Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

Sprouts!

ellenrr
12 years ago

lavendar, cherry yarrow, and pink strawflower.

:)

Did a winter sowing workshop yesterday. A good time was had.

Comments (24)

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Congrats, Ellen!
    I've got pansies just starting to show!
    Here we go!!
    Shirley!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Here's what I have sprouting for me. I posted this on another thread but seeing sprouts is such a good thing! :)

Wild Blue Lupine (sown Dec. 20)
    Maltese Cross (Sown Dec. 20) (one of my containers of it)
    Shasta Daisy "Snow Lady" (Sown Jan. 1)
    Valerian (Sown Jan. 20)
    Gaillardia "Arizona Sun" (Sown Dec. 23)
    Feverfew (Sown Jan. 8)
    Double Feverfew
    Ipomopsis rubra
    Dorinicum "Little Leo"

And to add, I found these two containers sprouted yesterday.

Perennial Sweet Pea (Pink/Magenta) (Sown Dec. 26)
    Swamp Milkweed (Sown Dec. 23)

We're having snow showers here in PA today. It's a lion day for sure! Warmer again the middle of the week, I believe and then back to cooler temps.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• hopgood
    12 years ago

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture as I would like to say...These are my red corn poppies that sprouted on February 25th and have kind of frozen in time. It dipped to -10 C and -18C with the windchill the other night and I had to bring them in the unheated porch to save them:)

• msmashy
    12 years ago

My poppies, alyssum, lupines and wildflower mix are sprouting!

Ellen, Glad the workshop went well! I sent my extra seeds with Paul.

• aklinda
    12 years ago

I have many sprouts too - probably 75% of what I sowed in January is sprouted. I checked them yesterday for water since I can't depend on natural precip. I still have to sow tomatoes (for the first time - I usually buy them already started) and a couple of perennials and then I'm DONE with the sowing. I'm not even going to look at seeds in the store, except maybe for some sunflowers that I'll direct sow. I went nuts with the sowing this year and have prob 250 already sowed and another approx 50 to go.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Congratulations Ellenr! I got Tidytips, Clarkia, Yarrow "Summer Pastels' Mix, Giant Blue Larkspur, Thai Silk Poppies, 3 Agastache Sprouts and 1 Petunia Sprout. Excited about the latter.

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

So far I have 3 varieties of Bachelor Buttons, 7 different hollyhocks, aubrieta, 3 different delphiniums, carnation Chabaud giants, scabiosa Fama Deep Blue, tanacetum Painted Daisy, broccoli and kohlrabi, and holly (which was sown in January 2010). The holly can take up to 5 years to germinate so I'm very pleased to have it sprouted in 2.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aklinda,
    these are famous last words: "Then I'm done with sowing"

lol

Michele,thanks for sending seeds. I can't wait to go back in a couple of months and see how the novice winter-sowers did!

• GaelicGardener
    12 years ago

I put out 13 containers on 1/22 -- only one has sprouted -- Fiddleneck Purple Tansy -- should I be worried?

• dfshaw
    12 years ago

Here in Southern Michigan only my Clarkia has sprouted so far, but I anticipate more with temps in 60's and 70 (?!) next week. As a newbie WSer, I was completely geeked when I looked at the Clarkia jugs with their little green carpets of seedlings. I'm hooked!

Dean

• vv79
    12 years ago

I peeked at my containers this morning and it looks like the thyme, sage, tatsoi & dill have sprouted. This is my very first year WSing so this is all very exciting for me!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Galiecgardener,
    no, don't worry.
    It is still early.
    Depends on what you sowed- and where.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I found my first sprouts today. Rud hirta, gaillardia, and sempervivum tie for first place.

Since I've only sown 9 jugs of perennials, a third of my jugs have sprouted.

Karen

• emcd124
    12 years ago

I opened all mine up today for a sun bath, and I have sprouts galore:

Arugula (like crazy! both in SW and in ground)
    Kale
    Tomatoes --Yikes! (black tula; green zebra; sun gold)
    Green onions
    spinach
    Beets
    Swiss chard
    Mesculun lettuce mix
    jalapeno
    snap peas

alyssum

WOOT! But I am very concerned because I was stuck with some terrible moisture retaining Mirarcle Grow (blarg!) and a lot of my containers have a film of green yuck on top of the wet soil. I've got them open to try to dry today. think I can save them or are they a lost cause?

• Edie
    12 years ago

Got my first sprouts today!
    Lupine and bachelor buttons.

And I heard my first spring peepers today. There's a chorus in the woods behind my house right now. :-)

• doubleAmom
    12 years ago

Noticed my first sprouts today also and heard the peepers this morning on my way to work! What part of the finger lakes are you from Edie? I grew up in Hammondsport!

• organic_greenjeans
    12 years ago

Finally found some sprouts up yesterday! Spicy & plain mesclun salad blends, baby butter 'Tom Thumb' lettuce, spinach, scallions & I think one pea was up. I'll check again today! No delph's yet though, but with this crazy weather I'm not surprised!

Was in the upper 50's/low 60's last week, back down to 40's this week with lots of rain. Sowing some more HA's today & waiting on TA's for another week or two. I hope my timing is ok?

I must already be 'hooked' by WSing, because I have 2 people saving milk jugs so I can sow more. Milk jugs & garden seeds & sprouts, oh my!

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

We are having high temps in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s. It feels like June instead of March. I have sprouts of lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, blanketflower, allysum, sweet william, and shasta daisy.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Whoo! Finally made the sprout club!

Yesterday, I got onions.
    Today I also have Convolvulus (sp?) Blue enchantment, my son's spring mix, and Black Swan Poppy.

• GaelicGardener
    12 years ago

Yay!!! Besides the Purple Fiddle Tansy I have sprouts in the Sweet William, Chinese Houses, and Cherries Jubilee Yarrow jugs. I do so love those teeny, little bits of green!

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Two more today (and it is warming fast so there may be more soon. I'll try to get out with the camera soon.)
    My other batch of onions are up. Also sprouting are unidentified. Notation in my journal: "Cute dark pink flower grown from last season's butterfly mix".

• Edie
    12 years ago

I was out checking and opening containers in shorts today. Rose campion is sprouting too. Love this weather.

DoubleAmom, I've only been in the Finger Lakes a few years and don't even know where Hammondsport is without looking it up. I remember hearing the name in connection with wine, do you recommend a visit? I'm living just outside Ithaca now. I'm originally from a harbor town in southwest CT.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I did have just Clarkia sprouting, but the last two days of mid-70s to 80 have really exploded those seeds. Now I have (off the top of my head):

Snapdragon "Vanilla something"
    Agastache (two types)
    Melampodium
    Malva "Alba"
    Wild Blue Lupine
    New England Aster
    Galliardia
    Pansies (two types)

That's all I can remember, but I think I got most of them. I'm so torn about whether to start annual seeds or not. We routinely (I mean guaranteed!) have snow in April in a normal year. But this is so far from a normal year. It would be so nice to have really early blooms from the traditional annuals--and to even get a chance to save seeds from some of them! But, I'd be heart broken if they got zapped by a freeze. All right. I've convinced myself to wait a bit longer. I'll spend time preparing a really nice bed for them when they do sprout. I've got a great start to a "Purple Bed" in my new yard. It may turn into "Purple/Pink" as I add in the essential butterfly weeds and Joe Pye Weed, but I still think that would be lovely. I'll try to take before/during/after pictures both as the season progresses and each year as the perennials mature. Right now, many are still pre-gerninant little seeds. Hope everyone is having a beautiful day.

Martha

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I have no Agastache Sprouts! I think I planted them too deep. But I am going to plant out my Tidytips they have reached the top of the container.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus