Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

Can you recommend a seed company?

ellenrr
13 years ago

Last year I compiled people's good and bad reviews of seed companies, and of course I can't find it!

I just want to buy a couple - marigold and Siberian blue dianthus.

I don't mind paying more if I get better seed.

Definitely not Park who screwed me royally as well as a lot of other people. I believe that they re-organized, I still won't buy from them.

Getting in trade is somewhat iffy - sometimes I get good germination - sometimes not.

Is there any company that you have found you are consistently happy with?

Thanks,

ellen

Comments (12)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Parks screwed me also, blahhhh.

Summerhill I have gotten horrible germination rates so far. Still open minded though and crossing my fingers. I paid more at summer hill and got the least, ughhh.

I can't believe I am saying this but actually I have gotten pretty good germination rates from cherrygal, though her customer service stinks and her shipping stinks worse. Her seeds though are plenty viable at least what I ordered.

Tradewinds, has a good germination rate also awesome shipping and a great price on shipping.

T's has a good price if your looking for smaller amounts of seed so far I have had decent germination, some are a little more difficult so I can not fairly say either way.

Great germination rates from seeds from walmart, ferry morse and american seed company.

I am like you some I have traded with I get great germination, some ewww they burn a memory in my head and I will not trade with them again. Overall I get really good germination from users of gardenweb.

• mscanthus
    13 years ago

I operate a small greenhouse on a college campus. I grow all of our annuals and a few perennials from seed. I have never been disappointed with the seeds I get from Harris. www.harrisseeds.com
    You can buy packets or larger quantities.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Fedco is another you can trust but their ornamental selection not always as wide. If you were looking for variety and had 2 or so weeks to receive an order, Chilterns (UK) listed 41 dianthus this year, I have very good results with their seed and service.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

guess what I found it. Under Garden notes! Gee I am more organized that I thot. Just I had forgotten I even had a folder garden notes. lol

so here is the list I compiled last year of recommended by WS'ers:
    Bakers - Crossmans - Everwilde-
    Praire Moon - JL Hudson, Summer Hill, Fragrant Path, and Diane's - Heirloom Acres Seeds
    Cheapseeds
    Cooks
    SSE
    Johnny's in Maine
    Nichols
    Sample Seeds
    Stokes Seeds
    T & M

The only one of these I have direct knowledge of is Crossman's -
    their seeds and shipping is very inexpensive, and I had good germination.
    Their seed count was very good. [Unlike Parks which said 100 and gave 25. When they sent a replacement that was short too!]

My only caution w/Crossman is that the Zinnias which I got from them - a couple of different ones - did not do well once in the garden. Now that could be a lot of things- could be the weather, could be where I planted them..

I recall that many people liked this company so I'm not saying my experience is typical, but I do want to try another company.

ellen

• lucy_lulu
    13 years ago

Since this is my first time winter sowing, I made it a point to buy seeds from different places.

I bought Alyssum Carpet of snow and Cottage Garden Mix from WALGREENS (yes the pharmacy/store). They sell the American Seed brand for 3 packets for $1. Surprisingly, I see very good germination rate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucylulu07/5489880111

I also bought a couple of packets from Lowe's - Burpee brand for $1.79 each pack. Not so great germination.

From The Sample Seed Shop - www.sampleseeds.com for $1/ea + bonus packet. Great customer service. Decent germination so far.

The most expensive ones I got from from Renee's Garden - www.reneesgarden.com - $2.79/ea. But you get what you pay for. You can clearly see that the seeds are bigger and more viable- the result: huge sprouts! :)

And last but certainly not least, the free SASE seeds - not as good as I expected but it could just be the ones I received (not generalizing). http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucylulu07/5490484614

Hope this helps!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I got good germination from HD's Burpee line. Esp. Foxglove and Campunla's (96% germ). The only issue was, I left them out, on what turned out to be a very HOT day. Got Fried.

I ordered, heavily, from Swallowtail Seeds, but, won't be able to give you recommendation until June. Newbie WS. Good Customer Service and packaging.

• jessewo
    13 years ago

I just ordered from Swallowtail for the first time-how quick is their shipping? I'm not desperate for the seed, but it's things I'd like to start.

Still dodging snow piles, but one crocus so far!

• babcia
    13 years ago

I get consistent good results from Burpee. They have a great catalog selection and I've bought plants also. One time I had a problem and they quickly sent me a refund.

Their customer service is outstanding.

• LilBlossom
    13 years ago

I've bought seeds from Thompson & Morgan, Gardens Alive! and American Seed (Walgreens). I've also gotten a lot of SASE seeds from these forums. Now, I know Gardens Alive! get horrible reviews all over the place, but I got 5 packs of seeds for free, so figured I might as well try them out.

T&M seems to get mixed reviews, whilst American Seed get very good reviews overall. I've used T&M seeds in the past and not had any complaints, but we'll see how they fare this year. :o) Also, I've never used the American T&M, but the British one, as I used to live in Europe.

• norabelle
    13 years ago

I think Botanical Interest is wonderful; I have very good germination, but they are a little pricey (and they have gorgeous seed packets).

I have also had good luck with Olds, Page Seeds, Burpee's, and Lake Valley.

I used to be a big T&M fan. After 2009 and 2010, I am so done with that company. My 2010 germination rates w/ T&M was HORRENDOUS. Last year they were purchased by another company, and the nosedive in quality and customer service shows.

cheers,
    Norabelle

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

baker's creek is awesome: http://shop.ebay.com/bobtodd1/m.html

this ebay site is excellent for weird and cool stuff:
    http://shop.ebay.com/bobtodd1/m.html

i have heard good things about remy's seed store but have not tried it yet. she has a very good rep on here : http://sampleseeds.com/

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

I ordered from Johnny's and Totally Tomato last year and was very happy with the seeds.

Marigolds I'd just pick up at a local place, maybe even the dollar store. I've still got dozens of marigold seeds from a few of my own plants from a couple of years ago. Last year they germinated like crazy.

Caryl