Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird weather

Posted by Chipeony 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 9:21

I am in Ontario. I already put around 70 containers outside. But the weather is so weird this year, up and down all winter. Last week, we had 10�C and - 20�C the next day. Will it affect the seeds germination process?

Does anyone have the same situation?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird weather

That is actually a completely normal weather pattern for almost anywhere. The germination process requires relatively prolonged warm periods, which is an adaptation to protect against early germination during brief warm spells. And, even if there is an unusually long warm period that causes many seeds to germinate, there will be some seeds that are even more resistant to the normal stimuli and will not have begun to develop. Those will survive a late cold snap, so you will have sprouts. The percentage of germination may vary, depending on how widely the timing of temps and moisture swing compared to the "average." But, nature has evolved to endure and survive exactly the fluctuations you are seeing. No need to worry.

Martha

o
RE: Weird weather

Down here the weird weather is more abnormally cold and snowy this year. Since the beginning of Dec. we haven't gone a week without a snow event. Our first significant warmup was the last few days into the 50s and even 60s yesterday. We finally got rid of the last snow, which came on March 17.

And now they're calling for more snow this Tuesday. Finally got the peas in yesterday, but I can't see anything germinating for quite awhile here. We're averaging something like 15-20 degrees below normal for this time of year. It hasn't stopped the weeds, though -- had to pull a bunch before I could plant the pea seeds. :)

Caryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here