Comments (83)

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I am late posting but I have
    6 for zone 7
    kim

• thenightingale
    10 years ago

I'm quite late but have 26 containers out as of this afternoon. :) (Zone 5B)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

I have a total of 367 for zone 7. I have sprouts, and spring weather is finally coming! :):)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5
    8 containers today
    153 containers total

The snow has finally melted enough that I can get out the back door and across the deck to the pot ghetto.

• Ghita
    10 years ago

70 for zone 5a

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Finally! I FINALLY started! Wow, this is pathetic this year. I usually have almost 200 containers already and today I just did my first batch. Oh well, at least I started!

Please add a grand total of 5 containers to zone 6!

Thank you!
    Dee

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5
    8 containers today
    161 containers total

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

This is a pathetic effort on my part this season, but 3 more for zone 7 for a total of 28.

Caryl

P.S. Carolinaflowerlover, I think you're single-handedly keeping zone 7 alive :)

• terrene
    10 years ago

I am lagging this year too...but got a bunch more to do.

Please add 24 more containers for me in zone 5 - I've got a total of 44 so far.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I don't remember when I last checked in, but my total for zone 5 is 88, now. Annuals will start some time later this month.

Martha

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5
    12 containers today
    173 containers total

• ponyexpress_1
    10 years ago

Please add 18 more for a total of 110. Thank you.

• bugdoctor
    10 years ago

Started on some annuals- 31 jugs today totaling 141 for zone 5. A few more annuals to go but I feel like I can see the light at the end. Hoping managing the tops on tops off game isn't too time consuming.

Terrene- I hope you are right that I end up with more sprouts than I will know what to do with. I removed dirt filled landscaping rock mulch from several areas surrounding our little lot in hopes of adding some foliage and blooms. Keeping my fingers crossed everyone germinates! Finally getting some sprouts!

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    10 years ago

Started my spring sowing today for my tender annuals. Please add another ten for me in Zone 6 for a total of 33.

I think Spring has actually arrived!

• terrene
    10 years ago

Bugdr, you might not get 100% of containers germinating, but I usually get somewhere around 90%.

20 more finished up today! Total is now 64.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5
    7 containers today
    180 containers total

• terrene
    10 years ago

2 more containers today, so total is 66.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Started Zinnias! Total is 96 for zone 5.

Martha

• Marie of Roumania
    10 years ago

47 more for zone 6, please.

219 total.

thank you!

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

38 more for zone 5 mainly tomato.

total of 167

• Liz
    10 years ago

I'm a newbie, so this is my first year. My zone (7) seems to be lagging! I will add my bit-15. I am seeing my first sprouts!
    Liz

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

I have a total of 117 for zone 6.

• Paula (Parker, CO Zone 5b)
    10 years ago

Added another 26 containers for a total of 50 for zone 5. No sprouts yet though :(

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

6 more for zone 6 please.

My grand total is a pathetic 11 so far, but hopefully I'll bump it up by a few more dozen.

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

5 more for zone 6 please.

Thank you!
    Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Added 6 more over the weekend for a total of 34 for zone 7.

• ponyexpress_1
    10 years ago

Please update my total to 122 for zone 6. Thank you.

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry for my lack of posting lately. Life's been busy for me. But here is my latest container update (perennials are done!)

8 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 70.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

6 more for zone 6 please!

Thank you!
    Dee

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

A total of 122 for today. Zone 6.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Sowed 44 more containers today! Total is now 110.

Did the heat-loving annuals, tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies like lettuce today. I think that is it for sowing in containers. I plan to do a bunch of direct sowing though.

• bugdoctor
    10 years ago

Finished off the tender annuals last week. Total of 171 containers for zone 5.

Unless there happens to be a seed packet I cannot live without as I shop the garden centers, I think that's all for my first season. Thanks everyone for sharing your seeds and knowledge!

Happy gardening.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5

13 containers yesterday
    193 containers total

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

Great job, Dan! You've already sorted the spreadsheet!

Maybe Martha has told you that we usually duke it out through May 1 and can celebrate May Day with sowing! Different Counters have handled the end slightly differently - your choice. The yr that I was involved I wanted people to post a final count by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on May 1 so May 1 was in the timestamp 'cause at 12:00 it puts the next dayâÂÂs date.

The timestamp on gardenweb is in Eastern Time. Terrene was more generous and said sowers had until 11:59 pm/23:59 Pacific Daylight Time. At any rate, please announce whatever you decide, be creative and, if you can, announce winners ASAP after the Zone Wars are over.

Thanks so much Dan, really appreciate your hard work. Thanks to Martha for organizing, to Bakemom for her generous Newbie Seed Pack project, and to everyone for participating, chasing away the winter blues, and filling our lives with eco-friendly fun and fellowship as we do some useful work. Hope to see everyone next year!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I'm a little confused. :) Is there an updated spreadsheet somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Dee

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

5 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 75.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

7 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 82.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Pixie Lou Zone 5
    38 containers yesterday
    231 containers total

Not sure if this is the end of my zone wars contributions or if I can squeeze out a few more containers tomorrow!

• lovesblooms
    9 years ago

Alright, it's zero hour. Over the past month I've sowed 98 more containers, all tender annuals, many of which are already ready to be planted out--yay! My total is 444.

• ohiopeppers
    9 years ago

Last call. Please add 51 to my count bringing my total to 105.Thanks

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

5 more for zone 6 please. Yikes, I was pitiful this year, lol!

Thank you!
    Dee

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Did some perennials earlier and pushed through with annuals today.
    Total 117 for Zone 4

• ponyexpress_1
    9 years ago

Hi there. I sowed 12 more containers bringing my total up to 134. Thank you.

• littleonefb
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is too late but here is help for zone 5.

178 containers. total 178.

Thanks.

Fran

• gardenstateblossom (NJ 6b)
    9 years ago

JerseyPurl zone 6

Please add 90 jugs for a total of 113.

For those of you keeping score at home....
    January 11 - 23 jugs -- sowed perennials and annuals (newbie mistake) from the newbie donation program, most have sprouted.

February 1- 41 jugs -- perennials, most have sprouted.

All of the above sat under a foot+ snow all winter :D

April 12 - 17 jugs -- 16 annuals that have all sprouted (yay!) and 1 perennial (that I forgot about) that I think is sprouting - it's hard to see :)

April 24 - 28 jugs -- all annuals, a few have sprouted already.

May 1 - 4 jugs -- stay tuned...

This was a lot of fun! Thank you for running these zone wars and to everyone who contributed to the newbie seed program.

JerseyPurl :D

9 years ago

*** Zone 6 is the Winner!! ***
    Congratulations to Zone 6 and much appreciation to all the counters who participated this year! Remember, anyone with 100 containers or more automatically is a member of the Mile High Club. A tight race - note the final 2 posts where they are duking it out just before the bell, exciting end!

I've done my best with the numbers but be sure to check yours and post any problems. Zoom in or zoom out to adjust the size of the spreadsheet - please be patient as it loads. Happy gardening and thanks for all the fun!!

2014 Zone Wars Spreadsheet

9 years ago

Bump. Just wanted to make sure that everybody saw the above results as forum has been busy!

Thanks again to docmom for organizing, to DHofDocMom for counting, to bakemom for her fantastic Newbie Seed Pack project and to all her generous donors, and to everyone who participated and made the Zone Wars possible! Happy gardening!

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Too bad I ran out of potting soil. If I could have only done 6 more containers zone 5 would have won!

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

DARN SOOOO close for a zone 5 win... but I am a Mile High club member finally! WHOOT

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

lol I actually forgot to keep updating this....I actually finished with 226...AND I Love winter-sowing now!! I can't wait to next year, some failures but now I know how I am gonna do it next year and I have so much to start all my gardens with this year!! It seemed like such a simple idea and it gave me such good results compared to starting under lights inside and it did much better then my mini greenhouse which only has canter-bury bells coming up and hydrangea cuttings!!
    ~Michael
    ~Truly turned a winter-sown fiend!! (BTW don't mind the weed in the pic lol)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals