Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

Back to winter

ellenrr
13 years ago

ugh.

Lows in the '20's for the next few days.

Snow showers, but no accumulation.

Thot we were done with this

I'm not worried about any WS'n plants.

Am not sure about a lavender I bought yesterday, well I have no where to put it, so hopefully it will survive.

Comments (14)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

It's coming back here, too. It was 75 yesterday.

Karen

• Edie
    13 years ago

Hah! I knew we weren't done yet. I woke up to a white winter wonderland. My local forecast is for 5-10" total, coming down as fast as an inch per hour, all day and through tonight. I did the happy dance for my first snowdrop blossom a few days ago. Now they're invisible, buried in snow. Time to see if I have anything left to plant that needs some cold. I've got a snow day from work and a few empty milk jugs.

Edie

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

We're looking at a week of below freezing temps at night. It was in the 70s here yesterday. I guess it was too good to be true -- or at least to last.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Yeah, a few days ago it was sunny and the snow was almost gone. I just came in from forcing the door open and digging through a 4' drift so I could get to the mailbox(sigh).

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Here too--it's winter again and the white flakes are falling. Snowcast calls for 3-6 inches. One thing that keeps me from tearing my hair out and screaming is it won't last too long this time around plus a half a foot will melt a whole lot faster than the 6 ft. we got in Jan-Feb. Another thing is I found new growth on lots of perennials I WS last year that will bloom this year. That's worth sticking around to see!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

It snowed overnight. It's cold and rainy! It supposed to last the entire week.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

btw, want to report back that I looked up the Lavender (bought) and it is Lavandula angustifolia, and cold hardy.
    whew. Cuz I really like it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ellenrr - that's good news about the lavender being cold hardy. I'm glad you could put that worry behind you. I'll be interested in what you think after you've had it for awhile. I'd like to try growing it but am concerned it's too "fussy" for me. Word has it lavender is pretty tricky to grow. I do better with things that thrive on neglect.

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

Nothing says spring is here then snow on the grill! ;o)

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenweed,
    I'm surprised that people think lavendar is hard to grow.
    This particular species is new to me, but I have always had lavender in the garden, and believe me it is not coddled.
    I don't do anything with it.
    So I would say go for it!

The only thing I don't like about the lavendar I have is that eventually it gets woody. This new one I just bought looks like it will not get too woody.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ellenrr - my mom gardened here before me and always lamented that she couldn't grow lavender. Not being interested in gardening other than spring bulbs at the time, I never understood what the problem was but recently I've read they need full sun, good drainage and a soil type that's specific to the cultivar. It could be that some types don't like humidity and there's a lot of that where I am but other than that conditions here should be ideal for growing lavender--less-than-ideal soil, full sun and excellent drainage.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just might find myself planting lavender before the summer is just a memory. I'm successfully growing 'delightful, difficult Daphne' in memory of my grandmother so lavender should be a cake walk!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenweed,
    mine get full sun and good drainage (I mix organic matter and compost with my horrible jersey clay).
    I read that lime is recommended to add to the soil to make it alkeline, sometimes I add some when I plant it, but sometimes I forget, and I haven't noticed a difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting lavender

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ellenrr - you may have hit on the exact problem to explain why my mother had no luck growing lavender here--the soil is acidic and lends itself to all things that like an acid soil such as blueberries, hydrangea, rhododendron, azalea and the like. The lilac does well but I also dump wood ashes on it every year along with the peonies and a few other perennials that prefer more alkaline conditions. Wonder if that would work with the lavender as well? I think I got some lavender seeds in a trade so I could give it a try without investing too much $$ in the experiment. Thanks for your help & encouragement!!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

U Welcome!
    Let us know how the lavender does.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations