Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Winter Sowing Shasta Daisy White Knight

northerner_on
13 years ago

I finally found this Shasta Daisy which is shorter than Alaska and suited my needs. The packet said it was a perennial and so I went ahead and winter sowed it. I have just read Dave's description and they do not suggest winter sowing. In referring to the packet, they also suggest planting outside after the frost. I also just saw Token's post and they were grown in the hoop house. Is this a tender perennial that won't withstand winter sowing? The seeds were very expensive - $2.95 for just ten seeds, so I need it to grow. Anyone has any experience with it? Informtion would be much apprecited. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

I don't have any experience with that plant in particular, but after reading up about it, I'd just throw it outside with the rest of the wintersown stuff. It's hardy to zone 5 and according to other online resources it reseeds freely, which to me would indicate that it should wintersow just fine.

Just about ALL packages of seed say: Sow after danger of last frost has passed. I'm thinking it's just the seed producers way of guarding themselves just in case something should happen. (Think McDonalds coffee cups with their CAUTION hot liquid! warnings)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I'm growing Shasta daisy 'Snow Lady' for the same reason--I want the daisies but I wanted them short. They get positive reviews on Dave's Garden altho' one poster commented that hers spread quite a bit. I don't have a problem with them spreading out and filling in the beds since they're supposed to bloom right through the season into the fall. They're only supposed to get 6-12" tall.

I checked what Dave's had to say about White Knight and they have it growing 24"-36" tall like many other Shasta varieties. The dwarf 'Snow Lady' seeds from Burpee are available at the big box and jobs lots stores.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments ladies. Gardenweed, I was all set to purchase Snow Lady, even had it on my wish list when I read an article about White Knight which seems to be a 'newer arrival'. It got a higher rating than Snow Lady because of stronger stems, larger flowers, and the plants are more floriferous. I'll just have to wait and see if these claims are substantiated. The packet states the max. height as 12 inches, so I do believe Dave's data is incorrect. I have left my seeds outdoors, and I'll just hope for the best. Happy Gardening!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

northerner_on - I decided to Google White Knight and see what else I could find and you're right that Dave's data is incorrect. I found Estabrook's (southern Maine) website. They sell an extensive selection of Shasta daisy cultivars, including White Knight and Snow Lady. Their website shows WK growing 18-22." I sure wish they shipped outside of Maine--they've got 'Esther Reed' which I tried to get seeds of via a trade but was disappointed the person I was trading with posted them for trade but didn't follow through and send them to me.

I bought 'Banana Cream' last year on a half-price perennial sale and will have those seeds available for trade this fall. Perhaps the two of us can arrange a trade.

Good luck and be sure to post your results growing the White Knight from seed.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi there Gardenweed: I saw 'Banana Cream' pictured in a catalogue I was browsing last night and thought it looked interesting. I am a daisy lover, and each year I grow Dimorphotheca (sp) to achieve that pale yellow colour and I thought Banana Cream would make a great perennial replacement. So if we are both successful, I would love to trade. I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the offer.

• kimka
    12 years ago

I heard that Banan Cream is sterile and does not produce viable seed.

Has anyone gotten seed and germinated another yellow daisy?

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kimka: There seems to be conflicting information about the offspring of this plant. One source says it re-seeds, but another says the plants will not come true. The catalogue entry for it ws for a 2-1/2 inch plug at $16.95 each. It will be interesting to see what my plants produce.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I have ws many varieties of shasta daisy. They all germinated well so I suggest you ws White Knight.

Snow Lady is a favorite. It stays short, about 12 inches and is covered in bloom all summer. Everyone visiting my gardens comments on it. This is its third year and it needs to be divided. The clumps have gotten large but not more so than many other daisies I grow.

Broadway Lights is another good grower with the yellow bloom turning white as they age. It came true from collected seeds.

• kimka
    12 years ago

mnwsgal, do you have any seed from Broadway Lights that you would be willing to trade. Email me privately and we can see if I have anything you would like.

KimKa
    jkkaplan "at" erols.com

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Sorry, KimKa, I do not have any seed left from Broadway Lights. If you remind me this fall I will collect some for you.

• kimka
    12 years ago

Thanks mnwsgal, I'll make a note to send you an email in the fall.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz