Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Percentages

drippy
12 years ago

I'm always interested in what percentage of my WS seeds sprout each year - it's usually around 50% when all is said & done (I sow a lot, and often older seeds)

So far I have 37% sprouted, a few are new, the rest range from 2006 to 2011, commercial & trade. Of course, this will change up (just starting to warm up here) and down (surely I'll WS more seeds! :)).

What are your percentages so far? I know zone 3 it will be about zero, but hang in there! Your day in the sun is coming!

Comments (4)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I got a low percentage so far, compared to last year. Do you actually keep the amount of seeds you sow on record?

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I quit calculating the germination percentage after the first 2 or 3 years, as it was fairly consistent. Usually in the 75 - 80% range. Of course, that doesn't mean they all survive. Some dye after being planted out, some just die of neglect in their little milk jug coffins, LOL.

I do still keep track of how many seeds of each thing are sown, but sometimes it's an estimate, especially with tiny seeds, such as poppies.

Bonnie

• drippy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only track the # of containers that germinate, not the # of seeds per container. Like Bonnie, mine don't all survive - but I'm always interested in seeing what germinates and what doesn't.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Drippy, that is what I meant too, but now that you brought up the # of seeds germinating per container, I do keep track if it is something where I only planted a small # of seeds, such as tomatoes. It seems to be more important with the veggies, where I am trying to fill a certain number of spots each season. I don't think it matters as much with flowers, especially the annuals, as long as I have enough to make a few container combinations for the porch, I'm happy. And I really don't plant a lot of perennials anymore. After 5 years of wintersowing, there isn't much room left in the flower beds.

Sponsored