Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trowelgal

Sowing dill to protect my Dahlias.

I'm preparing to winter sow a lot of dill so I can plant it all around my Dahlia plants. Some years ago I quit growing Dahlias (I love them!) because the cucumber beetles would chew the blooms to bits. But last year I was at my daughter's home in Wisconsin and she had a dill patch right next to her Dahlias and not one Dahlia bloom was chewed. The dill was very strong but I happen to like the smell. I don't think the insects liked it because they stayed away. Have any of you done this with good results? Also, I would like to find some Swallowtail dill seeds but haven't seen any, only mammoth dill. Have you seen the Swallowtail variety?

Tina

Comments (14)

• littleonefb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've never heard of dill being used to repel any insects, but I do know that nasturtium will help keep away cucumber beetles away.

Here's a list of companion plants and plants that help to repel insects from
    Countrybrook Farms Nursery & Garden Center in New Hampshire

Fran

Allium ~ repels aphids, carrot flies, moles, tree borers, weevils, companions with almost all vegetables *dislikes beans, peas
    Angelica ~ attracts beneficial lacewings, ladybugs & papasitic wasps *dislikes being near dill
    Anise ~ repel aphids cabbageworm, attracts beneficial wasps, companions with coriander, *dislikes carrot
    Apple ~ companions with chive *dislikes being near black walnut, hawthorn
    Asparagus ~ companions with basil, carrot, parsley, tomato
    Basil ~ repel flies, mosquitoes, tomato hornworm, asparagus beetles, companions with asparagus, beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard, kale, marigold, parsley, pepper, tomato, *dislikes rue
    Bay Leaves ~ plant containers and bring in the house for preventing invasions of ladybugs in fall
    Beans ~ companions with basil, borage, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, celery, corn, collard, cucumber, eggplant, potato, larkspur, lettuce, marigold, mint, peas, radish, rosemary, savory, strawberry, sunflower, tansy *dislikes beet, chive, garlic, onion, pepper
    Bee Balm ~ attracts beneficial insects, improves growth and flavor of tomatoes
    Beets ~ companions with cabbage, onion, lettuce, sage
    Borage ~ repels tomato worms, attracts honeybees, adds calcium and potassium to the soil, companions with beans, squash, strawberry, tomato, fruit trees
    Blackberry ~ companions with tansy
    Broccoli ~ companions with basil, beans, cucumber, dill, garlic, hyssop, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, potato, radish, rosemary, sage, thyme, tomato, *dislikes grapes, lettuce, rue
    Cabbage ~ companions with all strong scented herbs, basil, beets, beans, chamomile, celery, chard, dill, garlic, hyssop, larkspur, lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, rosemary, sage, spinach, thyme, tomato *dislikes being near strawberry, grapes, rue
    Caraway ~ attracts beneficial insects, can be planted all throughout the garden to loosen soil *dislikes carrot, dill
    Carrot ~ companions with beans, chive, delphinium, pea, lettuce, pepper, radish, rosemary, onion, sage, tomato *dislikes caraway, dill
    Catmint ~ attracts beneficial insects, companions with eggplant, repels flea beetles, squash bugs, cucumber beetles
    Cauliflower ~ companions with basil, bean, garlic, hyssop, lettuce, marigold, mint, onion, rosemary, sage, thyme *dislikes growing near grapes, rue
    Celery ~ repels white cabbage flies, companions with beans, cabbage, leek, nasturtium, onion, spinach, tomato,
    Chive ~ companions with carrot, fruit trees, grapes, potato, rose *dislikes beans, peas
    Coriander ~ companions with anise, potato, repels aphids, attracts beneficial insects *dislikes bean, peas
    Chamomile ~ companions with cabbage, cucumber, onion, improves flavor
    Collard ~ companions with basil, bean, cucumber, dill, garlic, hyssop, lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, potato, radish, rosemary, sage, thyme *dislikes grapes, rue, tansy
    Corn ~ companions with beans, cucumber, dill, pea, potato, melon, pumpkin, squash, sunflower
    Cucumber ~ companions with beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, chamomile, collard, corn, kale, lettuce, marigold, nasturtium, onion, peas, radish, savory, sunflowers, tomato *dislikes all aromatic herbs, potato, sage
    Delphinium (larkspur) ~ companions with beans, cabbage, oats *dislikes carrot, chard, parsnip, turnip
    Dill ~ attracts beneficial insects most especially predators of aphids, companions with broccoli, cabbage, collard, cauliflower, lettuce, onion, improves flavor of cabbage *dislikes angelica, caraway, carrot, lavender, tomato
    Eggplant ~ companions with beans, garlic, marigold, peas, spinach, tarragon, thyme *dislikes apricot
    Fennel ~ companions with basil, dill *dislikes bean, coriander, pepper, tomato
    Garlic ~ companions with most vegetables especially collard, raspberry, rose, repels aphids, beetles, weevil, borer, spider mites *dislikes beans, peas
    Geranium ~ repels cabbage worm, Japanese beetles, companions with cabbage, corn, grapes, roses
    Grapes ~ companions with horseradish *dislikes beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, chives collard, kale, radish, peas, blackberry, peach
    Horseradish ~ companions with potato
    Hyssop ~ companions with broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard, grape, kale *dislikes radish
    Kale ~ companions with basil, beans, dill, garlic, hyssop, lettuce marigold, mint, onion, radish rosemary, sage, thyme, tomato * dislikes grapes, rue
    Leek ~ companions with carrot, celery, onion, repels carrot flies
    Lettuce ~ companions with beans, carrot, cauliflower, chrysanthemum, collard, cucumber, onion, radish, strawberry *dislikes broccoli, barley, fava bean, rye, wheat
    Marjoram ~ companions with pepper, sage
    Marigold ~ many insects are confused or repelled by the smell, like the Mexican bean beetle and harmful soil nematodes and Colorado potato beetles, companions with most vegetables especially beans, broccoli, cabbage, kale, pepper, rose, strawberry, tomato, use freely throughout vegetable garden
    Melons ~ companions with corn, nasturtium, radish
    Mint ~ improves flavor, repels many insects, do not plant directly into garden, this is perennial and invasive, plant in containers and place near companions with beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cabbage, collards, tomato,
    Mustard ~ use as a trap crop to attract pest insects away from other plants, pick and destroy the harmful insects, attracts beneficial predator insects, companions with Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, radish, turnips
    Nasturtium ~ repels aphids, cucumber beetles, squash bugs, white flies, borers, companions with beans, broccoli, cabbage, collard, cucumber, radish, squash, fruit trees
    Onion ~ repels cabbage moth, aphids, weevils, carrot flies, spider mites, moles and some nematodes in soil, companions with beets, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, celery, chamomile, collard, cucumber, dill, kale, lettuce, pepper, potato, radish, rose, savory, squash, strawberry, tomato *dislikes beans, peas, rue, sage
    Oregano ~ companions with broccoli, cabbage, pepper
    Parsley ~ repels carrot flies, asparagus beetles, companions with asparagus, carrot, tomato, rose
    Parsnip ~ *dislikes delphinium
    Peas ~ provides extra nitrogen into the soil especially with corn, companions with beans, carrots, chives, corn, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, radish, spinach, tomato, turnip *dislikes black walnut tree, chives, garlic, grapes, onion, gladiola, potato
    Peach ~ companions with grape, garlic, onion, asparagus * dislikes potato, tomato, raspberry
    Pennyroyal ~ repel ants, aphids, ticks, fleas, cabbage maggot, companions with broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage
    Pepper ~ companions with beans, carrot, fennel, horehound, marigold, marjoram, onion, tansy *dislikes black walnut tree
    Petunia ~ companions with beans, potato *dislikes apricot trees
    Plum ~ *dislikes apricot trees
    Potato ~ companions with beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cabbage, collard, coriander, dead nettle, horehound, horseradish, lettuce, marigold, onion, petunia, squash, sunflower, tansy *dislikes apple, apricot, black walnut, pear
    Radish ~ repels cucumber beetles, companions with beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, chervil, collard, cucumber, grapes, lettuce, melon, onion, peas, squash *dislikes hyssop
    Raspberry ~ companions with tansy
    Rose ~ companions with chive, feverfew, garlic, geranium, marigold, onion, parsley
    Rosemary ~ repels cabbage moth, beetles, mosquitoes, slugs, companions with beans broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, collard, sage
    Rue ~ repels Japanese beetle, companions with broccoli, rose, raspberry *dislikes basil, cabbage, cauliflower, sage
    Sage ~ repels cabbage moth, carrot flies, ticks, companions with broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, collards, marjoram, rosemary, strawberry *dislikes onion, rue
    Savory ~ improves growth and deters bean beetles, companions with beans, onions
    Soybeans ~ repels chinch bug, Japanese beetles, adds nitrogen to soil companion with corn
    Spinach ~ companions with celery, cauliflower, eggplant, peas, strawberry
    Squash ~ companions with beans, corn, mint, nasturtium, onion, radish, sunflower, tansy *dislikes potato
    Strawberry ~ companions with borage, beans, lettuce, onion, sage, spinach *dislikes cabbage
    Sunflower ~ attracts beneficial lacewings and parasitic wasps, companions with beans, corn, squash *dislikes potato
    Tansy ~ repels ants, cucumber beetle, flies, Japanese beetle, squash bugs, peach aphids, colorado potato beetles, companions with blackberry, cucumber, fruit trees, grapes, pepper, raspberry, rose *dislikes collard
    Tarragon ~ is reported to enhance most vegetables
    Thyme ~ repels cabbage worm, flea beetles, cabbage maggot, companions with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collard
    Tomato ~ companions with borage, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, celery, chive, horehound, marigold, onion, parsley, peas, petunia, mint, sage *dislikes apricot, dill, black walnut, corn, fennel
    Turnip ~ *dislikes delphinium, mustard

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fran,
    It was so kind of you to post that list of plants that repel a variety of insects. Hope you were able to cut and paste the list and didn't have to type it all. I am going to print it for easy reference. Thanks so much!
    Tina

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I believe you're looking for "Bouquet" Dill, although one person over on the butterfly forum gives "Fernleaf" two thumbs up.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Trowelgal, that's a good list, but if you have any questions about specific plants and predators, just do a google search for "companion plants and xxxxx" Another good resource is the library. See if you can find these two books.

# Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte

# Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden by Sally Jean Cunningham

I've got them both and use them for reference when planning my garden.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Wow, Fran. That is a really handy list! Thanks for posting it. I, too, am going to print it off and keep it handy. Hmmm. OK, now I have to wintersow some dill. Hmmm, OK, now I have to find some dill seeds...and then find another jug. *sob*

Kris (wondering what she did during winter for decades before she found winter sowing...!)

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

I have tansy growing near my roses, while we still have Japanese beetles flying the damage is nowhere serious as it happened before tansy. I plant dill and it reseeds throughout my garden anyway as I like it.

• karendee
    15 years ago

Nice list! I have some of the plants on there already. I am doing a trade for some dill. I just love it! I did not think it would repel insects. I guess I need to get more of it!

Karen

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now I want to plant even more pungent herbs. You are probably right about the name of the dill, it is probably fernleaf or bouquet. Thanks for the sites Token, I'll look into those too. Another flower I used to raise was cosmos but the cucumber beetles ate those too so I quit Cosmos. Maybe I should try them again this year with lots of pungent herbs at their feet. Since I keep an organic garden I love any "natural" idea for repelling bad insects and ideas for attracting the beneficial variety. Keep your ideas coming, we can all benefit.
    Tina

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Tina,

I copied and pasted the list from a post on another forum on GW.

I want to add a plant to the list that I personally think should be on it.

4'oclocks should be there. Since I was a little girl, 4 o'clocks where the mainstay around my grandparents roses and anything else those ugly green beetles would attack.
    Never any damage to the roses or other plants except the 4 0'clocks. The stupid beetles would chew up some of the 4 o'clock leaves and we'd find tons of dead JP around the 4 o'clock plants and on the ground underneath them.

Many of them where grown in 10-12 inch pots, 1-2 plants in a pot and grandma would move them around to various spots if she spotted the JP around.

The 4 o'clock will just keep on growing more and more new leaves and bloom beautifully, even with holes in some of the leaves and JP would be history.

Have been using them myself, in pots, for 28 years and have no JP problems.

Recently doing a google search, I read that the leaves of the 4 o'clocks are poisonous to the JP. They are dumb enough to continue eating the leaves and die, and apparently when the JP are dead and dying, it keeps the others away from the gardens.

Now for the list and plants that I've tried on it that have worked for me.

BASIL,
    now know why the number of mosquitos by my front steps where very far and few between. 12 basil plants did the trick.
    What I don't know though, is if it is only sweet basil or any kind of basil. I had 5 sweet basil plants and the rest where thai, lemon, lime, cinammon.

DILL
    That explains all the hundreds of wonderful insects that where around the yard.

GARLIC?
    well had plenty of garlic chives and the aphids where no where to be found. they smell just like garlic so am going to try garlic chives around my lupin and see if that keeps the aphids away.

MARIGOLD,
    Another old time favorite insect repellant from my grandpa. All his tomatoes and he had well over 100 plants on the veggie farm, had marigolds planted around them. The one thing he never worried about with them was any insect damage and he told me the reason was "they don't like that stinky smell of the marigolds".
    I've used them around my toms for 28 years. I grow them in huge pots and put a dwarf marigold seedling inside each pot, right at the edge of the pot.
    Never have had an insect problem with the toms, except the one little tiny tim that didn't get a marigold. That one ended up with the dreaded hornworm.
    Learned my lesson real quick and never made that mistake again.

NASTURTIUM
    Where ever I had them planted last year, no slug problems. It was a bad year for slugs with more than a foot of rain that fell over 1 month last summer. We where collecting slugs in very low bowls full of beer every day. Now I know why the 2 beds that had nasturtium in them had no slugs or aphids for that matter

ROSEMARY
    kept those mosquitos down around the back stairs, and the slugs out back too

SAGE
    That explains why my neighbors front yard had no ticks, and the dog didn't get ticks when in the front yard but did in the back yard.
    She has at least 50 plants of just common sage planted around the front yard

Fran

• token28001
    15 years ago

Pennyroyal is good for keeping mosquitoes away too. And fleas. Many organic flea sprays have pennyroyal extract in them. Just be careful if you are pregnant. It was also used as a means of aborting an unwanted fetus in older days.

• karendee
    15 years ago

Fran , I also read that 4o'clocks are poisonous to JB's. That is why I did a seed trade for them. I had a lot of JB's last year and I could not keep up with them.

I hope I WS the 4O'Clocks properly cause I plan to plant them everywhere!

Karen

• token28001
    15 years ago

Karen, four oclocks need lots of heat to germinate. And the seeds rot quickly. I treat them like a tender annual. They were the first thing to get hit by the frost in the fall. If they sprout, you may need to bring them in from time to time.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I think I sow my 4:00s with the Zinnias in April...never had a problem with them germinating, but couldn't tell you WHEN they sprouted.

• karendee
    15 years ago

thanks mmqchdygg! April gives me some time to get more containers!

Karen

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting