Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilblossom

More enabling: Free Seeds of Change seeds with $4.99 S/H

LilBlossom
13 years ago

In the Garden Online, a blog I follow on Facebook, just posted a link to Seeds of Change, where they offer 25 packs of seeds for free, with $4.99 S/H. It's a random pick it seems, and not sure if they are flower or veggie seeds. But I applied for some. :oP

http://seedsofchangefoods.com/sowingmillions/sowingmillions.aspx

Comments (29)

• Started_with_bean
    13 years ago

I checked and they are giving away vegetable and herb seeds to encourage more organic, grow your own food gardens. Wish I had more space!

• weebay
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for the great tip Lilblossom! I was just thinking I needed to pick up some more veg seeds.
    cheers,
    weebay

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Always glad to be enabling others. ;o) And thanks for checking, Started_with_bean. I quickly threw the link up there this morning whilst eating breakfast.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I ordered them too. Seems like a great deal if they send you what they describe. We'll see. Thanks for posting it.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thanks for the posting. I tried it also but did check out their ratings on Dave's Garden. They have had 4 positive, 1 neutral and 8 negative reviews in the last 12 months (most from the last month - 1 positive and 6 negatives) Most of the negatives were from retailers and customer service issues. For $4.99 I took a chance anyway - I'm easily enabled when it comes to seeds. It'll be interesting to compare experiences! Thanks again.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thanks again, LilBlossom! I received my seeds today - an assortment of vegetables, flowers and herbs. 25 packs in all - one or two doubles but that's fine. All are cerified organic. Thanks again for the tip.

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! That was fast, Zahzeen! I haven't received mine yet... *sulk* I hope I get mine soon too! Getting some more potting mix tomorrow so I can sow some more...

Also, on a note on customer service, one of my old managers had a good saying:
    If a customer has a good experience they on average tell one other person. If a customer has a bad experience they on average tell 10 other people. So, always take that into account when you see bad reviews. :o)

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thanks for the message, Lilblossom - you taught me something new. You have a pretty smart ex-manager. I agree with him/her. Anyone else received their seeds yet?

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not I... :o( Hoping to get them today so I can see if there is something I want to sow among them. If not, I'll just sow some more of what I have.

• siichan
    13 years ago

I ordered too, but still haven't received them :(

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, getting impatient now... I ordered BEFORE Zahzeen, and still have not received them... *sigh*

• weebay
    13 years ago

I haven't gotten mine yet either, Zahzeen was lucky to get theirs so early! :)

• norm1961
    13 years ago

I just checked the website, and it said that they have given away all of their seeds. They are no longer accepting requests.

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're still shipping out, according to their Facebook page. But yes, no new requests.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Has anyone else gotten their Seeds of Change seeds yet? I requested mine on March 31st, so a little more than three weeks ago.

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

I just wanted to chime in and say that I also ordered the seeds on the 31st based on seeing the offer mentioned on another board. Many people there didn't get their seeds either and we've come to realize that some people ordered their seeds, got the $4.99 charge on their credit cards when they placed the order, and received their seeds. Others (myself included) ordered the seeds, saw a pop-up "thank you" confirmation when placing the order, but were never charged for the seeds and never received them. Nobody (receivers or non-receivers) ever got an email order confirmation so it's no use trying to dig one up.

From what I understand, this is a fairly small company and they were offering a generous program. The deal was posted pretty quickly to slickdeals from what I heard at the other forum, and the company got slammed with orders. It looks like there was some technical glitch and many orders did not "take." I'm sad that I missed out on the deal when I thought that I got in on it right away, but I am glad that such a deal was offered and that a million free seeds were sent out even if none of them went to me. I think that if everyone who ordered and missed out caused a big stink for the company they would be seriously financially damaged (they're no amazon.com) and they would be discouraged from offering similar programs in the future, so I'm personally just taking it as a "win some, lose some" and leaving it at that.

Sorry that I don't have better news, I just wanted to explain what I'd learned so that others weren't left waiting and wondering. I hope that you all have many seeds on-hand to sow and that the loss of this offer won't hinder your gardens too greatly.

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered on the 31st and got charged (yes I checked my account), and have NOT received my seeds yet. I did contact them on Wednesday regarding this, and I got a callback today saying that they were still processing orders, and that I should receive my seeds within 3 weeks. I did mention that "a friend" (Zahzeen) ordered after me and had already received her seeds on the 9th. The rep had no explanation as to why that had happened, just that it had happened in some people's cases. I guess I just have to sit back and wait.

But yes, if you're still waiting, make sure you got charged on your card, before calling as a lot of people didn't get charged or the charge dropped off their credit card.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Seeds of Change is not a farily small company, they're a very large and popular organic seed company. In the past, I've made this order too, but for WinterSown, and the seeds have arrived promptly. In early January I viisted the SOC site and saw that they were making changes to their seed donation program and that the changes would be announced on February. It never happened. And then, a couple of weeks later, came out the announcement through forums that the program was now open to everyone whereas before it was open only to non-profits and other deserving groups. The masses, in their seed lust, wiped out the stock and left SOC stunned. It also stunned the non-profits who now can't get the seeds---why? Because they made the offer to the general public and the general public hit them with a tsunami of requests. Sigh. So, for better or worse, WinterSown is picking up the slack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Group Seed Request Form.

• weebay
    13 years ago

Seeds of Change has been under the Mars corp. since the late nineties.
    Quite a big company, ;)

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. It seems that I should get my seed company info from the garden forum not my bargain forum, eh?

• zahzeen
    12 years ago

Anyone else get their seeds yet?

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, not I. They say they should be received by May 15th on their FB page, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow afternoon before I call them. The thing is, last time I called, they didn't even have a way of tracking my order. I realize it's free, but you'd think I'd be entered into a system somehow and somewhere...

Next year they should go back to offering free seeds to charities instead, since that seemed to work just fine. I certainly won't be ordering from them in the future.

• weebay
    12 years ago

I received mine today. Hope everyone else gets theirs!

-weebay

• SoTX
    12 years ago

They sent out TEN MILLION seeds and I just found out about it! Maybe next time--if I remember to check.

• dorisl
    12 years ago

they were gone the first day. They could prolly give away the whole company if the filled all the orders.

There is actually a seeds of change rack at the hardware store.

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's good to hear, Weebay! They apparently sent out the last packs on Friday, so as long as USPS co-operates, people should start receiving theirs very soon.

Though from reading the FB page, some aren't very happy with their packages. *crosses fingers*

• weebay
    12 years ago

Well, I wouldn't complain cause it was a bunch of seeds for cheap, but if yours are like mine some packets I got 3-4 of the same kind, and most were cool season veg, too late to sow here. But it's ok by me, still good seed I'll grow in the fall or next spring.

So thanks again for the original tip.
    cheers,
    weebay

• LilBlossom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my seeds last week... and another 25 packs this week! They really have poor control over who got seeds and who didn't. I'm going to donate all the duplicate packs to Wintersown (and there are a few) plus all the ones I don't plan on sowing anyway. :o)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I received mine and find there are a lot of seed packets that I won't use. Most are duplicates of seeds I won't use too. I think there is really only one packet that I find of interest to use. So I will probably end up trading them when I find the time. I imagine they had a larger response then they expected and ran out of things quickly.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH