Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

Question - expanding beds

adamark
12 years ago

I know this is not a question for this forum but you are experience gardeners and, the most importantly, you are nice. Anyway, in order to find a permanent home for my sprouting babies, I have to expand my beds. I have a long (over 200 feet) border bed along the fence. It is not the best, under the trees and no proper edging. So, I decided to put the edging and get additional 1-2 feet width. My question is - can I just flip grass over and hope that by the time I'll be ready to plant it will rot. Or, I have to remove grass (and use in my compost) and replace with a planting mix (a lot of mix!). Thanks

Comments (6)

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

I would suggest that you flip it over, and then cover the entire bed with newspaper or paper bags. Top it off with some planting mix and then plant. After you lay out the newspaper/paper bags - wet it really good before covering with your potting mix. You should only have to put 4-6" of mix on top to plant your seedlings. By the time their roots get long enough the paper mixture will have started decomposing... Good luck!

• molanic
    12 years ago

If I can get it done in the fall I just turn over the sod and let it break down over winter. In spring though I usually have to wait to work the soil until it is time to plant due to it being too wet... so there isn't much time for sod to break down.

I end up expanding beds pretty much every year at least a little. I usually just edge it and then scrape off as thin of a layer of sod as possible to get all the roots, knock off the extra soil and compost the grass. By the time I chop up the soil a bit, add the plants, and mulch...it is pretty much back up at the same level as the existing bed. That is without adding any compost or anything either. It will probably bring up more weed seeds this way than using a no-till lasagna type method. Regardless it is my preferred way to do it in spring when I don't have the materials or time for doing it no-till. I also think it is easier expanding the perimeter of a bed this way, and doing lasagna style when making a whole new bed.

• northforker
    12 years ago

You didn't say how deep the orginial bed is (before the 1-2 ft addition) but I caution you to think about access as you expand. With the fence blocking the back, your reach will be "one way" - from the front - and your arms are only so long. Plan in paths/stepping stones/etc in the bed so that you can get in to weed/tend.

Don't ask me how I know this may be a problem... :)

On the orginal question, I can only say I would do anything ANYTHING to make sure that grass is completely dead before you flip it and incorporate it.

Again, from experience!

I made so many mistakes along the way.........

• adamark
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your answers and advises. The current bed is about 2 feet, except the "jungle area" in the back. I�m excited, just came back from HD with edging. Here, some pictures from last year.

{{gwi:362939}}

Getting closer to the jungle

{{gwi:362940}}

And the jungle - mostly Bee Balm - looks great in the summer. And, no weeding in the jungle...

{{gwi:362941}}

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I'd never dig up sod. Just cover with heavy cardboard, pile on organic materials. Lasagna gardens for me, wouldn't do it any other way anymore.

Karen

• melvalena
    12 years ago

It mostly depends on the type of grass you have.
    Bermuda can't be done that way. Its a whole 'nuther thing.

:(

Those of you with Bermuda don't even think about expanding beds this way. IT WILL NOT WORK.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!