Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

Has anyone ordered from Baker Seeds?

ellenrr
13 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a couple of things - marigold and 4 o'clock-

I'm leery about seed companies now, so would like to know anyone's experience.

thanks,

ellen

Comments (12)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Personally for seeds as common as 4 o'clocks and marigolds there are a lot of reputable dealers that aren't as pricey as baker creek. I have a hard time paying 3 bucks for a pack of annuals.

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

I have ordered from Baker Creek as well as my parents and I think they are a wonderful company to order from. I do agree though, because I'm a stay at home Momma on a budget, I would save those pricey orders for seeds a little harder to come by. To be honest I buy the majority of my seeds at Dollar General and Family Dollar 3 for a buck or 5 for a buck! Most common veggies and flowers can be found there and I have never really noticed any radical difference in germination rates. :)

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Ellen,

Why don't you post a request on the Seed Exchange ? Seems to me most gardeners will have a surplus of marigold and 4 o'clock seeds they would be happy to send to you for an SASBE if you don't have any seeds to trade ...

Iris

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't mind paying the bucks for the seeds, as long as I get what they advertise.
    They are somewhat unusual variety of marigold and 4 0'clock, and I don't mind paying a little more.
    Baker has a reputation of being good seeds people, and their catalogue is wonderful!

thanks,
    ellen

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

i have ordered from them for several years and am always happy with what i get

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I've ordered from them several times and I just love them. They always send nice size packets too.
    Joann

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I order from them good and fast service. They have the most unusual looking tomatoes.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok - that settles it! Thanks.

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

I have gotten some unusual marigold off the seed exchange I would post there for sure.

• SusanC
    13 years ago

I love Baker Creek. They carry unusual varieties, like the 'Japanese White Egg' eggplant I had been searching for, provide a generous amount of seed, ship quickly and everthing I've tried has germinated well. I have ordered from them several times and have also visited their store, The Seed Bank, in Petaluma, CA. -That is a real treat for a seed lover.

• ajourni
    13 years ago

I'm a lurker, but had to chime in and say I love Baker Creek. Their catalog is beautiful...I'm not beyond cutting out a few pictures from it to decorate my kitchen, and it's my kids' favorite "bedtime story!" (Granted, we're a little gardening-obsessed!)

Besides that, I mainly like them because they have a lot of less-common items...like the vining zucchini that "I've just gotta try" this year.

• gastone21 (z7a VA)
    13 years ago

I ordered from them the last two years. They have a great selection and ship out quick. I think my wife and I ordered seeds on Monday evening and they arrived before the weekend.

I've started most of the seeds indoors and have had great germination rates so far.

Garrett.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting