter sowing with Ca wacky weather

I had the same worry as well. I have many seedlings growing right now in my garage. At least this way I can keep the from the cold nights. I started everything last month since it should be 6-8 weeks from our last frost date but this weird weather has me concerned that the frost may last longer. I keep them under grow lights 16hrs a day for now. They are mainly veggies, so Im hoping the weather settles by end of march so I can set them out before the outgrow the space in my garage. After that heat wave I didnt want to spend the time to put up a temp green house to have everything die on me.

o
RE: Winter sowing with Ca wacky weather

• Posted by Errant 8 SoCal Mountains (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 15:44

I have similar issues being in the mountains of So CA. It even snowed weekend before last, and there's a possibility of flurries tonight. My poor garden is a mess!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here