Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Free Tomato Seeds from Campbell's

retiredprof
15 years ago

Folks: I just received a message from my local Freecycle discussion board I thought I would pass on. Campbell's is giving away free tomato seeds and donating seeds to community projects as well. Check out this link:

http://www.helpgrowyoursoup.com/

You'll see you need a code to request seeds. here are some codes:

Chicken Noodle - Code 1: P5 Code 2: 25

Cream of Chicken - Code 1: P5 Code 2: 03

Bean with Bacon - Code 1: EST4C Code 2: 29

Beef with Vegetables - Code 1: EST4C Code 2: 11

A great way to add to your seed collection and help others at the same time!

Prof

Comments (23)

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Retiredprof - thanks for the info. I just signed up for some free seeds. No clue what kind, etc. But I'm going to WS them!
    Kris

• karendee
    15 years ago

thanks prof. I signed up for seeds to.

Karen

• tdcamp
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. I just signed up for some also.

• jessewo
    15 years ago

How cool! I signed up for some & bookmarked the site to click on to go back & donate some. Heck, I grew up on the chicken noodle!

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Woo and Hoo! Just received my Campbell's seeds today. A generous amount (28!) so have lots to share. Will WS 6-10 today (to cover bases.)

Are these ACE? Or is it some other variety? Does anyone know? Would like to know if determinate or not, and what to expect. Are they hybrid? If I like them should I save the seed? So many questions.... :-D

Kris (mmm-mmm, seeds!)

• karendee
    15 years ago

Nice to know you got your seeds already. I hope mine come soon. I will sow them all once they arrive.

I would save some seeds just for fun. I get so many volunteer tomatoes I have no idea what I am going to get but they are always yummy!
    Karen

• dorisl
    15 years ago

did anybody read how many seeds they had to give away? Sometimes these freebie offers get innundated with requests and arent able to meet all the replies.

:)

• jessewo
    15 years ago

I received mine today-haven't opened the packet yet, but it said min 25 seeds, & it's the cutest little packet-looks like the can, but the red on top looks like the top of a 'mater! Looking back on my last post, I requested the seeds less than a month ago & I think that's pretty good for a freebee when they're also donating to community gardens. It's not an internet scam-it's for real!

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

I guess the link for seeds does not work anymore.
    I was unable to click on Continue.
    Bummer.

Mary

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Even though I eat / slurp a lot of Campbell's Soup..MMmm good, the offer was not available in Canada. Tomato soup, half water, half milk, white bread, lightly buttered, dipped in the soup...grade four numminess ( I'm 58 now and it's still my favorite lunch!)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Wendy, change the buttered bread to a toasted cheese sammich! Rachel Ray's recipe has you add garlic to the frying pan. YUMMERS!

:)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Well, I got mine yesterday, too. Cute packaging. I found this site where they show their seed varieties, so I'm wondering if there's a "CXD" code somewhere on the package that would ID them. I didn't notice, and don't have mine with me since I'm at work.

Anyone got a packet handy that they can look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell's Seeds

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

MMQ - just looked at mine. Nope, no code. It's obviously a promotional packet and does not contain the usual codes/descriptions you'd get on a commercial packet. Is cute, though.
    Kris

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

So I tried to get some information out of the Campbell's company as to what we're all planting, and I got this:

Ms TR, we received your message and appreciate your taking the time to contact Campbell Soup Company.
    We invite you to visit www.helpgrowyoursoup.com for additional information.
    Thank you for visiting the Campbell Soup Company website.
    Campbell Soup Company Web Team
    LXR/cl
    004244270A

so I sent this back:

Thank you; that's where I got the seeds from, however, it does not indicate anywhere on the website, nor on the packaging what type of tomatoes these are.
    Are they "Super-100" cherry, are they "Big beef", are they "early girl"...are they determinate or indeterminate? There must be thousands of varieties of tomatoes out there; I'd just like to know what I'm planting, please. Thanks!
    TR

...and got this:

we received your message and appreciate your taking the time to contact Campbell Soup Company.
    In answer to your question, the seeds are for eating tomatoes (roma-type) and are not genetically modified. They are hybrid seeds developed through traditional, time-honored breeding methods.
    Thank you for visiting the Campbell Soup Company website.
    Campbell Soup Company Web Team
    MXF/cl
    004244270B

So I guess we'll never really know. I realize it's a trade secret, and I suppose the 'roma' type will suffice for what I want to know...

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Goodness.

the seeds are for eating tomatoes

Makes one wonder if, by inference, there are some NON-EATING variety of tomatoes out there in genetic-land. Maybe some are grown for OTHER purposes, like for use in golfing, or Christmas lights or fishing bobbers. I will keep my eye out for some to use as driveway markers. Or a nice hat....

Kris (who really needs a nice hat)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

course, there could be key notes here:

They are hybrid seeds developed through traditional, time-honored breeding methods.

...and that the seeds they offer are from those hybrids which did not meet their standards, and are from the reject tomatoes...which could mean a myriad of things from tasteless to bitter to malformed to tough skinned to disease-prone to hazardous-waste-green-coloring to edible-in-the-form-of-paste-but-not-necessarily-good-as-a-raw-one to...

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheesh, folks: Regardless of what tomatoes they are, I hardly think Campbell's could afford a publicity nightmare. They do good things in the community and are a highly-respected company.

My suggestion? Sow them and see what happens. At worst, you have something to add to the compost heap.

BTW, I literally interpreted "eating" tomatoes to mean raw, not necessarily cooked.

Prof

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Helllooooooo! Being funny! ;-D

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kris: I know. I just don't want folks to be disappointed. I posted the message in all good faith (and just wanted our little community to respond to "free" seeds).

You need a hat? I got a closet full. You want Italian, Andes, peasant, or rice paddy? I got you covered, Kiddo. If you're good, I might even throw in the rest of the outfit. ;-)

Prof

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Prof - ROFL. Just what I need for gardening!

I always assumed the free tomato would be a paster or canner, one that would do well in their soup stocks. And boy am I glad I got my free seeds. I only had 22 varieties (68 plants) for this season and there was every possibility that I could maybe handle that many toms. Lord knows that would have gone right to my head. (Then I would have needed a bigger hat!) ;-P

Kris (who is now considering growing a nice purse to match)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

maybe its a mix of all of them?

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

...and that the seeds they offer are from those hybrids which did not meet their standards, and are from the reject tomatoes...which could mean a myriad of things from tasteless to bitter to malformed to tough skinned to disease-prone to hazardous-waste-green-coloring to edible-in-the-form-of-paste-but-not-necessarily-good-as-a-raw-one to...

HOOEY.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Ok, so that was a little over-the-top, and no, I wasn't looking to pick a fight with campbells...I just don't know the difference between a 'paste' tomato, or ones that are better for raw consumption, and I would trade mine away if there was a significant difference in a 'canning or soup' tomato because I don't use them that way. If there are tough-skinned varieties that are better for canning & soup, I likely wouldn't be interested in growing them.

But seriously, what do they do with the tomatoes that don't meet their standards? Do they really separate the seeds out of their 'good' tomato crops for their seed product offerings, or do they moosh it all up, seed & all, for their soups?

It would seem a logical thought to think that they would offer the tomatoes that don't pass the QC test- even if it's by only a small margin- which we hope is the case- as seed product only, and wouldn't use those for soup production.

Let's assume, then, that these hybrid seeds are like daylily hybrids: You find the 'not-quite-up-to-par-but-still-pretty' offerings sold as 'seedlings' in bulk for a cheap price because they aren't perfect for what the hybridizer was shooting for. You may like them, but the hybridizer didn't.

Sponsored