Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Container Count / Zone Wars 2011-2012 ~ Official Count (5)

terrene
12 years ago

This is the fifth thread in the official Winter Sowing Container Count (affectionately known as Zone Wars).

The count runs from Dec 22, 2011 - May 1, 2012

Everyone is welcome to participate! To participate you simply post on this thread the number of containers you have wintersown. You can post daily, weekly, etc. Each time you post, please include your total count so far. For example:

'I sowed 5 more today for a total of 25 containers'.

How To Count Containers:

Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you feel your container is worth more than one, just use your judgment. Say, for example, you have one flat bin full of twenty cups with four different seeds. You can count it as 1, 4, or 20. The same for a lasagna pan you may plant several different types of seed in. Whatever you feel is right. We wont be peeking over your garden gate to count your containers ;)

How to List your Zone:

Make sure your zone is listed correctly on your member page so we can place you on the correct 'team'. You can edit your zone by clicking on Member Pages and then click Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences. You are welcome to use any guide you wish to determine your zone, as well as your own experience. If you are unsure of your zone, this Gardenweb page may help: Finding Your Zone.

If your member page does not list a zone, you must include the zone in your post. For example:
'I sowed 5 more today for Zone 7 for a total of 25 containers'.

If your member pages lists you on the border of 2 zones (such as 7b/8a) you need to decide which team to join for Zone Wars, and include it in your post. Or you can revise your member page and put 7b from now until May 1. Then after May 1 change it back to 7b/8a.

To see the latest count, click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet.

To see previous Container Count threads, click on this list of Zone Wars Threads prepared by River_crossroads.
{{gwi:345302}}

Everyone who is winter sowing is encouraged to participate.

Chatting, support, suggestions, and friendly rivalry are encouraged.

Every container counts so join the fun!!

~ Happy Sowing ~

Comments (149)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

17 containers for z5 for pixie_lou
    548 containers YTD

I only have 1 packet of seeds left. But sadly only 3 containers. Looks like I need to make a few trips to Dunkin Donuts and Dairy Queen over the next few days to collect those large plastic cups!

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

93 containers for zone 5

YTD 235

More to come

Fran

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

2 more containers for zone 5

YTD 237

Fran

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Add five more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 178! :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

planted 10 more half gal jugs for zone 5 making my total top 100 at 106 milk jugs. I am hooked on the half gallon milk jug. They hold each other in place in their corral of 2 x 4's and brick so the wind has not budged them. They look almost neat too.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Zone 8:
    28 more jugs planted for a total of 129.
    (I didn't plant all of them today, but since I last reported.)
    I love winter sowing!

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

~ Container Count / Zone Wars ~

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 3 . . . . . . . . . . . 12
    Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . . 483
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 4,635
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 4,280
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 2,399
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 1,073
    Zone 9 . . . . . . . . . . 182

Total Containers: 13,064

Good morning, winter sowers. Well there's only about 8 more days in the count. Time to push and get that last bit of sowing done! I prepared some containers yesterday by filling them with soil, and put them out on the deck to get rained on (yippee rain!). The easiest way I've used so far to wet the potting mix. Now to get the last bit of sowing done.

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing ~

"If you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk;
    happy for a long time, fall in love;
    happy forever, take up gardening."...Chinese saying

"We come from the earth.
    We return to the earth.
    And in between we garden."...Unknown

"'Just living is not enough,' said the butterfly.
    'One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.'"...Hans Christian Andersen

• dekprizm
    12 years ago

I am SHOCKED to see zone 5 winning the War!!! Please put down 51 for Zone 6 for dekprizm. Go Zone 6!!!!!

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

Hi Terrene, I tried to do a custom countdown to May 1 in a post but only readymade banners seem to be allowed. Please check countdown time. To get this countdown click on company page (I took "Generate Raw URL") or right click and copy from below in View Page Source. I have been tied up with bugs - warm winter equals lots of bugs! Lady in Red from wsing last year, seeds sent to me by generous sjc48/Shirley.

Click here for countdown to May Day!

{{gwi:364136}}

• DemonsHollowAsylum
    12 years ago

Ok, my very first post for the winter sowing here. I have had nothing but wind troubles this year. After 5, yes Five, attempts and tons of lost seeds and containers, I can finaly add to the zone war count. I am just sorry it is such a very low number. The wind has been so bad here that it even took the roof right off of my neighbors 16 by 28 ramada! So sorry zone five. But I will be better set up for next year.

Zone 5
    15 planted ( and very heavily barricaded!)
    total 15

Liz

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I sowed 76 today for zone 6 for a total of 245. clemetis, rose and coneflower

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Add 7 for for me a total of 159. For Zone 6.

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

come on zone 6 i am wintersown out i have over 200 containers. you guys have got to step up here...less than a week left. dont tell me i am going to have to really dig the marigold seeds out...tell me it isn't so? lol

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

Please add 4 more containers for zone 5 (Total 70)

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

Add 12 more containers for zone 5 so my total is 118.These are my only containers that are not half gallon milk jugs. They are upside down bottomless quart yogurt cups with the lid on the bottom and topped by a bottomless 2 liter soda bottle for a hot cap. Yet another experiment to protect tomatoes from late frost.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

Add 4 little containers to Zone 5 USDA. (Balcony doesn't fit much...) :O)

Very kind of you to do the count Terrene. I see you are doing a FANTASTIC job!!

• orgogal
    12 years ago

Hello! 26 milk jugs sown with goodies - most are up and look great!
    Happy growing season!
    Kathy Orgogal

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 4,674
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 4,414
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 2,399

Total Containers: 13,237

Good morning, winter sowers. Wow, lots of new counters popping the past couple days. Welcome to the count Dekprizm, DemonsHollowAsylum, Tiffy_z5__6_can, and Orgogal!! Good to see you back in the WS game Tiffy! River, I am all for having a countdown to the WS deadline, but that's above my head right now, so feel free to post that whenever you want. In the meantime, a reminder:

Dear counters: The deadline for the count is May 1, 2012, 23:59 or 11:59 PM. Get your numbers in before then, 'cuz this war can go either way! Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail.

~ Happy Sowing Everybody ~

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

23 more for Z5

YTD 260

Fran

More coming before the end.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Add five more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 183!
    :-)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

Hello Fellow WS'ers!
    Gosh, I have been one busy gardener/farmer! So, needless to say I have not been keeping up with anything inside, including being online. I have however sowed some more since my last post many moons ago. In fact, I have sowed another 351 containers for a grand total of 714! I do have a few things I still want to start, but it looks like they just might have to be direct sowed this year reusing the 2-Liter lids on top of them and the soil until they sprout.
    My fingers are dirty, my body is tired - but to look out and see all the beautiful growth from this year and last, makes me one happy wintersower! Especially the special ones from last year that did not flower, but now are covered with blooms like my Foxglove, Canterbury bells and hopefully soon Lupine! Thank you again Trudi - I'm hooked, for many years to come, I'm sure!
    Grand Total: 714 containers
    Zone 7!
    ~Best Wishes to all of you ~ Lisa/NC

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

75 more for zone 6 for a total of 320. Vegies more to come

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

112 more for Zone 5 and a YTD total of 502.

Don

• Kiskin
    11 years ago

Hi!

please add 10 more containers for zone 5. my new total is 80.

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 4,845
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 4,494
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . . 2,750

Total Containers: 13,839
    Good morning, winter sowers. Wow you've been busy Ldsluder! Some big numbers coming in, keep 'em coming!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail.

~ Happy Sowing Everybody ~

"The kiss of the sun for pardon.
    The song of the birds for mirth.
    One is nearer God's heart in a garden.
    Than anywhere else on earth."
    ...Dorothy Franes Blomfield Gurney

"I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation. It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a rose of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green."...Nathaniel Hawthorne

"My heart found its home long ago in the beauty, mystery, order and disorder of the flowering earth."...Lady Bird Johnson

• Connie Kru
    11 years ago

I planted 18 container
    13 sprouted and are all planted.
    Zone 6-SE Michigan

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spent 4 hours this afternoon sowing annuals and tomatoes. It's about time I usually do it a little earlier than this! And wanted the stuff off the floor!

49 containers for zone 5, total is now 183. Still have more daylily seeds to sow, and maybe a few odd things.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    11 years ago

Better late than not at all! Please add 82 for Zone 5 - I did my basil today for the last 5 containers but haven't reported any of them so would be a total of 82 for me.

Linda

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

Please add 5 more containers for zone 5; my running total is 479.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Add ten more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 193! :-)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

Add 15 more for zone 5; running total is 494.

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 4,996
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 4,505

Total Containers: 14,001
    Good morning, winter sowers. Welcome to the count Linda0210, and glad you added your containers.

TWO MORE DAYS TO GET YOUR CONTAINERS IN!
    ALL CONTAINERS ARE WELCOMED!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing Everybody ~

• utahmama
    11 years ago

Hi all....

I sowed 12 more last night....all of my tender annuals and I am done! I think that brings my total to 101, zone 5.

Kimber

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I am DONE DONE DONE DONE DONE

12 containers for z5 for pixie_lou
    560 containers Total for the year

right now I don't want to look at another seed for a good long time!

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Here I am with my final Zone Wars total:

Add eleven more for me here in Zone 6. My Grand Total is 204! :-)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• littleonefb
    11 years ago

20 more for Zone 5.
    YTD 280

I'm done, met my goal of under 300 containers this year. Sounds like a lot, but for me it's not much at all. Especially when 9 years ago I was well over 1000 containers.

That first year, WS Newbie stuff and you just sow and sow and sow.

Been cutting back now since the first year. Most of the beds are really full now and will only get the rare perennial now and will be doing just annuals.

But it's WS for them too.

HAPPY GARDENING TO EVERYONE, PLANTING THOSE SEEDLINGS AND LOVING ALL THE BLOOMS FROM THEM

Fran

• Kiskin
    11 years ago

Hi! Here are 42 more for zone 5, my total is now 112.

• Kiskin
    11 years ago

sorry, my total should be 122 (not 112, as I accidentally typed above)... :)

• momsinthegardenagain
    11 years ago

Hi There!

Please add in 30 more containers for zone 6. My total is now 45.

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

Just got in under the wire! Please add 20 for Zone 8. My final total is 366 - whew! I'll never get them all planted out, but that's not been the goal this year. My darling daughter is 1500 miles away and battling stage 4 breast cancer. Planting those jugs has been keeping my hands, heart and mind busy until she needs me. Thank you wintersowing forum for helping me stay calm.

• ymaddox
    11 years ago

add 8 more zone 6 for total of 238

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . . 5,082
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 4,554
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 1,093

Total Containers: 14,156

Good morning, winter sowers. Today is the last day to get your counts in. As it stands now, zone 5 has a solid lead, but could that change? Just a heads up, this will be my last post as the official counter and data entry person. River_crossroads will wrap up with the official winner and the final tallies tomorrow. Hope everybody has a great gardening year! (Barb_wa, I hope your daughter is okay.)

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Gardening Everybody!! ~

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

I've gone through my seeds and made the final separation for WSing, direct sown flowers and direct sown veggies. I'm ready for the final push on my lunch hour and this evening. I have 2 half gallon milk jugs and 24 gallon milk jugs that I'd like to use up. I also have dozens of cups and a dozen two-liters as backup but I don't think I'll need that many.

On second thought, I may move those melons from direct sown to WS. I think they would transplant well.

• jackalar
    11 years ago

I've sown a total of 56 containers in Zone 6.

I'm a WSing newbie. I sowed my first seeds about a month ago. Technically, I guess, that makes me a spring-sower. Although I've been a lurker at GW forums for a while, reading and learning, I just recently registered. WS is SO much fun - I just had to add my accomplishment to the count!

~jackie

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got the rest of the daylily seeds sowed tonight and I think I'm done with WSing!

12 more containers for zone 5. Final total 195 containers.

11 years ago

Hi all,

About 2 and one-half hours to go - the deadline for posting is almost upon us!

Deadline to post containers for Zone Wars: 11:59 pm (23:59) tonight! (Eastern Daylight Time)

That's what Terrene has previously announced. Please note that Gardenweb uses Eastern Daylight Time (Summer Time) for the date and time stamp. Any post dated Wednesday, May 2 does NOT count as we want to wrap this up and announce the winners!

You can see the date and time that will be on your post when you take "Preview Message." It's at the end of the line with your screenname.

Terrene has asked me to sort the spreadsheet and announce winners in various categories based on the sort. Exciting.

Here is a link to a clock showing different time zones. You can check how your local time differs from Eastern Time used in Boston, New York, or other cities in that time zone. Thanks to everyone for your hard work and for a fun competition. See you later!

Cities listed on link - Boston/New York vs Chicago/Dallas vs Denver/Salt Lake City vs San Francisco/Seattle

Here is a link that might be useful: Clock with time zones

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

Please add 33 more for zone 5; final total is 527.

11 years ago

Zone Wars Winners!First Place
    Second Place
    Third Place
    Zone 5 = 5127 Zone 6 = 4610 Zone 7 = 2750
    Individual Winner!ldsluder (Lisa, Zone 7) = 714
    Please click on the links to view the spreadsheets:
    Zone Wars Winners
    Individual Winners
    Mile High Club

Special thanks to Terrene for a terrific job, NancyPlants for her cheerful, colorful work, Bakemom for her newbie packs, and to our founder & leader, Trudi! I only do a few jugs but they are extremely important jugs. We are all winners and I thank you for the help that you give me. Congratulations to all you hard working people. Happy Gardening, everyone!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Thank you Terrene (and all others involved!) for keeping count for us this year. I always enjoy coming here to check on the competition and the progress, and I especially enjoyed the quotes you added also - nice touch!

Thank you!
    :)
    Dee

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Zone 5!

Sponsored