Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

What would you do if these were your jugs?

pippi21
13 years ago

I started WS on 12/30 and planted BES, Liatris, Marigolds, purple coneflower, and shasta daisy seeds, all taken from my own plants or my neighbors. To date, I have only seen 1 sprout in each of the jugs that have the shasta daisy seeds in them.Nothing in any of the other milk jugs. I would have thought these different seeds would have germinated by now. I am thinking they may have rotted from all the rain we had earlier plus the snows. There are plenty of drainage and air holes in each jug. Here's my theory.. I did not cover these seeds..could that be some of the problem? The seeds are just laying on top staring back at me! I have been thinking of opening those jugs up and taking a plastic fork and lightly rake them into the soil to make sure they have contact with soil or waiting another week as it is supposed to be in 60's and low 70's for rest of weekend. I even thought about cutting some more drainage holes along the bottom side of the jugs or just starting all over. I do have more of these seeds in lunch bags. The Coneflower seeds were from 2009, but the others, last summer's flowers.

I've even thought about dumping the soil/ and seed in the flowerbeds and working it in lightly with a plastic fork and see what happened. What have I got to lose? Hope this all makes sense. Have you figured out that I'm not a patient gardener?

Comments (15)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

We are in different zones, but I don't have any sprouts yet either, do you have your jugs in a sunny location?If not, perhaps you can move them to receive more sun,that should do the trick.I never cover any of my seeds,so yours should be just fine,are they moist enough?
    I know I need to move mine, but the thought of moving over 100 containers right now is,,,,ugg,,,,but I gotta do it, if I want to see any green.
    Keep us posted ok,good luck.
    cAROL

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

What kind of soil did you use, and how fresh was it?

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hmmmm...in zone 7 I would expect a bit more sprouting by now, especially the BES which are usually early sprouters for me. However, your jugs could be in a cool spot, so I would wait a bit longer.

If they don't sprout (I call them "duds") it could be because that the seed wasn't viable (perhaps you collected seed that wasn't ripe), or that the seeds rotted in jugs that were overly wet. Sometimes, I can't figure any rhyme or reason. I've had seeds sprout one year, and the same exact seed not sprout another year.

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

Could have been any number of things...could be the seeds are no good, or maybe there was too much air circulation so that the jugs didn't get warm enough...could have been that the top of the soil didn't stay wet enough to keep the seeds continually moist, or as you suggested maybe they got too wet and rotted. I have had this happen before, sometimes as hard as you try you just can't keep control enough on the conditions in the jug or the seeds and you end up with duds. I wouldn't get too discouraged though, you learn as you go. I am still discovering new ways to kill my seeds!!! ;)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I'm not assuming they are dead just yet,move to in the sun.
    cAROL

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did open the jugs up that had not sprouted from 12/30 and the soil seems moist when you feel it in your fingers. I took an exacto knife and cut a few slits near the bottom of the jugs, used the same knife and lightly raked over the seeds to give them more contact with the soil...taped them back up again. I'll give them another week, if nothing starts by then, I'll just sow more. I looked back on my Dave's garden diary/blog where I've been keeping notes, and I was using up some MG moisture control potting mix at that time. I had purchased it last Summer. I have more seeds of all I put out in those jugs..chalk it up for experience..we all know gardening is all trial and error sometimes. Thank You all for your advice.

• kimka
    13 years ago

I think you are being too impatient. Many seeds don't germinate until the soil stays warm for a couple of days. Depending on where you have your containers (full sun, part sun, where the wind blows, in a dip where cold pools, even where a shadow falls at the warmest part of the day), your soil may not have gotten quite warm enough, especially given the up and down temperatures we've had the past month around DC.

I wouldn't give up on these containers for at least 4-5 weeks. Wintersowing offers you stronger plants that don't need hardening off, not necessarily early plants.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

It's only mid March! Give them some time. If you think contact with soil is inadequate, maybe open the jug and just gently push the visible seeds down a bit with your finger. You could sprinkle a little fine horticultural vermiculite over them to make sure seeds themselves stay moist enough. I do that.

It's way too early to give up on them and dump, Pippi. Wait until they have some consistent warmth, day AND night time.

Karen

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know Kimka..you might have something there about the location of these..they are sitting on the concrete breezeway although they have been exposed to light..maybe it is too cold, I'm moving them around back with the others-that are doing fine because they are not on concrete.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I moved my jugs to a full sun location. Everyday something new is starting to sprout. But, I am aware, I am going to have to move them back when the Temps get over 70F.

• mogardengal
    13 years ago

I read recently that some of the potting mixes with fertilizer can actually inhibit germination--the seeds have all the food they need to get to the first set of leaves, and the extra fertilizer can burn. Of course, I read that after I planted 1/3 of my containers...something to think about if moving them to the sun doesn't work. My next 2/3 are in ProMix. Keep yor fingers crossed.

• gee_oh_nyc
    13 years ago

I've been listening to other zone 7ers who don't even check until after St. Pats Day and that was just this week. I would give them a little more time. No harm in replanting some more... the worst that could happen is you'd have to give away extra seedlings to your neighbors.
    I've had some jugs I set aside sprout in JULY! You never know.
    Patience patience patience

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

I'm just over the MD border in PA, and I don't really check until mid-March either. By now the only things I'll usually have are the cold-weather veggies, maybe a lupine or hollyhock. And this year I've got convolvulus, which is some kind of bush morning glory so I figure that's hardy as anything.

Oh, and don't throw the jugs out for at least another month. Some things, like people, are late bloomers. Last year I almost gave up on two jugs, can't remember which ones, only to have them come up in mid-May.

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

The only one of those seeds that likes being covered well with soil is the Marigolds. I would add a bit to them. The rest should sink to their own level and be fine. I've done all of them by just sprinkling over the soil.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Sponsored