Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soapsci

Foolproof seeds for wintersowing with kids

soapsci
13 years ago

I've been an avid gardener for years and just in the last couple of years have ventured into wintersowing. However, I mostly stick to the vegetable side of things. My sister (not a gardener) would like to introduce gardening to her preschool class of 3-4 year olds. It's an inner city school with limited funding. Most of the students live in apartments and have never experienced the joys of gardening. They obviously do not have access to grow lights or anything too expensive, but I thought that winter sowing is perfect for teaching youngsters about the cycle of seasons. My sister thinks flowers would be the best choice to start and I want to recommend a flower variety that is affordable and certain to winter sow well Northeast Ohio. We'll probably give each student a water bottle cut in half, filled with seed starting mix, and let them plant seeds from a variety or two of flowers. i would truly appreciate seed suggestions from more experienced winter sowers!

Comments (9)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Bachelor buttons or poppies if the weather is cold.

If the weather is warm at the time, zinnias, cosmos, marigolds.

Karen

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Any kind of plant that host butterflies. I just think that is so cool to teach any kid about the cycle of life while growing a plant from seed. Years of pleasure!!

I am still sipping on my coffee so I am trying to think of an easy butterfly host that is pretty and I keep thinking about herbs like rue, dill, fennel but there are several flowers that are host that are easy to grow but my mind is drawing blank at this moment.

Passiflora and asclepias are 2 butterfly host but I can't say they are that easy to start.

I forget is wallflower a butterfly host? I have started that with no problems.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Poor Man's Weather Glass is fun, the flowers close up when it's going to rain.

There are dwarf sunflowers that would be fun too. Maybe a purple podded bush bean, patio variety of tomato, short 'n sweet carrots are easy too.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I've worked with children many times, as well as have advised educators. I always recommend a regional wildflower mix. There are many plant varieties in the mix and so many, many opportunities for success, and because of the staggered germination the kids can observe the many different types of seedlings--it's part of learning that not everyone and everything is the same. And, all those different varieties mean a lot more to learn about than just one or two species.

A regional wildflower mix is a springboard to learning, there are a lot of educational tangents that come from it. Field-trips to habitats, environmental and ecological studies, bees and other pollinators, climates and ecosystems, gardening basics, art projects, pressing flowers, drying flowers, etc etc etc.

I'll paste in a link for the regional mixes available at WildSeed--I've ordered from them many times and I like their service and quality, however, there are many other companies that you could get your seeds from, use whomever you feel comfortable with making your seed purchases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildseed Farms regional mixes.

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

maybe monarda?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

I am reaching the age where my serious gardening is seriously encumbered so I so some childish things.

Last year I had a lot of fun with wild bird seed. A couple of sorts of sunflowers. Several grasses. A mustard or two. And among the most interesting was something I think might have been buckwheat. Whatever it was germinated early and grew fast; might be good for children.

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

Four o clocks are fun, nice big seeds and they smell great. Morning glories because they grow so fast and you can measure them. Bunny grass because it is so fun to touch and children are fascinated by it.
    {{gwi:362090}}

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

when i was little we always went to a local greenhouse and orchard and the gentleman there always gave me a sensitive plant (mimosa) i would take it home put it in my room and when you touch the leaves they close then open back up. always thought that was the neatest thing and i remember him to this day, even though he has been gone a very long time and i remember him because he gave me that plant and i loved it because it was so neat.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

Other really easy to grow flowers include Garden Balsam which sprouts really well or Love in a Mist..Nigella...it's another guaranteed sprouter. Both are very pretty and once grown will self sow in the coming years.
    Joann

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting