Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midmented

Watering Winter sown containers

midmented
11 years ago

I moved my containers yesterday to get more sun. I noticed a lot of the containers seemed to be a little dry. The mixer in the containers had been moistened with had a good bit of water before I planted seed sat them out.

Does anyone add water their containers before they get sprouts?

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

Comments (8)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Do you still have condensation in the jugs? If so, I wouldn't worry about watering. And if you got snow chances are some moisture got in your containers.

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

When I have to water the jugs - not often by the way - I use a fine misting spray nozzle with the hose. I am fairly crippled by arthritis so lifting the jugs into a water bath is pretty difficult. I've found the misting nozzle works very well for me, but I can't let the jugs dry out completely.

• midmented
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for all the replies!
    We got snow and rain 4 days ago. I think I tend to over water things? I'll wait and see if we get any snow or rain over the next 4 days and make a decision then.

I see moisture inside some of the jugs but others seem light and dry.

• midmented
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, 3 inches of snow this morning. Looks like I won't have to worry about it for awhile. :)

• proudgm_03
    11 years ago

I think that watering the jugs is the part I hate most about WSing. I've tried misting them (takes too long when you're doing 100+), and using a small watering can, (moves the seeds and dirt around). We often don't get enough rain/snow to keep them moist. I've noticed the same jug, prepped the same way, in the same spot and one will dry out faster than the others. Keeping them moist after they sprout but still too cold to put out gets to be a problem when the weather starts heating up.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Only one spring have we had enough rain that I did not have to water my containers regularly. What has worked best for me before germination and when seedlings are tiny is bottom watering. I have a large container that I place several inches of water in then place the jugs or 2Ls inside and leave to soak. It can take awhile so I go off and do something else checking back occasionally to switch out the ws containers. Even with several hundreds of containers this works well for me as there is no hurry and all get watered before my afternoon gardening is done.

When the seedlings are larger I use a hose with a wand attachment that has several settings for watering and use the one with a gentle rain type, misting takes too long to soak the mix for me.

• midmented
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bottom watering, what a great idea! I never even thought about doing it that way. I did 48 milk jugs yesterday just to see how it would work. Over 50% of the water got soaked into the jugs.
    Thanks for the great tip mnwsgal!

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

• kimka
    11 years ago

Especially when I'm using smaller containers like 10 ounce cups, I group them full time in large aluminum foil catering trays. I cut four slits in each tray all about 2 inches up from the bottom so excess water drains and doesn't drown the containers. I get three to four years reusing trays before they wear out. When I pot seedlings up to grow on before I plant them out (instead of plunking and running), those pots go into the same trays too.

I find this is easier in all ways them trying to water from the top.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH